Buying a $7,000 truck

Be aware that an extended cab, at least in my area, will take a bit of a beating on resale value as compared to crew cabs. If it suits your needs and you're getting a good deal relative to the current market, not a problem.

I don’t know much about the afm honestly I should probably get a crash course education on that.
AFM relies on active lifters that sometimes stop activating. Worst case it damages the camshaft and you're looking at a cam, all new lifters and guides, etc. The VLOM, a manifold with solenoids in it that sits under the intake manifold, controls the active lifters and can be the root cause of failure. The idea behind disabling is that by keeping it in V8 mode, the active lifters will stay activated and won't go into the collapsed position and get stuck there. I have heard the most sure fire repair is to remove the AFM components completely if there is a failure requiring lifter replacement anyway.

I'd worry about it more if I was about to finance one for $25k. On a truck with over 200k with a good price, if it's not showing any signs of issues, I wouldn't worry too much. It has either been dealt with before, or the truck was well cared for, or it's just one of the ones that doesn't have an issue with the AFM. I'd stay on top of oil changes with a Dexos oil, use a disabler, and call it good.

looked at the truck above today and it was kind of rough. Oil leaks, cooler lines,
Trans line at the trans was leaking and the front diff was soaked also heavily smoked
in needed tires windshield side mirror taillight and was 2 quarts low on oil at least. Also had 267,000 miles on it not the 220,000 advertised so I found this truck in the same town at a dealership. Just came in hasn’t been detailed or anything yet. Needed sway bar links, tpms light is on and taillight was cracked. Transmission lines had a little seepage which is pretty normal on them as they age. It is missing the plastic tail gate trim piece on the tail gate. Had a little rust on the fender but underneath was a lot cleaner than the previous truck. The dealer said they’ll take care of all the issues. It is a 2wd but honestly that’s fine for my use and judging by seat wear and pedal wear and things like that it was a highway truck. I put a deposit on it and we will see what happens with it once it goes through the shop. It ran good shifted good and felt pretty solid and not abused. I obviously wish the miles were lower but it seems like most the things I find with lower miles are best and abused. Go figure!

Laura seems to be very well priced and high volume in new vehicles. Perhaps they will be motivated to move that used truck as well.

looked at the truck above today and it was kind of rough. Oil leaks, cooler lines,
Trans line at the trans was leaking and the front diff was soaked also heavily smoked
in needed tires windshield side mirror taillight and was 2 quarts low on oil at least. Also had 267,000 miles on it not the 220,000 advertised so I found this truck in the same town at a dealership. Just came in hasn’t been detailed or anything yet. Needed sway bar links, tpms light is on and taillight was cracked. Transmission lines had a little seepage which is pretty normal on them as they age. It is missing the plastic tail gate trim piece on the tail gate. Had a little rust on the fender but underneath was a lot cleaner than the previous truck. The dealer said they’ll take care of all the issues. It is a 2wd but honestly that’s fine for my use and judging by seat wear and pedal wear and things like that it was a highway truck. I put a deposit on it and we will see what happens with it once it goes through the shop. It ran good shifted good and felt pretty solid and not abused. I obviously wish the miles were lower but it seems like most the things I find with lower miles are best and abused. Go figure!

Your OP said you’re a family of 5 or 6 sometimes. I can’t see how an extended cab will be particularly comfortable. Do any of the riders require a baby carrier, rear facing or front facing child seat? Will a baby carrier or rear facing seat even fit in the rear of an extended cab? Assuming it’s a 6 foot bed, I don’t know how useful it is for canoes and kayaks - BTDT with a 6 ft bed in my S-10. The rust would concern me more than the other things you listed.

A short bed is pretty standard on a extended cab / crew cab truck long beds are tough to find. But yes it’ll do the job I need. Also our rear facing car seat fit with plenty of room to spare. Kids were comfortable to. I even fit I am 5ft 10 230lbs granted I wouldn’t want to ride back there for a trip but I did have a reasonable amount of room.

Might be a drive to OKC but this is a CRAZY INSANE good deal for the price !!

2011 1500 LTZ Ext cab
187K miles
5.3. maybeeee its a 6.0 since LTZ pkg ??
20" chrome wheels
4x4
bose stereo
looks HARD LOADED !!
187K miles
dealer asking $9655 you might get a better deal if you go bring cash in hand ??

1619074650687.jpg

1619074707330.jpg

1619074912857.jpg

Last edited:
Might be a drive to OKC but this is a CRAZY INSANE good deal for the price !!

2011 1500 LTZ Ext cab
187K miles
5.3. maybeeee its a 6.0 since LTZ pkg ??
20" chrome wheels
4x4
bose stereo
looks HARD LOADED !!
187K miles
dealer asking $9655 you might get a better deal if you go bring cash in hand ??

View attachment 54998

View attachment 54999
View attachment 55000

That looks pretty good--despite being outside the OP's price range--but what's the catch? Usually if it's too good to be true... it is.

That looks pretty good--despite being outside the OP's price range--but what's the catch? Usually if it's too good to be true... it is.
LTZ's normally are not the bigger motor. That's too cheap...something is amiss.

Well.... I didn’t take the advice given here I found this truck today locally at a shop for sale. The guys been in business 30+ years. Anyway. I pulled the trigger on it because it had no rust Regular services it was a fleet truck for a local company it spent most its life driving from me to Kansas City and such. He bought it last winter for his guys to fix when they were slow and they never got around to it. A worker had overheated the engine because the original water pump failed at 270,000 miles. 😂😂 so he put a used engine in it with 101k on it. Has 271,000 currently. Runs great shifts great has some damage to the bed and tailgate but I don’t care about that. It’s a 2012 with the 5.0 2wd. Paid $5000 for it.

Attachments

• 99F232DA-9CD2-4F99-9330-5390D83FB562.jpg
    99F232DA-9CD2-4F99-9330-5390D83FB562.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DB1D4A6F-DD43-4730-A790-9950C652C639.jpeg
    DB1D4A6F-DD43-4730-A790-9950C652C639.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 55
  • B185BC03-D751-4582-A877-58C9F9B0E07F.jpg
    B185BC03-D751-4582-A877-58C9F9B0E07F.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 55
Well.... I didn’t take the advice given here I found this truck today locally at a shop for sale. The guys been in business 30+ years. Anyway. I pulled the trigger on it because it had no rust Regular services it was a fleet truck for a local company it spent most its life driving from me to Kansas City and such. He bought it last winter for his guys to fix when they were slow and they never got around to it. A worker had overheated the engine because the original water pump failed at 270,000 miles. 😂😂 so he put a used engine in it with 101k on it. Has 271,000 currently. Runs great shifts great has some damage to the bed and tailgate but I don’t care about that. It’s a 2012 with the 5.0 2wd. Paid $5000 for it.

Not a "Furd" guy but thats a GOOD DEAL for a rust free 4 door 5.0 !! And fleet vehicles are best bang for your buck with service programs !!

Hey if your happy with it then that's all that matters :cool: (y)

Dave

Pretty much. To be fair, in today's marketplace, it isn't a shabby deal for someone who has the ability (and willingness) to do their own repairs.
It runs great. Honestly if you didn’t look at the odometer you wouldn’t know it had the miles on it that it does. Even the interior is in good shape no rips or tears ect. Kind of crazy how clean inside it is.

Great find! A 10 year old fullsize V8 extended cab in good running/driving condition with no rust for $5k is a great deal regardless of miles or brand, plus a low mile replacement engine. You're definitely not going to find a better deal than that right now.

Great find! A 10 year old fullsize V8 extended cab in good running/driving condition with no rust for $5k is a great deal regardless of miles or brand, plus a low mile replacement engine. You're definitely not going to find a better deal than that right now.
The 5.0 is pretty impressive to. I’ve driven an eco boost they’re also very impressive but way more things to go wrong! The 5.0 has more power than I’ll ever need. And the transmission is terrific it shifts great. Very quick and efficient. Glad I went newer for sure.

Back