2018 Silverado 3500HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nthach

And if the OP works in the city, a 3/4-1 ton is a nightmare to drive around in.

I say look for a GM 1500 or F-150. Even a smaller Tacoma/Frontier would be fine. If the OP really has the diesel itch, it's either the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel or Chevy Colorado with the 2.8L I4 diesel.

I believe the overall truck is about the same size as the 1/2 ton, just heavier duty components. Should be easier to drive than a 1/2 ton ext cab or crew cab since it's shorter. I know my C2500HD '97 is. IMO it's the crew cab long beds that are a PITA.

Originally Posted By: CKN
The AFM on the 5.3 can be deactivated with this popular device-

https://rangetechnology.com/

For your needs anything over a half-ton is more truck than you need.

As others have mentioned-I would get a double cab to have at least some semblance of extra seating.

Regular cabs are cheap because nobody wants them. Period.

And because they don't have the optional 'glitter and glam' package.

The 'man card' is also optional.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

I think this would be a decent "truck"

2013 Honda Ridgeline

It's about half the price of the trucks I'm looking at too....

How do you cross shop a 3500HD and a Ridgeline?
crazy2.gif
The Ridgeline is an Odyssey with a shelf.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
He would be probably do OK with a Honda Ridgeline for his needs. Plus I think he's a Honda guy to begin with as an added bonus.

I think this would be a decent "truck"

2013 Honda Ridgeline

It's about half the price of the trucks I'm looking at too....

Wait … you look like that guy that wanted a 3500 … and now a cross over truck ? Just kidding … I don’t like 1500’s either … HD or small trucks like the ZR2 …
As mentioned … look at some Chevy/GMC 2500’s … Stout driveline/engine and keep more of the fillings in your teeth …

My daughter has a 2018 3500 Highcountry crew cab 6.6L and thinks the suspension is too soft and tires too small.
Fixed the latter with the 275/65/20s off my 2011 2500.

I like the HDs, for one, I can grease all the suspension and steering bits. A few hard to get at are above the front shield and behind the front wheels.

I buy Diesels, but the trucks at work are 6.0L which improve MPG with use. I found they like 15W40 in the summer and the mileage improved over Dexox 5W30. Go figure?

275/70 18s will fit without rubbing.

If you don't need a daily HD truck I would guess a Ridgeline would be quite a bit more sensible.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ

I believe the overall truck is about the same size as the 1/2 ton, just heavier duty components. Should be easier to drive than a 1/2 ton ext cab or crew cab since it's shorter. I know my C2500HD '97 is. IMO it's the crew cab long beds that are a PITA.

Good point - as I look out the window at work a lot of the trucks driven by the contractors out here are long-bed 1/2 tons, although I see more Fords then GM.

Of course having a City of San Francisco contractor's parking permit that allows parking on yellow curbs doesn't hurt either.

I bought a new 3/4 ton gasser pickup once with 4:10 gears on the rear axle and 4-wheel drive. It was much, much more truck than I needed. The Big mistake even though it was priced very nicely and less than a better optioned 150.

Yes it was cool to drive, but the gas mileage was horrible. I could get a good 12 MPG, but only with a stiff tailwind on a downhill slope. I didn't mind the rough ride because I didn't put all that many miles on the truck as I couldn't justify the gas bill.

I bought the truck yesterday. I love it!

List was $42750 with all options.
I got him down to approx. $37.4k
$40.2k OTD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
That 3500HD has "Man Card" written all over it. Awesome looking truck.

Yep-and they ride (empty) like garbage. Have you rode in one? Very curious.....

Hey CKN: This is completely FALSE. The truck does NOT ride like garbage. Yes, if I hit a pot hole or a big dip/wave in the pavement, it can be a bit rough. But driving it around town isn't a problem at all. And on the highway, it's really smooth. I've got 1200 miles on it and so far, the heaviest load I've put in the bed was 600 pounds of bagged feed. I don't think the ride height even budged a little bit....LOL!!

I bought a receiver for it last week to pull a utility trailer around and this headache rack is being installed on Friday.

Looks good!

How does it handle a series of potholes? or washboard. My half-ton handles the first pothole fine, but it's the subsequent ones that shows its truck roots. Maybe that is what CKN is after.

Originally Posted By: supton
Looks good!

How does it handle a series of potholes? or washboard. My half-ton handles the first pothole fine, but it's the subsequent ones that shows its truck roots. Maybe that is what CKN is after.

No idea. We don't have roads with a series of potholes here in Angola, IN. And I probably won't have any chances to drive this truck on dirt roads either....all of our rural road surfaces are paved here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back