Mercedes AMG One not coming to the USA or Canada

Mercedes just let Chris Harris take two AMG Ones out on a track but both had issues. Initially it was slated for the USA and Canada and from reports Jeff Bezos and another Property mogul put down the full 2.75 million Euros for one. According to Mercedes it would take too much engineering to make it compliant for the North American market and ruin the driving dynamics. Supposedly there were between 4 and 8 orders in the usa and a couple in Canada. You'd have thought Mercedes would have developed it for the N/A market then tweaked the specs for Europe. It surprises me that the NHTSA can't grant a "low volume " exception for it as I think low volume manufacturers can get exemptions. Only 275 are being made.

Mercedes just let Chris Harris take two AMG Ones out on a track but both had issues.
Wasn't that 1-2 years ago ?

If they're only making a very small number, i.e. 275, they're not going to sacrifice anything in order to try and meet requirements for different markets. They'll sell all 275 in Europe...

Wasn't that 1-2 years ago ?

If they're only making a very small number, i.e. 275, they're not going to sacrifice anything in order to try and meet requirements for different markets. They'll sell all 275 in Europe...
No recently. They got behind due to the pandemic. I think they are just now starting to hit customer hands.

Mercedes just let Chris Harris take two AMG Ones out on a track but both had issues. Initially it was slated for the USA and Canada and from reports Jeff Bezos and another Property mogul put down the full 2.75 million Euros for one. According to Mercedes it would take too much engineering to make it compliant for the North American market and ruin the driving dynamics. Supposedly there were between 4 and 8 orders in the usa and a couple in Canada. You'd have thought Mercedes would have developed it for the N/A market then tweaked the specs for Europe. It surprises me that the NHTSA can't grant a "low volume " exception for it as I think low volume manufacturers can get exemptions. Only 275 are being made.
No point in developing anything for the US market, the market is too small. Even VW had a lot of really nice cars available that would never see US roads.

I think they are just now starting to hit customer hands.
Lewis Hamilton has one, doesn't he ? And Valterri Bottas just got his. At least I think those were the One models.

Found the earlier instance I was thinking of. It was about 9 months ago and one or the two cars they had available for him to drive at Nurburgring flaked out as well.

Last edited:
No point in developing anything for the US market, the market is too small. Even VW had a lot of really nice cars available that would never see US roads.
Actually the usa market is huge. Ferrari sells more vehicles in California than in Italy over several years. The biggest issue is the way the the crash standards are written. I met the vp of Ford a number of years back when he gave a speech at the university that i attended. More or less if a manufacturer changes a certain percentage of parts ie Porsche 911 vs the GT3 OR GT2RS it's considered a different platform thus requiring separate certification. With crash testing being 1-2 million a piece it adds up. However I'm surprised that Mercedes didn't learn from Koenigsegg. The first couple of models were European only. Christian von Koenigsegg couldn't wrap his head around the insane testing procedures required. Koenigsegg now uses a front clip a center monocoque and rear section. This was what allowed for them to test for the USA market to allow for vehicle sales. So Mercedes could have found a way but apparently it didn't think about it.

There should be one set standard for all countries.
well the problem with that my friend is simply who sets the standard. it's like the 2A, most countries have nothing like it and I wouldn't want to live like countries that don't allow it. just like every child has their own identity and own DNA. it seems to be from a perspective of mine that Europe is willing to sacrifice a catalytic converter to save an engine with some of their thicker oils and Euro specifications while in North America they're willing to sacrifice a motor to save a converter. don't get me wrong there are plenty of w20 oils in the boutique line that are up to the task, but the majority of them are not set up to go the distance that the oil life monitor is set up on. the happy medium for economy cars is no less than 0w30 in my honest opinion. it would be nice to see them also increase the minimum octane requirement to at least 88.5 to give the engineers a little bit more leeway in room and hopefully lower the fuel dilution. anyone can tune on the bare minimal 87 but I just don't think it's adequate. if they went back to ethanol 5% gasoline 95 maybe but that's above my pay grade. everyone on this board has an expertise or knowledge in something. mine just happens to be real life world road time in that in itself is a bag of worms but I humbly come to this forum to try and learn more than I knew yesterday and to try and help out my fellow man.

There should be one set standard for all countries.
The USA and Europe are working on that hence why the new mustang is rhd and sold in the uk and Australia. But Ford cheated a bit a few years back. From what I remember Australia didn't require side airbags but the USA does. Ford omitted them causing the mustang to perform poorly in the ANCAP test. This crazy since the USA version already had full side airbags and could have kept them in. The Ncap and NHTSA use slightly different specs for crashes. The iihs which is independently owned tests vehicles to a higher standard.

I see no reason why all countries can't have 1 person on a board, and they agree on a middle of the road set of standards for everything.
California is so out of control they can't even agree with the rest of the states, so stupid stuff like that would be tossed out. Vehicles don't need so many airbags, so why not a compromise, 1 bag per seat, no more or less.
You all get my point.
It really shouldn't be difficult at all.
195 countries, 1 person representing each country, so 195 votes on each thing. The majority of votes wins.
Easy!

Back