Bought a 2024 Trax, oil change input appreciated.

Based on the sheer number of blown up 1.2T Chevy engines that I’m seeing on YouTube videos, I’d personally change the oil way more frequently than the manual recommends. Seems to be a 60K engine.
I'm always conservative when it comes to maintenance on my vehicles, hopefully this engine doesn't "blow up". I do like the fact that this model has a conventional 6 speed automatic vs. a CVT. I've only had the vehicle for a short amount of time, but in comparison to previous GM vehicles I've owned I'm impressed so far. This vehicle was made in Korea with like 2% of American or Canadian parts (per window sticker). I tend to keep my vehicles longer than most so I'll provide updates. I think GM is going to sell a lot of these in my opinion.

Get whatever oil is specified. Also one key thing for GM warranty is document the oil life percentage at the oil change it’s for warranty purposes. We always have to document that at my dealership. Nice looking car not a Chevy guy but that red looks sweet. Also wanted to say love your baseball pennants in the background especially the Randy Johnson one. Huge baseball fan here lol.
Thanks for the recommendation on writing the oil life % on the receipts, never thought of that. I've been a long, long suffering fan of Mariners baseball hence the old Mariner pennants in the background picture, still miss the nba Supersonics too.

I'm always conservative when it comes to maintenance on my vehicles, hopefully this engine doesn't "blow up". I do like the fact that this model has a conventional 6 speed automatic vs. a CVT. I've only had the vehicle for a short amount of time, but in comparison to previous GM vehicles I've owned I'm impressed so far. This vehicle was made in Korea with like 2% of American or Canadian parts (per window sticker). I tend to keep my vehicles longer than most so I'll provide updates. I think GM is going to sell a lot of these in my opinion.

Around here all the new Traxs have a "market adjustment" on top of the MSRP ranging from $1-3K. So they must be selling well. One of the few reasonably priced vehicles out there these days IMO and it looks sharp. Hope they can produce more of them so they sell for MSRP.

Around here all the new Traxs have a "market adjustment" on top of the MSRP ranging from $1-3K. So they must be selling well. One of the few reasonably priced vehicles out there these days IMO and it looks sharp. Hope they can produce more of them so they sell for MSRP.
Hopefully at some point the "market adjustment" just dies. I didn't have to pay one but they hit me hard with all the extras, service contract, etc. I refused everything, but it still felt like a battle.

I like the look of the Trax and the Buick sibling, but boy do I dislike the history of Daewoo engineered turbocharged engines.

Ford had major issues with their 1.0 Liter. The Mitsu 1.0 Liter that also found its way to other brands wasn't exactly a dandy even without a turbo. These engines are historically very sensitive to the need for diligent maintenance.

If I were ever to keep something like this, my gas pedal would be light and my OCIs would be short. For someone like my daughter who wants to drive as little as possible and has someone willing to do the dirty work, it can be a good fit.

I bought a new 2024 Trax a couple weeks ago, really the first new car we've ever purchased. I've always changed my own oil, but I've never had a factory warranty. The first oil change is covered. I've read some posts here about changing the factory fill out early. I drive about 4,000-5,000 miles every six months so I was thinking servicing twice a year. On my used cars I've always kept a log book, even receipts however buying oil and filters at Walmart the receipt often times just says "oil" or "filter" not sure that would be good for a warranty claim.
1st I’d like to say beautiful car and color choice. 👍 4-5k oci’s intervals or twice a yr sounds reasonable. I been talking with the head fleet mechanic at my job and was picking his head about the 1,000 mile.. early 1st oil change and he said it’s really not necessary. Main thing is if the vehicle came with 3-10 miles and didn’t sit in dealer inventory for any length of time as in from carrier to customer delivery, I don’t see the need for an early oil change.

I looked under the car, the oil filter and drain plug are right next to each other. To my surprise there's no covers to remove, everything is out in the open. I usually drive around 4,000 miles every six months, I'll change twice a year probably April and October. I'll use whatever full Synthetic is on sale at the time. Surprisingly, the car has a lot of space inside. I think GM will sell a lot of them.
My GM’s have the drain plug and filter outside the covers too …

The real problem, that oil type, changing frequently won’t solve…..the 1.2l engine has wet timing belt, bathed in oil. Google it. Sort of a design flaw.

The real problem, that oil type, changing frequently won’t solve…..the 1.2l engine has wet timing belt, bathed in oil. Google it. Sort of a design flaw.
Oil dilution with fuel kills those wet belts. So changing oil often will prolong its life

My kid stole my corolla when he got his license. My wife drives a Ford so I guess we are non brand specific now. I looked at a lot of over priced used cars and settled on the Trax, has a lot of features at a decent price. I'll be the bobistheoilguy.com test case on this model.
This is exactly why I think Chevy will sell a boatload of these. They look pretty nice too.

Back