Bought some hpl 5w40

What are the certs on that oil? Let us know how that works out for you..........
I couldnt really care about certifications, only reason why I bought it was because 2.0 TSI is turbocharged and I dont think its a good idea putting some crusty 15w40 t4 rotella in it. If it was naturally aspirated you bet im going to use the cheapest hdeo money can buy.

I couldnt really care about certifications, only reason why I bought it was because 2.0 TSI is turbocharged and I dont think its a good idea putting some crusty 15w40 t4 rotella in it. If it was naturally aspirated you bet im going to use the cheapest hdeo money can buy.
What year is your Jetta?

Oh my god, 107 dollars for 6 quarts of Euro 5w40, but I know I will be getting quality oil that is just as good as 15w40. Anything for the new Jetta I guess :cautious:
Buying 12 -16 qt at a time is the sweet spot.

What are the certs on that oil? Let us know how that works out for you..........
The base additive package is approved for:
  • VW 502 00/505 00, Porsche A40, ACEA A3/B4, API SN/CF, Daimler MB 229.5/226.5, Renault RN0700/0710, PSA (2018) B71 2296
However, the oil itself has not been formally submitted for those approvals. Whether somebody is comfortable with that or not is up to them. If somebody were to do a VOA or UOA, it would have typical levels for most things for an oil with those formal approvals, but Dr. Rudnick will have tweaked/fortified some component concentrations, which will be different (like moly for example).

Quality oil cost money.
When I bought 4/5L jugs (21 quarts) of RAVENOL VOLLSYNTH TURBO VST 5W-40 which has BMW Longlife-01, MB-Freigabe 229.5, Porsche A40, Renault RN0700/RN0710, VW 502 00, VW 505 00 approvals I paid $276. But at least shipping was free so the cost per quart was little over $13.

If I didn't have on hand
5/5L jugs RAVENOL VollSynth Turbo VST 5W-40
6/5QT jugs QSFS Euro 5W-40
I would pull the trigger on 4/1Gallon HPL 5W-40
I calculated that with discount + shipping I'd pay little over $15 per quart which is only about $2 more what I paid for quart of Ravenol.

• VW 502 00/505 00, Porsche A40, ACEA A3/B4, API SN/CF, Daimler MB 229.5/226.5, Renault RN0700/0710, PSA (2018) B71 2296
However, the oil itself has not been formally submitted for those approvals. Whether somebody is comfortable with that or not is up to them. If somebody were to do a VOA or UOA, it would have typical levels for most things for an oil with those formal approvals, but Dr. Rudnick will have tweaked/fortified some component concentrations, which will be different (like moly for example).
Thanks Overkill. Cents do matter.

That crusty Rotella T4 is good enough for thousands of Penske tractor engines which are also turbocharged. Their power and torque output is exponentially higher than your 2.0, and their replacement cost is as much as your car. The fact they have millions invested in those engines, yet trust T4 to 50,000 mile oil change intervals is a testament to its worthiness.

Enjoy the HPL, it's a fine product.

According to HPL, the oil meets or exceeds:

VW 502 00/505 00
Porsche A40
ACEA A3/B4
API SN/CF
Daimler MB 229.5/226.5
Renault RN0700/0710
PSA (2018) B71 2296

There's nothing that I could find that indicates the oil has approvals. Have I missed that information? Although you said that the base additive package is approved for:

For some folks, having formal approvals is important. For others, especially those knowing that the source of the oil is HPL, we trust the product and the people who make it, and approvals are not so important.

Hope everyone had a great and enjoyable weekend.

Quality oil cost money.
Cold hard fact.

Some people got used to cheap Chinese products in the USA, they can't grasp the fact that when it comes to lubrication, cheap and quality are almost always mutually exclusive.

Next time someone complains about price, I'm directing them to buy oil on Alibaba. We finna see how that's going to work out.

HPL would have to dumb the oil down, hurt it's wear protection, friction reduction, and service life, to meet many of the certifications and approvals out there. They're not going to do that. The certs and approvals are good for setting a minimum standard, but we're talking huge leaps beyond what they call for.

Take Porsche A40 as an example. They have no allowance for group VI or V base oil interchange, so almost all licensed A40 oils are group III with a 70 SSI VII and an approved add pack for the formula. The testing is done by the additive companies which is a stupidly expensive engine test and teardown. If you don't follow the additive company's approved formula to a T, you have to get your own license which means repeating that insanely expensive testing. Even if the base add pack is an approved add pack, and top treatment improves upon it, it's different and therefore gets tossed aside.

For HPL, their Euro/Supercar 5W-40 would easily crush that 203 hour engine test like a bug under their shoe. However, they won't move enough volume of it to break even on the six figure cost to have it licensed. Oh, and every time they want to update and improve upon it, say they find a better defoamer or rust inhibitor, they'd have to go through that testing all over again. All that for a customer base who already doesn't care about approvals, and that's just 1 approval. You can see why smaller blenders don't bother.

This is why I don't care one iota about certs and approvals. I care how the oil performs. If you're on BITOG, I assume you (public) care how the oil performs as well. Otherwise, many people here would grab an A40 or ACEA A3/B4 off the shelf per their manual and go about bird watching or something else. If you're looking for something more than the minimum spec, you have to get certs and approvals off your mind.

Last edited:
Back