VW Atlas Oil Change

Late to the battle but I have a 21 Atlas VR6. 502 or 504 for certain?

You should have just a "VW 504" sticker under the hood. Atlas doesn't get VW502, although there is a high likelihood the dealer will put bulk 502 in it anyway (which is what the VR6 has spec'd forever). Doing it yourself get 504 and keep records. JMO.

You should have just a "VW 504" sticker under the hood. Atlas doesn't get VW502, although there is a high likelihood the dealer will put bulk 502 in it anyway (which is what the VR6 has spec'd forever). Doing it yourself get 504 and keep records. JMO.
My 2018 is 502 or 504 and of course, 504 is fully backwards-compatible so you can always use it if you want. Mine has always gotten dealer Castrol bulk 502 5W40. You can certainly use 502 in it...won't hurt anything.

I stand corrected I was under the impression Atlas was 504 only (per sticker) even though VR6 has been 502 forever.

It is. There is a bulletin covering it that I will get next time I'm at my dealer.

There is sticker/OM confusion but VW themselves is clear: 504 0W-30.
VW is not clear. VW is not clear on oils since 1997 debacle with 1.8T engine. Grade does not matter.
So what happens if one puts Mobil1 ESP 5W30?

VW is not clear. VW is not clear on oils since 1997 debacle with 1.8T engine. Grade does not matter.
So what happens if one puts Mobil1 ESP 5W30?
I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you.

The VW bulletin explicitly says 504 0W-30. I will get a copy next time I am there.

Edit: found it.

Attachments

• MC-10164258-0001 (1).pdf
    175.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

The VW bulletin explicitly says 504 0W-30. I will get a copy next time I am there.
I am not disputing what VW bulletin says.
My question is what happens when one puts 5W30 VW 504.00/507.00?
In 1997 they explicitly said that 1.8T can use any oil, then they explicitly said VW502.00, then they explicitly said VW502.00 5W40 and large filter. They are still paying settlements.

Edit: found it.
What model year(s) is the bulletin for? I seem to recall seeing this somewhere. Last I was in a few mos. for the catalytic converter service campaign they continue to use Castrol bulk 5W40 VW502 00 in my 2018. VW gets screwy when they ask for both an approval (504) and a viscosity (0W30) - approval is all that should matter and TBH, none of this matters anyway b/c the manual will always give you out of using XZY if the approved oil isn't available (at some volume).

What model year(s) is the bulletin for? I seem to recall seeing this somewhere. Last I was in a few mos. for the catalytic converter service campaign they continue to use Castrol bulk 5W40 VW502 00 in my 2018. VW gets screwy when they ask for both an approval (504) and a viscosity (0W30) - approval is all that should matter and TBH, none of this matters anyway b/c the manual will always give you out of using XZY if the approved oil isn't available.
Of course they are.
And not to mention that this bulletin on 0W30 negates their approval process in the first place where point is approval specification not grade. But then, that would not be VW if they did not screw up on oil recommendation. Though, theya re still not as bad as Hyundai.

Of course they are.
And not to mention that this bulletin on 0W30 negates their approval process in the first place where point is approval specification not grade. But then, that would not be VW if they did not screw up on oil recommendation. Though, theya re still not as bad as Hyundai.
Agreed - it causes folks so much confusion that are used to just being told their vehicles needs 5W20 etc. The 0W30 VW504.00 is tough to find in the usual retailers as well which makes this even worse so folks just use the easy to find 502 oils.

Back