Bought a 2024 Trax, oil change input appreciated.

I bought a new 2024 Trax a couple weeks ago, really the first new car we've ever purchased. I've always changed my own oil, but I've never had a factory warranty. The first oil change is covered. I've read some posts here about changing the factory fill out early. I drive about 4,000-5,000 miles every six months so I was thinking servicing twice a year. On my used cars I've always kept a log book, even receipts however buying oil and filters at Walmart the receipt often times just says "oil" or "filter" not sure that would be good for a warranty claim.

Attachments

• IMG_20231019_150759_01.jpg
    IMG_20231019_150759_01.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 197
I bought a new 2024 Trax a couple weeks ago, really the first new car we've ever purchased. I've always changed my own oil, but I've never had a factory warranty. The first oil change is covered. I've read some posts here about changing the factory fill out early. I drive about 4,000-5,000 miles every six months so I was thinking servicing twice a year. On my used cars I've always kept a log book, even receipts however buying oil and filters at Walmart the receipt often times just says "oil" or "filter" not sure that would be good for a warranty claim.
The real question is... Is it good enough to turn a Corollaman into a Traxman?

The real question is... Is it good enough to turn a Corollaman into a Traxman?
My kid stole my corolla when he got his license. My wife drives a Ford so I guess we are non brand specific now. I looked at a lot of over priced used cars and settled on the Trax, has a lot of features at a decent price. I'll be the bobistheoilguy.com test case on this model.

First off, congrats on the purchase.

I would simply look at doing the oil changes twice a year at six month intervals. Advance Auto Parts right now has Castrol Extended Perforamce oil which is Dexos2 at an unusually cheap clearance price (less than $20 for a 5-gallon jug). You can stock up on those and be in great shape.

I would use a premium filter that can perform an extended OCI and change that out once a year. I have never been a fan of GM's small engine turbos, but using the best oil and filter around will definitely help yours perform to its fullest potential.

Keep us posted.

People think the dealer is gonna ask for receipts when 99% of the time they'll just check to see that the oil was at level first then pull the VC and send pics to corporate for them to determine if it looked maintained. But for the transmission that is a lot harder so for the trans you'd actually want to keep receipts. Use 0/5w-40 with an SP rating and change at olm or earlier.

People think the dealer is gonna ask for receipts when 99% of the time they'll just check to see that the oil was at level first then pull the VC and send pics to corporate for them to determine if it looked maintained. But for the transmission that is a lot harder so for the trans you'd actually want to keep receipts. Use 0/5w-40 with an SP rating and change at olm or earlier.
While I plan on servicing the transmission the owner's manual says no service necessary which is pretty common now.

i have a 2020 trax with no problems,what viscosity does the fill cap say?,when i got it at 4600 miles it had mobil 5w-30 semi syn. in it,,changed to havoline 5w-30 at changes at 50% on olm or about 4k,,have used also Royal Purple pcmo,, sounds a bit quieter with RP,,as this will be my oil of choice, using Fram ultra filter,,changed the auto at 25k,with Castrol Transmax with flush

i have a 2020 trax with no problems,what viscosity does the fill cap say?,when i got it at 4600 miles it had mobil 5w-30 semi syn. in it,,changed to havoline 5w-30 at changes at 50% on olm or about 4k,,have used also Royal Purple pcmo,, sounds a bit quieter with RP,,as this will be my oil of choice, using Fram ultra filter,,changed the auto at 25k,with Castrol Transmax with flush
5w30 Dexos.

While I plan on servicing the transmission the owner's manual says no service necessary which is pretty common now.
True, I forget that the smaller suv's and sedans typically don't specify them, but the larger suv's, trucks, and sports cars do. Though extended factory warranties usually require them on vehicles that don't specify it in the standard warranty maintenance routine. My 21 escalade's manual states to do the trans at 45k miles. I'll do it earlier anyway. Strangely the replace brake fluid and replace air conditioning desiccant boxes are unchecked and might as well not have been included.

You want to run a Dexos1 Gen 3 oil in that engine, thats what the specs say. Unless they changed them for the 24MY it takes a PF64 filter. Its really a pretty simple oil change, the drain plug and filter are readily accessible. The Supertech MP12060 or the Champ PH10064XL filter would be a good choice if you wanted a little more than the PF64, all are readily available for less than $5 typically.
PG 216

Are these sub-compact models of Japan or Korea design? What specific engine does it carry?

Nice (limited pic) exterior looks. The commercials on TV make this model appear larger...ie... Trailblazer size.
Reviews say the Trax has a better history on dependability, than the Trailblazer, which has really drawn the ire from early owners.

Nice car! On my wife’s 18 Buick Encore with the 1.4T I use a synthetic Dexos 5w30 usually with AC Delco filters and change it at 5,000 miles or 6 months. Usually the OLM is at 30-40%, but the small turbo engines are tough on oil. I do a spill and fill with the ATF every 40k or so miles.

On brand new cars I like to do an oil change at 3,000 miles or less.

Not sure how the 1.2T is, but on the 1.4T I don’t even have to Jack up the car to change the oil. I can slip under the car to drain and the filter is in the engine bay. Takes 20 minutes 👍🏻

Last edited:
Agree ATex
One can mark date, mileage, oil brand on the back of the receipt.
Worried about receipt fading over time?..... I use a tupperware-type plastic sealing container and my current aged receipts (2004 Chevy Colorado) looks great for over a decade.

Home with temps level-controlled and lowered humidity has it's merits.

I would never judge a little 1.4 turbo engine on OLMs. I'd change that oil at 3.5k. My neighbor has the Chevy sister to yours and he says his oil is black ugly / little gas smelly / little color streaky, at 3.5k.

Examine visually - even do a UOA after 10k - then decide on OCI lengths. Even claiming highway driving these days is deceiving. Around here, highway driving at morning / evening rush hours is sometimes worse than city driving.

Last edited:
Nice car! On my wife’s 18 Buick Encore with the 1.4T I use a synthetic Dexos 5w30 usually with AC Delco filters and change it at 5,000 miles or 6 months. Usually the OLM is at 30-40%, but the small turbo engines are tough on oil. I do a spill and fill with the ATF every 40k or so miles.

On brand new cars I like to do an oil change at 3,000 miles or less.

Not sure how the 1.2T is, but on the 1.4T I don’t even have to Jack up the car to change the oil. I can slip under the car to drain and the filter is in the engine bay. Takes 20 minutes 👍🏻
I looked under the car, the oil filter and drain plug are right next to each other. To my surprise there's no covers to remove, everything is out in the open. I usually drive around 4,000 miles every six months, I'll change twice a year probably April and October. I'll use whatever full Synthetic is on sale at the time. Surprisingly, the car has a lot of space inside. I think GM will sell a lot of them.

Get whatever oil is specified. Also one key thing for GM warranty is document the oil life percentage at the oil change it’s for warranty purposes. We always have to document that at my dealership. Nice looking car not a Chevy guy but that red looks sweet. Also wanted to say love your baseball pennants in the background especially the Randy Johnson one. Huge baseball fan here lol.

I looked under the car, the oil filter and drain plug are right next to each other. To my surprise there's no covers to remove, everything is out in the open. I usually drive around 4,000 miles every six months, I'll change twice a year probably April and October. I'll use whatever full Synthetic is on sale at the time. Surprisingly, the car has a lot of space inside. I think GM will sell a lot of them.
Our Kia Soul is the same way underneath. Both bolt and filter are in close proximity and no shield to unscrew a dozen screws or plugs from..... thank goodness.

I took the shield off our Hyundai. seeing both the bolt and filter do not sit low and have a member or two nearby to shift road matter. At my old age, I can't stick around too long underneath, without getting uncomfortable in relatively short time. Then getting up with all my now-aging body part replacements has turned into an ordeal of magnitude....lol

I won;t be crawling underneath in a few more years. I see the end of DIY OCIs in sight.

Based on the sheer number of blown up 1.2T Chevy engines that I’m seeing on YouTube videos, I’d personally change the oil way more frequently than the manual recommends. Seems to be a 60K engine.

Back