VW Atlas Oil Change

Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06
Originally Posted by jfrankh
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
It's no secret that higher saps generally has higher carbon deposits. I'm not going to say you're going to have issues in 30k, but it's pretty much assured you will have more carbon buildup, soot on the exhaust, etc.

My evidence is anecdotal but I drove two cars that used 502 oils for combined eleven years. They always had soot on the exhaust tips, and the second car I kept long enough to have to pull the intake once and do a carbon cleaning. I now have had a car that uses 504 oil for two years, the exhaust tips are far cleaner. At this point with low sulfur fuel pretty much everywhere other than saving a few bucks every OCI, there is just about no reason to use 502 oil.

Thanks Jim. Please scream this from the rooftops to kschahn!!! The 2018 had different clearances and slightly different emissions. 502.00 is not recommended for the 2019s at all! I read they even changed the emissions systems for ‘19/‘20s. As for me, I rather not have to clean/remove carbon from my engine so I'm going to stay with the 0w-30 504.00. And what your saying is not anedotal, my oils is still golden brown after 7.5k on 87pump.

I don't have a local VW dealership, I live in the sticks, but I called the closest one to me today. I spoke to the service manager who said they would fill my 19' Atlas with 5W-30, I then spoke to the parts guy, who I gave my VIN # to and he said that they would only fill it with Castrol Edge 0W-30. No where under my hood or in my book which is a 19' does it say to use VW 504. The dealership told me to use VW 502. Where did you get the information that 19's shouldn't use 502?

Understandable. There's so much confusion on this b/c VW hasn't sent our a TSB to clarify. The earlier ones were able to use 502. In 2019 and later the tolerances were changes and the 0W-30 was approved for use. On all 2019-current, it is printed 504.00 only. I can take a picture of the hood sticker if you need me to. Also, the manual states 504.00 only, and if you need to put more than a half a quart of makeup oil out of grade/cert, to change the oilman soon as possible(paraphrasing there). Also, the Mobil oil selector only shows 504.00. Also, I called Mobil and spoke to their Tier 2 and they confirmed 504.00 0w-30.

If the delearship is saying they are using Castrol in 0w-30, make sure it's the Castrol professional LL-IV in 504.00 and not the regular Castrol Edge.
What year is your Atlas? What does Mobil1 oil selector say?

The fact that your service manager said one thing but when you min out the vin# the grade is correct tells you there was a mid-year change and there is something really specific about this whole deal. I will VW would publish a release or TSB. I will also say they will start stocking the Mobil 1 VW branded once they exhaust current supply. I posted the correct part number the Atlas requires and took pictures of the bottles in another thread.

Mine is a 2019 and in the book and under the hood it says 502.00. My book says that in an emergency you can use 504.00. The parts guy at the dealership said specifically Castrol Edge 0W-30 502.00 and I gave him my VIN #. I don't know why I would trust the Mobil 1 oil selector over the dealership because yes the Mobil 1 site says to use there 0W-30 that is 504.00 approved. I never imagined this post would blow up like this. Who knew it would be this much ambiguity with oil! LOL
The dealership did confirm what was mentioned earlier in this post that VW was dropping Castrol and moving to Mobil so mabye Mobil doesn't have a 0W-30 that is 502 approved and thats why they push people to the other?

Mine is a 2019 and in the book and under the hood it says 502.00. My book says that in an emergency you can use 504.00. The parts guy at the dealership said specifically Castrol Edge 0W-30 502.00 and I gave him my VIN #. I don't know why I would trust the Mobil 1 oil selector over the dealership because yes the Mobil 1 site says to use there 0W-30 that is 504.00 approved. I never imagined this post would blow up like this. Who knew it would be this much ambiguity with oil! LOL
The dealership did confirm what was mentioned earlier in this post that VW was dropping Castrol and moving to Mobil so mabye Mobil doesn't have a 0W-30 that is 502 approved and thats why they push people to the other?

OK, can you explain me logic between going for 0W30 instead let's say 5W30? Again, grade is irrelevant as long as it is VW 502.00 approved.
Now, in your case it says in emergency VW504.00/507.00 because at that time when VW was printing manuals, the US had high sulfur gas, and that specification is not very good in direct injection engines and fuel with high sulfur (numerous threads around that, I will not repeat it). Now, the US has ULSG, but still VW 502.00 is OK as that engine was developed around that specification.
Also, stop blindly believing dealerships. Hyundai literally recommends specifications that do not exists for their engines.
Go to local Wal Mart, get Castrol 0W40, call it a day, enjoy the ride.

I have no problem with a 504 00 being a better oil than a 502 00 oil in terms of oxidation resistance and so forth. But I most certainly am choking on the concept that when both have the same minimum HTHS and overlapping grade designations, one grade is "OK" for the engine bearing clearances and another grade is not "OK". I maintain that given this reality the grade is irrelevant unless you are quibbling over the winter rating.

Oh and both have a stay-in-grade requirement.

This is my window sticker. If the VR6 is the same, across years and the 2018/19/20 are all the same, then 502.00 should be still recommended since the 0w-30 is not energy conserving??
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by edyvw

OK, can you explain me logic between going for 0W30 instead let's say 5W30? Again, grade is irrelevant as long as it is VW 502.00 approved.
Now, in your case it says in emergency VW504.00/507.00 because at that time when VW was printing manuals, the US had high sulfur gas, and that specification is not very good in direct injection engines and fuel with high sulfur (numerous threads around that, I will not repeat it). Now, the US has ULSG, but still VW 502.00 is OK as that engine was developed around that specification.
Also, stop blindly believing dealerships. Hyundai literally recommends specifications that do not exists for their engines.

I have no logic for either oil over another. Thats why I'm here. And I'm not blindly believing dealships, I was just expressing what they said. I'm not trying to argue about whats better or worse. I am just gathering information and enjoying learning about a topic that I did not know much about, while trying to find what the best oil is to put in my vehicle. Tough crowd.

I have no logic for either oil over another. Thats why I'm here. And I'm not blindly believing dealships, I was just expressing what they said. I'm not trying to argue about whats better or worse. I am just gathering information and enjoying learning about a topic that I did not know much about, while trying to find what the best oil is to put in my vehicle. Tough crowd.

That's fair. This crowd is tough on Newbies.and in 6 pages Of thread, no consensus. I'll just say this, look at the Lubrizol graph and the other chart I posted with comparison across the various certifications. To me, I'd rather have the best for my engine, and clearly, there are differences. So use your judgement when you look at these two tools and make your own decision. I think VW is on to something with this newer certification, so that's what I'm using.

Good luck on your search and enjoy the ride. Love mine, hate the MPGs, but I knew what I was getting into.

I think the question that should as asked is, what does 502 offer that 504 doesn't?

The answer is absolutely nothing other than it's easier to find, and slightly cheaper.

I think VW502.00 is irrelevant here. What is relevant is slew of other approvals that come with that one. VW502.00 is not really stringent approval. Also, just because it is VW504.00/507.00 does not mean is it remarkable oil. Any specification is MINIMUM of set up requirements, not maximum.
The question is why using fairly more expensive oil in an engine that is developed around VW502.00 specification? I personally used Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 in my X5, bcs. it needed BMW LL04, and that oil was best you could get in that category. However, in Atlas? Anything MB 229.5 from Wal mart will do.

Sure, the other approvals are also relevant/important but all the common 502 oils (M1, Castrol, and Liquimoly) also hvae all of the other approvals (229.5) as well so when I say "502" that's what I'm referring to.

This is my window sticker. If the VR6 is the same, across years and the 2018/19/20 are all the same, then 502.00 should be still recommended since the 0w-30 is not energy conserving??
[Linked Image]

May be confused here - the 502 oils are typically 40W (a few 30s) and the 504s are typically 30W so they are a little lighter and should be a little more fuel efficient and that's what I think they made this change, not b/c there is a difference in the VR between the 3 model years that warrants a different spec. If you want a real [censored], check out the Golf R oil requirements/posts.

I think the question that should as asked is, what does 502 offer that 504 doesn't?

The answer is absolutely nothing other than it's easier to find, and slightly cheaper.

Here you go @Jimmy. Good question. Hopefully this adds something to the discussion.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/vw_motor_oil_specifications_explained.php

VW oil specifications are discussed here numerous times. 3.6 FSI can use anything VW approved except 500.00, 506.01 and maybe even with that it would be fine.

Why not 506.01? Because of the HTHS? Anything but 500 and 506.01, also includes 508/509 which is also a lower HTHS requirement.

@TiGeo. Interesting point. And your right, the 504.00 are typically 30wt although they could pass as a lightweight 40wt.

Regarding the Golf R..yeah, I thought that interesting too...high output performance model. .but doesn't the Budack B-cycle 2.0T required Lower viscosity 0w-20 due to design?

Last edited:
@TiGeo. Interesting point. And your right, the 504.00 are typically 30wt although they could pass as a lightweight 40wt.

Regarding the Golf R..yeah, I thought that interesting too...high output performance model. .but doesn't the Budack B-cycle 2.0T required Lower viscosity 0w-20 due to design?

My R has the same sticker as yours, I think? 504, 0W30. That's the spec of the new VW 504 oil, and there are a few options out there that meet that spec. I also wouldn't sweat putting a 5W30 504/507 oil in there, either.

They're recommending 504 instead of 502 in most of the vehicles now because the fuel changed. That's it. The only engine that was actually redesigned for new oil are the engines that use the 508 spec.

They're recommending 504 instead of 502 in most of the vehicles now because the fuel changed. That's it. The only engine that was actually redesigned for new oil are the engines that use the 508 spec.

Makes sense, low-sulfur fuels available here now.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
[Linked Image]

May be confused here - the 502 oils are typically 40W (a few 30s) and the 504s are typically 30W so they are a little lighter and should be a little more fuel efficient and that's what I think they made this change, not b/c there is a difference in the VR between the 3 model years that warrants a different spec. If you want a real [censored], check out the Golf R oil requirements/posts.

VW 504.00/507.00 are ONLY W30 oils!

VW504.00/507.00 are ONLY W30 oils. They cannot pass as lightweight W40 oils as such thing does not exists. At 12.5cst oil is W40, and VW in their specification does not recognize language "lightweight".
VW set requirements to get approval. They are very straightforward and ONLY oils with minimum HTHS of 3.5cp and cst up to 12.5 can get that approval.

[Linked Image]

VW502.00 can be anything as long as they meet HTHS 3.5 requirements. Are there more W30 or W40 oils VW502.00? Who knows, there are bunch of each.
The reason why VW went with VW504.00/507.00 in their engines is:
1. Lower catalytic converter pollution.
2. Higher wear standard than VW502.00 (take into consideration that VW makes decision based on their approvals not the fact that average oil in store has also Porsche A40, MB229.5 etc. approvals).
3. Lower CBU (this is mostly related to turbo engines).
4. Why not having in dealership just several options and simplify supply?

Sure, I think argument about which oil is better is like arguing politics.
However, what I am several other are trying to convey is that you should fallow approval VW502.00, or VW504.00/507.00 if you want. Take into consideration that VW considers VW504.00 backward compatible. However, you really do not need in that engine anything but oil that meets VW502.00 that also has MB229.5 approval. Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40 FS are both readily available, excellent oils.
There are a lot of misinformation here. That engine never had any meaningful change except that for Atlas compression ratio was lowered and some other stuff not related to oil in order to be able to run regular gas. It is same engine as the one that was introduced to the US market in first generation Audi Q7 in 2007. Only difference is updated timing chain tensioner as of mid 2008.

Sure, I think argument about which oil is better is like arguing politics.
However, what I am several other are trying to convey is that you should fallow approval VW502.00, or VW504.00/507.00 if you want. Take into consideration that VW considers VW504.00 backward compatible. However, you really do not need in that engine anything but oil that meets VW502.00 that also has MB229.5 approval. Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40 FS are both readily available, excellent oils.
There are a lot of misinformation here. That engine never had any meaningful change except that for Atlas compression ratio was lowered and some other stuff not related to oil in order to be able to run regular gas. It is same engine as the one that was introduced to the US market in first generation Audi Q7 in 2007. Only difference is updated timing chain tensioner as of mid 2008.

Actually, I believe they made changes to the Fuel injection system, emissions control unit and the timing in addition to the changes in compression. These were all updated on this engine in 2018/2019

[Linked Image]

VW 504.00/507.00 are ONLY W30 oils!

Did my wording Typically throw you off? I try not to minimize the use concrete wording as there is always room for error in life. ALWAYS! There fixed! Lol

Back