VW 504 questions

Aweso
VW 504 is VW 504, no worries. They will all be 30 grades yes the dealer's is 0w30 but it makes no practical difference unless you live in the Arctic.

The Castrol jugs via Wally's is the best price going on VW 504 I know of. You can catch Mobil on sale at Napa for a decent price once in a while too. My dealer will sell the Genuine VW/Audi stuff for about 6 bucks a quart on line which isn't bad if you need it.
Awesome! Thank you.
Yes I had my eye on the 5qt jugs of Castrol Edge LL 5w30 504 at Walmart. I’ll likely go with that.

much appreciated.

Just purchased a VW Atlas with the 2.0T. My first Euro/German vehicle so I am unfamiliar with oil reqs.

The sticker says VW 504 0W-30. I was under the impression that grade doesn’t matter as long as it meets the 504 spec. Am I off base? It looks like I can find Castrol 504 5W-30 for a decent price at Walmart, but the 0W-30 seems harder to find short of the dealer.

Is the 5W-30 a warranty-ok substitute as it meets the 504 spec?

Thanks.
504.00 can only be sold as a 30w so for you it's irrelevant as to whether it's a 0w30 OR 5w30.

The dealer VW 504 0w30 is a dead ringer for Mobil 1 ESP 0w30. Almost surely the same, there is not enough demand for VW 504 to make it worthwhile to create another brew just to sell at Napa IMO. VOA's / UOA's look the same as well.

I just sent in a UOA of Genuine VW / Audi 504 the 0w30 stuff on a 10,200 mile run. Looking forward to seeing how it held up, there's a recent UOA on here where short tripping whipped it pretty badly. My use is about 95% highway you couldn't be much nicer to an oil.
I still have some 1700 miles on M1 0W30 to hit 5k. I change at 5k in Tiguan and will send it to Blackstone.

I still have some 1700 miles on M1 0W30 to hit 5k. I change at 5k in Tiguan and will send it to Blackstone.

Will be interesting to see what your results are in a turbo application versus my naturally aspirated VR6.

Thanks - I try to avoid Amsoil due to cost. I’ll probably go with the Castrol offering. Good to know I have choices though.
I don't blame you but full disclosure I AM an Amsoil user from time to time. I have a preferred membership so I order oil, filters, PI, etc... to make the membership worth it. Since 2 of my cars are new I'm just using M1 EP for those. I completely understand the cost issue. I'm at the point since I am not driving my Audi and I don't have any other performance cars I'm looking for cost effective measures. Though, I am using Amsoil SS in my wife's CR-V since it wasn't that much and we change oil once a year. Figured I would try it and have enough for 2 changes. Probably go ST or Kirkland after or maybe something else. But as you said, it is good you have choices.

No clue what VW dealers sell in NA, however "VW LongLife III FE 0W-30" European VW dealers sell is made by Shell and same as Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30, which is (or at least has been for several years) exact same stuff as Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30, same as VAPSoil 507 00 0W-30 and again same as Penzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30. Perhaps that makes for some confusion. All GTL based and VW 504 00 & 507 00. While I'd prefer M1 ESP 5W-30 for its lower Noack in a TSI engine I'd run AV-L/ECT/ PPELX with confidence.

original-vw-longlife-iii-fe-0w-30-motorenoel-original-gs55545m2eur-1l-3bc.jpg

VAPSOIL_50700-p2wj2ff3fnfe9auy4nuf876dxpad9vhwnzx2vh4ukq.png
507 is lower in sulphated ash (TBN determinant?), lower in phosphorus (anti wear), lower in sulphur (additive for an antioxidant, part of antiwear (AW) compounding, extreme pressure (EP), and enhanced lubricity properties) according to addinol.de

If all these additives are lower in order to save the DPF, how do the chemical engineers make up for all the lost protective additives that have been reduced? For those who have illegally deleted all their emissions equipment, if it even relevant to pay attention to that low additive formulation spec?

I don't blame you but full disclosure I AM an Amsoil user from time to time. I have a preferred membership so I order oil, filters, PI, etc... to make the membership worth it. Since 2 of my cars are new I'm just using M1 EP for those. I completely understand the cost issue. I'm at the point since I am not driving my Audi and I don't have any other performance cars I'm looking for cost effective measures. Though, I am using Amsoil SS in my wife's CR-V since it wasn't that much and we change oil once a year. Figured I would try it and have enough for 2 changes. Probably go ST or Kirkland after or maybe something else. But as you said, it is good you have choices.
My other car is a Toyota Tacoma so I’m used to being able to use anything and still get 200k+ without a hiccup.

507 is lower in sulphated ash (TBN determinant?), lower in phosphorus (anti wear), lower in sulphur (additive for an antioxidant, part of antiwear (AW) compounding, extreme pressure (EP), and enhanced lubricity properties) according to addinol.de

If all these additives are lower in order to save the DPF, how do the chemical engineers make up for all the lost protective additives that have been reduced? For those who have illegally deleted all their emissions equipment, if it even relevant to pay attention to that low additive formulation spec?
Things like this make me wonder how any 504/507 approved oil (+Porsche C30, +229.51) can be anything but cutting edge blends. The bulk of the praise is directed/recognized in M1 ESP, but why not the others?

just my $0.02

That's probably the main reason why these/this Shell/Penzoil oil(s) come(s) with lots of boron (400 - 500 ppm).
VW 504 00/507 00 oil commonly result in excellent UOAs. No reason to get stuck with 20th century technology.
On your second question, most likely not relevant at all as long engine isn't DI. DI engines tend to benefit more
from mid or even low SAPS forumlations, but even more so from low Noack.

I know oil discussions are a well disputed subject but I wanted to ask about the following Red Line 5w30 oil . Seems to be a 504/507 product.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Thanks RooflessVW

I was checking if anyone has any experience with this Red Line 5w30 Euro-Series oil .

Thanks !

Thanks RooflessVW

I was checking if anyone has any experience with this Red Line 5w30 Euro-Series oil .

Thanks !
But you still haven't asked a question. The Redline oil is likely a very good oil, but it carries no formal approval.

So it comes down to how important a formal approval is to you and wether or not you trust Redline with your DPF/GPF if you have one.

I know oil discussions are a well disputed subject but I wanted to ask about the following Red Line 5w30 oil . Seems to be a 504/507 product.

Thanks in advance
You just joined, how do you know this already?

As RooflessVW noted it is not a "504/507 product", it is a product that out of what Red Line sells they recommend for those applications that require the approval. Red Line is primarily a racing oil and for everyday applications there is little benefit especially when considering the greatly increased cost. Walmart.com and Amazon have a couple products that carry the actual approval for under $5 a quart.

Thanks in advance
No problems. Russian oil club did test and it has lest amount of SAPS compared to other oils as well as super low Noack.
But, it is acidic. That means it will oxidize faster than other oils. If warranty, I would skip it and use approved oils. After warranty you can safely try it, but do 5k UOA with both TBN and TAN measurements to see oxidation.

We have used the Red Line products in the past for a 03 Miata ,09 Cayman S, track and autox .

Thank you all for your help .... Looking for something for a 19 Golf R , mild tune ( APR stage 1 )
We also have a 14 Touareg TDI .

Back