Buying a $7,000 truck

We have gotten in to more outside activities such as canoeing and kayaking and boating. Interesting how COVID has made us more outdoorsy. that being said my wife has been begging for another vehicle we can all fit in. We are a family of 5 most the time but occasionally we have 6 total. We have the grand caravan which has been relatively great for hauling people but it doesn’t pull a boat or do any of that stuff. Also in our quest to not have a car payment we would like to have another decent vehicle that can haul the whole family. A truck makes sense for our lifestyle and where we live. The road in the snow last winter was a major pain and it would have been nice to have a truck or something more capable. So we are going to spend around $7,000 on a truck. Strongly prefer a 4x4 and has to be club cab six seater. I did sell a truck at the beginning of the year since it was a single cab we never used it. So it has to be a double cab crew cab what have you. This price range puts me in first gen hemis ( I probably wouldn’t buy a 4.7) the 4.6 or the 5.4 Ford or the Chevy 4.8/5.3. I see a lot of 5.4 fords around for sale but I know the spark plug issues and the cam phaser issues and don’t know who if it make sense to go that route. The hemi I don’t know a ton about but as far as I know they are decent and the drivetrain in general is decent. The Chevys are probably the simplest and I don’t know of many issues with them. The occasional transmission, brake lines rust out. For the money what would you look for what would you stay away from? I haven’t ever owned a truck newer than 01 and that was a 318 ram so it was pretty old tech. I don’t have a lot of first hand experience on the mid 2,000s trucks and such. What mileage would you want to stay under? Ect whatever pointers you can provide with trucks of this era is helpful and appreciated.

We have gotten in to more outside activities such as canoeing and kayaking and boating. Interesting how COVID has made us more outdoorsy. that being said my wife has been begging for another vehicle we can all fit in. We are a family of 5 most the time but occasionally we have 6 total. We have the grand caravan which has been relatively great for hauling people but it doesn’t pull a boat or do any of that stuff. Also in our quest to not have a car payment we would like to have another decent vehicle that can haul the whole family. A truck makes sense for our lifestyle and where we live. The road in the snow last winter was a major pain and it would have been nice to have a truck or something more capable. So we are going to spend around $7,000 on a truck. Strongly prefer a 4x4 and has to be club cab six seater. I did sell a truck at the beginning of the year since it was a single cab we never used it. So it has to be a double cab crew cab what have you. This price range puts me in first gen hemis ( I probably wouldn’t buy a 4.7) the 4.6 or the 5.4 Ford or the Chevy 4.8/5.3. I see a lot of 5.4 fords around for sale but I know the spark plug issues and the cam phaser issues and don’t know who if it make sense to go that route. The hemi I don’t know a ton about but as far as I know they are decent and the drivetrain in general is decent. The Chevys are probably the simplest and I don’t know of many issues with them. The occasional transmission, brake lines rust out. For the money what would you look for what would you stay away from? I haven’t ever owned a truck newer than 01 and that was a 318 ram so it was pretty old tech. I don’t have a lot of first hand experience on the mid 2,000s trucks and such. What mileage would you want to stay under? Ect whatever pointers you can provide with trucks of this era is helpful and appreciated.
7000 dollars does not get you much truck or it gets you lots of miles(around here at least.) The 1999 to 2007 LS based GM trucks are pretty good. You mentioned all of their big issues. What is nice is they are cheaper and easier to fix than the other two. Having said that with your budget and age you are looking first at condition, then you go from there.

To be honest you might be able to find a 1999 to 2007 GM 2500/3500HD gasser in that price range for what you want to do and you get a 6.0/4L80E. The 6.0 is like it's smaller siblings the 4.8 and 5.3 but the 4L80E is solid. They don't ride horrible and will do the same job a 1/2 ton will only better.

Truck prices are pretty high, and $7k buys much less of a truck than a used car. At that price point, I'd buy on condition more than anything, (i.e., pick good shape and no rust over rough condition but fewer miles, maybe compromise on brand for better condition, that sort of thing). I wouldn't be scared of a higher mileage '05ish Silverado, but you have to manage your expectations... it'll probably have a check engine light and/or ABS light on, maybe a ripped drivers seat, a dent or two, that sort of thing. You're far enough south to avoid a lot of the Swiss cheese trucks from the north, but you'll want to make sure you're not buying a Michigan truck that got shipped down to Missouri. I'd also check classified ads and Craigslist; if you have time to wait this out you might find "the one" that's in great shape vs. going to a used lot and rushing into the first thing you see.

I'm not sure how tight your budget is, but if $7k is a fixed number and is all you've got for the auto budget period, I would consider looking for trucks at $5-6k and saving a grand or two for potential trouble down the road, in case something you buy needs work right away (and at that price point you don't want to be/shouldn't be surprised if you needed a tranny rebuild six months in or something).

I wanted to add intake gaskets might need to be done on the LS based engines along with knock sensors, but that is a couple of hours and 200 bucks if you are handy.

Reactions: JC1
I've had a few 2004-08 generation F150s and found them quite nice. Stay with the 4.6L and avoid all the spark plug and cam phaser issues. The next gen 09-14 models are more refined and comfortable but probably out of your price range unless over 200,000 miles. If you expect to carry 6 people often, an SUV would be a better choice.

Not going to find anything reliable or decent for that …
Its age + miles in 4WD LT’s. Transmission or transfer case goes out and now what ?
Look around $12k+ and it’s light years better with a small payment after $7k down …

Around here 7k in a crew cab typically means: An early 2000 to 2010 truck with usually 200k mile or more on it. Buy on condition more than brand if that is what you are after. Yes, the '04 up Ford 3V 5.4 engines are not great - plugs that break when they come out and cam phaser issues (I owned an '04 and wouldn't buy another one...). The 2V version I'd be fine with.

These look nice in your area,

1500HD

Best of both worlds 3/4 ton running gear. Not an unreasonable price.

Yup had one !! 2001 155K miles best $1700 I ever spent 🤪 :ROFLMAO: (y) :cool:

Sold it for $6500 when used truck prices spiked last summer

Dave

1618445164855.jpg

For a higher mileage truck in your price range I would be looking at GM products. Long lived, reliable and the cheapest for major repairs. Not sure what it is like where you live, but 7 grand doesn't buy much of a truck of any brand around here. Good Luck.

I miss those trucks.....

Ya it was a good rig for what I needed to use it for and I prefer that generation LSX no AFM garbage

BUT !!!!!!

They had this one '08 LT RWD 4.8 130K miles (no AFM junk) for $6500 out the door. 🤪 (y) :cool: I would have been a moron not to buy it lol !!

Aside from the bad typical door lock actuators, "Exploded" cracked dash and oil pressure sensor its been a good rig !! Only thing I dont like about it is it has a grey interior. I prefer black

Dave

1618447265843.jpg

Like others have said for $7k buy on condition not brand. They all have their quirks, and odds are at the mileage 7k trucks are going to be at they will probably have already happened and been dealt with.

You’re better off putting that 7K down on something decent with a small payment as previously stated. 7K gets you a beat up, fixer upper

How much snow do you get? Your wish list is like so many others I've seen-- everything!

If you had to scratch one thing off your list, 4x4 should be it. Better odds of a more solid frame since it won't have been driven in the snow... maybe.

But like said, condition, condition, condition.

Back