2017 Ram 3500 CTD update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just figured out how to post some pictures and figured it was time for an update.

Ram 3500 Megacab CTD, AS69RC transmission, SLT trim. Bought new January 2017. It now has over 50,000km, around 23,000km towing. I still love this truck! The high cost of purchase, for once does not bug me. It has a few dents and bruises now but overall it seems well built. The paint is thinner than the 2011 1500 we owned prior so this things chips much easier. To offset this I put on Bushwacker OE fender flares and left them the factory black plastic finish. It actually looks great against the True Blue color and they can take a beating on the gravel roads. We just added a sweep to it and that seems to tame a bit of the flying debris.

We upgraded to Duratracs back in April and they look great on the truck and we are quite happy we bought them. They have now been all across western Canada with no issues at all.

We still love getting the Megacab. Lots of room for the kids and other junk that ends up in the cab on trips. Lots of room when the wife has clients in the truck as well. Very comfortable. Yes the blind spots are not great but its a big truck and you get used to it.

Maintenance is about what you expect for a diesel but nothing crazy. I have the oil changes down to 70$ every 24,000km, the fuel filters I can find on sale at Cummins for 135$ all in. Def usage is not to bad but one day I will make it a non issue. I just hate greasing the cardan joint as it is a pain but doable. Just waiting to do a drain and fill of the Aisin.

Now where this truck shines is out on the highway and with a trailer. The Aisin shifts great, holds gears and is not in a rush to hit top gear. My wife had no issues or any drama towing 10k lb trailer with horses through the rockies. For those who only occasionally tow and contemplate getting a gasser, there is no comparison. The exhaust brake still amazes me, we use it every time we drive the truck. You cannot get that level of control with a gasser, hands down it is the best. You pay more up front and the CTD does demand a bit more in maint. costs but I found the offset with greater fuel mileage, greater trailer control and I can carry more weight per trip so it balances out. We opted for a SLT trim so that offset the cost of the diesel/trans instead of paying for fake leather and other extras we have no need or want. We are still more than happy with this truck and greatly recommend a 4th gen for anyone looking.

Now on for problems: The Sirius radio had some issues. We have the 3.0 touch screen so its nothing fancy but the Sirius would freeze up time to time. It eventually corrected itself but we never use it. We find its a lot of money for the privilege of changing channels all day. The shift interlock recall was done. Our truck did not require the water pump recall. The only other issue was the rear sliding/heated window. The slider still works but the heating element just quit so warranty will cover a new window. That's it for issues.

I have a 2010 gas w 5.7 hemi. I have had many problems with the driveshaft carrier bearings, pinion bearings, and bearings inside both axles as well as a set of rear gears sets gone bad. My rear is the only 10.5”, but we share the same 9 1/4” front axle from AAM. Had everything covered under extended warrantee I got when I bought the truck used. $ well spent!! Just something to keep an eye on.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I looks like you need that Pick up . It works hard.

I also like seeing a truck put to heavy duty use..... not being a garage queen and owner cry went it has a spec of dirt on paint.

Thanks guys. We picked this truck as the best mix of work and personal use. You clean it up and it is amazing on long highway trips. It tracks amazing on both asphalt and gravel roads. You set the cruise and it returns similar fuel mileage as my Tb.

But yes we try to get our moneys worth out of it. The previous half ton we worked far to hard. I would run that bale wagon with only 6 (1600lb) bales on it and you creeped down the highway to ensure you maintained control. This thing you throw ten bales on and roll out. I can get more bales in the yard in less time and less fuel with far more control.

3 months in my wife had it in Red Deer at a horse show. She was changing lanes and some car though it could zip around her and the trailer. You can see the lip of the bumper, driver side as it rolls into the wheel arch. This got scuffed and pushed in. It was maddening but this is life. Its got rock chips and other signs of use but that is all cosmetic. I have so much more fun driving when not sweating the small stuff.

Thanks for the info on the driveline. One thing I found out about, after buying the truck is highway vibration issue many of these trucks have. Apparently the two piece shafts and poor leaf spring design can account for quite a problem at speed. We test drove a few trucks and never witnessed it. Bought this truck without seeing it (knew we wanted the options) and low and behold it ran like a champ. Found it had the 1 piece aluminum driveshaft and no driveline issues. I checked the magnetic fill plug on the rear diff a few months back and it had very little fine ferrous material. I swapped out the fluid to some 80w140 I have sitting around from the last truck, should last better than the factory 85 weight that poured out during the swap.

Sounds like it's performing up to your expectations.
cool.gif

I'm still enjoying my RAM 3500 Dually, which you were an influence in our buying. It tows the heavy 5th wheel toy hauler beautifully. No issues at all to date, though I only have a bit over 5k miles.

Thanks for the update. I sold my 2017 3500 a few months ago and went back to a gas engine for the next couple years. My 2017 had the 68RFE which is junk and that was the main reason for getting rid of it. My plan is to see what RAM will be doing when they get the HD trucks production back in the USA. They have to be looking at a body redesign so I am hopeful they wow us with the 2020 model. I am a Ford guy first and foremost but I really don't think I'll buy a Ford diesel again. I really like the much more simple Cummins diesel that is made for pulling and gets much better fuel economy.

Thanks guys, ya that was another reason for the Cummins, its simplicity. I know it is still complex and jammed into the engine bay but it is a [censored] of a lot easier to fix or swap out components than the Dmax or PS.

As for the transmission.... I love the Aisin! So glad we shelled out for it. It shifts great under load and holds gears. Its maintenance schedule is overstated, they want fluid every 48,000km and a filter every 96. A bit excessive but they base that off the assumption it will be used to its max in a commercial setting every day. Oh well, Mobil 3309 or equivalent is nothing fancy.
I recommend this transmission hands down.

So I did a couple rips out to get hay from a new guy (First cut alfalfa is garbage right now). First pic was about 200 small squares that averaged 55 pounds each. They were hard to stack due to the variations in sizing but the load remained solid. The second was from yesterday. The bales look weathered compared to ones that are netted but the quality is there. I ran through a scale at a nearby seed plant. Total combined weight, trailer, 10 bales and truck with 3/4 tank of fuel was 13,830kg. You knew the trailer was there but man this truck can work! Both trips had about a 150km loaded return trip.

Should be a Ram commercial!

I loaded and off-loaded many a wagon full of hay bails in my teenage years.. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back