2018 Silverado 3500HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a 2018 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab for $33k, doesn't have a tow hitch yet though

Link

Here's a 2018 2500 with a snow plow for $35,400

Link

And a 2018 2500, no hitch yet, for $31,200. Might be able to get it for even less

Link

The AFM on the 5.3 can be deactivated with this popular device-

https://rangetechnology.com/

For your needs anything over a half-ton is more truck than you need.

As others have mentioned-I would get a double cab to have at least some semblance of extra seating.

Regular cabs are cheap because nobody wants them. Period.

Last edited:
He would be probably do OK with a Honda Ridgeline for his needs. Plus I think he's a Honda guy to begin with as an added bonus.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'm going to use this truck for driving to work (3 miles each way, I'm a chemist), running errands, projects around the house, and I have a small hobby farm that I need to haul hay, feed, and manure around in.

I want the windows tinted. The bed has already been coated at the factory.

Or a Tacoma for 25k.

Link

Bambam said:
MPG is going to be dismal, I would opt for a diesel, but I'm biased.. [/quo

Have you looked at the price of VERY USED diesels lately? The new one's drink DEF like an alcoholic so the used one's have high miles or are beat up or overpriced or all three.

Unless your towing over 20,000 pounds there is absolutely no need for a diesel.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Bambam
MPG is going to be dismal, I would opt for a diesel, but I'm biased..

Have you looked at the price of VERY USED diesels lately? The new one's drink DEF like an alcoholic so the used one's have high miles or are beat up or overpriced or all three.

I get about 1000 mpg of DEF, towing approx. 24k.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Go hang out on the Nissan Titans boards and look what the Cummings DEF rate is.

Last edited:

Go hang out on the Nissan Titans boards and look what the Cummings DEF rate is.

Why? I don't own a Nissan Titan. A Nissan Titan is not the only Diesel powered pickup out there. Finally it's Cummins. No g.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Keep away from the new diesels nothing but a headache. Unless you're pulling a heavy load on a regular basis there money pits

That's what lots of people who don't own one, say. No problems with mine, and the vast majority of actual owners say the same..

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
He would be probably do OK with a Honda Ridgeline for his needs. Plus I think he's a Honda guy to begin with as an added bonus.

I think this would be a decent "truck"

2013 Honda Ridgeline

It's about half the price of the trucks I'm looking at too....

I had a few regular cab trucks and they meet my needs at the time. My most recent truck purchase was an extended cab 4WD because I needed it to transport elderly parents in snowy conditions, in addition to myself and my wife, which not the situation you are in. Get what you need or want and don't worry about other opinions.

As to a HD truck vs. regular duty, if you are in a situation with your farm where you need to haul, there is never too much capacity, while there can be too little. If you aren't worried about 20% additional fuel usage, get what you want. With such short distances to drive, I don't think fuel usage is much of a consideration.

I looked up GM Employee pricing on the truck, which used to be approximately invoice less holdback and incentives. You should be able to get the truck for about that price. A good deal on that truck would be list minus $3200 and less the $500 incentive currently available on the vehicle for a total $3700 discount. TrueCar indicates the truck should be available in my area for a similar discount.

I'd offer $35,300 for the truck, and ask them to throw in the tint. I'd increase my offer by their cost of tint if necessary.

And I wouldn't settle for a Honda minivan with a bed, but that's just me.

Keep away from the new diesels nothing but a headache. Unless you're pulling a heavy load on a regular basis there money pits

That's what lots of people who don't own one, say. No problems with mine, and the vast majority of actual owners say the same..

It's a fact if you have fuel issues it almost the cost of a gasoline motor's short block. The Ford boards are full of stories how Ford (and they are not alone) denying multi-thousand repairs because of alleged "fuel issues".

Last edited:
Go for it. That's what a truck used to be before they got 4 doors and short beds and car interiors... but it needs more tire.

You're looking for something outside of the mainstream, Ridgelines and 1500 crew cabs aren't going to scratch that itch.

Weren't you looking at some old grain truck with a dually bed box for a DD a while ago?

Do it. 3500 RCLB is the ultimate tough guy truck, too bad they don't make them with manuals anymore.

I know what you mean, half tons are bro trucks and soccer mom mobiles now. If you can get black wheels with chrome center caps it would be perfect.

Whoever said no one wants reg cab anymore, they are work trucks. You do have a point, but a RCLB truck is usually part of a fleet of trucks and is dedicated strictly to large loads.

Honestly man I would be looking for that 75-87 with a diesel. 6.2 or something swapped in, preferably a detroit diesel
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
That 3500HD has "Man Card" written all over it. Awesome looking truck.

Yep-and they ride (empty) like garbage. Have you rode in one? Very curious.....

It's a fact if you have fuel issues it almost the cost of a gasoline motor's short block. The Ford boards are full of stories how Ford (and they are not alone) denying multi-thousand repairs because of alleged "fuel issues".

That's why I don't own a Ford Super Duty with their in-house 6.7 Diesel. The fact remains that it is still a small percentage of owners that have issues with the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP. But Ford does have a track record of denying warranty claims, even through no fault of the owner. When I drove all three brands, and talked to my colleagues who are still in consumer automotive repair about what they are seeing, I took all of the pluses and minuses into account.

None of the older trucks that don't use DEF are rated to tow what I tow. In fact only two current makes are rated to tow what I tow. Even at 24k lbs, I'm still 3+ tons under the tow rating.

So, I am familiar with the potential issues. But also know that actually having issues is unlikely.

I won't dispute you on that but it's overkill for the OP's purposes. Plus he's gonna have DPF/SCR issues with his commute unless there's a way to take that truck on a nice long drive on the weekend with some loading to get the DPF/SCR to enter passive regen to keep it from plugging. Granted, SCR systems are much better than DPF-only systems for soot loading.

And if the OP works in the city, a 3/4-1 ton is a nightmare to drive around in.

I say look for a GM 1500 or F-150. Even a smaller Tacoma/Frontier would be fine. If the OP really has the diesel itch, it's either the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel or Chevy Colorado with the 2.8L I4 diesel.

Originally Posted By: nthach

I won't dispute you on that but it's overkill for the OP's purposes. Plus he's gonna have DPF/SCR issues with his commute unless there's a way to take that truck on a nice long drive on the weekend with some loading to get the DPF/SCR to enter passive regen to keep it from plugging. Granted, SCR systems are much better than DPF-only systems for soot loading.

And if the OP works in the city, a 3/4-1 ton is a nightmare to drive around in.

I say look for a GM 1500 or F-150. Even a smaller Tacoma/Frontier would be fine. If the OP really has the diesel itch, it's either the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel or Chevy Colorado with the 2.8L I4 diesel.

The 3500 HD truck the OP is considering, is gasoline powered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back