2012 VW Beetle 2.5L Oil Weight

Well yeah. There is CAFE issue too. VW doesn’t have slew of hybrids etc. to offset engine like this. But, their strategy was always too hectic and dieselgate really messed them up. 2.5 was introduced to be competition to simple Asian products. They could update engine to make it emission compatible, but by then they changed strategy.
Think about the fact ghat in Europe they have hybrids on the roads for a long time, and here they are trying to reinvent the wheel.
Hybrids are expensive. The MK6 Jetta was briefly available as a hybrid with a 1.4L TSI engine (2014-2017) and discontinued due to poor sales.

The funny thing about the Germans is they were against hybrids, as they had their diesels to fall on to advertise fuel economy benefits, but not necesssarily emissions, as Euro emissions got more and more stringent, they had to suck up their pride and develop gas-hybrids.

Hybrids are expensive. The MK6 Jetta was briefly available as a hybrid with a 1.4L TSI engine (2014-2017) and discontinued due to poor sales.

The funny thing about the Germans is they were against hybrids, as they had their diesels to fall on to advertise fuel economy benefits, but not necesssarily emissions, as Euro emissions got more and more stringent, they had to suck up their pride and develop gas-hybrids.
Hybrids in Europe are available for a long time, including diesel hybrids.
The fact that they brought Jetta tells how insane they are. They have Tiguan hybrid, and SUV’s are name of the game here. They still don’t plan Atlas hybrid.

Funny you mention fuel economy. I’ve been a little underwhelmed. My wife is getting 25-26mpg. It is not a highway driver but is an east rural route drive and my foot is lighter than hers. Wasn’t expecting 40+ but 30 at least.
I was quite happy with the 2008 Jetta I had that had the 2.5L and a 5 speed manual transmission. I had come from a 96 Jetta with the 2.slow and a 5 speed transmission and I got basically the same fuel mileage (28 ish mostly highway miles) and really enjoyed the extra power the 2.5 had over the old 2.slow.

As far as oil, it’s a simply engine and will do just fine on any 502 or 504 oil. I’d personally do the QS 5w-40 euro just because is $23 for a 5 qt jug.

uh no, see my above post.
Don't get me wrong....I'd love to find a nice used Jetta or Golf with a 2.5 and a stick shift at a decent price (not likely in the current environment). I always liked the simplicity and power of that combo. I once read that the A/T version wasn't particularly frugal with fuel.

Don't get me wrong....I'd love to find a nice used Jetta or Golf with a 2.5 and a stick shift at a decent price (not likely in the current environment). I always liked the simplicity and power of that combo. I once read that the A/T version wasn't particularly frugal with fuel.
The automatic 2.5 was more efficient than my 2.0t FSI, DSG GTI, in the loaner MK5 Jetta or Rabbit, and MK6 Golfs I drove when my GTI was in for service. The 2.0t FSI automatic, Passat was more efficient on the highway, but way less so in town than my DSG. But the 2.0t fsi needs premium fuel above freezing temps, and any 2008+ 2.5 is fine with regular whenever.

They're both good automatics. But one trades smoothness for snap. I would not be seeking a new GTI if mine was a manual either. So ymmv!

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing a Passat with a 2.5 will get 36mph on the highway. We've owned my wife's 2008 Rabbit (2.5 w/ 5-speed) since new, she has logged every tank of gas that's ever gone through the thing, it's never gotten close to that sort of economy. The EPA says 22/31/25 for the 2013 Passat, which is much more in line with what we've seen. They're definitely not super efficient motors.

I have a hard time believing a Passat with a 2.5 will get 36mph on the highway. We've owned my wife's 2008 Rabbit (2.5 w/ 5-speed) since new, she has logged every tank of gas that's ever gone through the thing, it's never gotten close to that sort of economy. The EPA says 22/31/25 for the 2013 Passat, which is much more in line with what we've seen. They're definitely not super efficient motors.
We had 2 jetta SE's a 2008 and a 2012. The 2008 got about 28 on the highway while the 2012 got in the low 30's. Dont know what they did but the later 2.5s got much better mileage.

I've use Castrol 0w-40 in my 2012 Golf 2.5L. When my supply runs out I have QS 5w-40 Euro and Total 504 5w-30/40 waiting. Please drop the transmission pan/install a new strainer/clean the magnets and new fluid. Very easy to change plugs. Gas mileage is pretty good if you don't manually shift the automatic. Around 200 mpg @ 1/2 tank. Highway around 33 mpg. An excellent engine and car!

We had 2 jetta SE's a 2008 and a 2012. The 2008 got about 28 on the highway while the 2012 got in the low 30's. Dont know what they did but the later 2.5s got much better mileage.
If my memory serves me correctly, they changed the gearing (manual transmissions in particular) around that time.

Back