BMW X3 M40i

On my VWs I use a 5000 mile oil change regimen as both have a turbo equipped direct injected gasoline engine. I use the recommended VW approved oils for each car. I am comfortable with the 5000 mile change but I would not be with the recommended 10,000 mile interval on these engines. Just allows me to "sleep better at night".

If using approved oil it should be ok but at the limits. Id cut it down to 6-7500 to be safe, especially on a performance vehicle. At least theyre acknowledging it was too long and cutting it down, my mothers 11 x3 resets to 18500 mile interval since she drives like a granny! Ive done every 5 with cheap Cam 2 semi syn oil and no issues, even has the original vanos solenoids at 130k.

With how I drive and the HP and stress in that awesome engine, I myself would dump at 4,000 in summer and 5,000 in winter. I would want to keep that motor clean. It’s not like you need to pinch pennies to save money. It’s another $125 tops . Keep her clean and happy.

With how I drive and the HP and stress in that awesome engine, I myself would dump at 4,000 in summer and 5,000 in winter. I would want to keep that motor clean. It’s not like you need to pinch pennies to save money. It’s another $125 tops . Keep her clean and happy.
If you doing it that way, turn it around.

No Try 5000 mile OCI. You can use a LL04 oil as gas in the US in now ultra-low sulfur. Make sure the oil has the API rating of "SN."

Quattro Pete asked the right question, about how you drive.

If the vehicle sees a lot of freeway driving, 10k is a safe interval. If it is mostly in the city and shorter trips, you may want to consider going to about 7.5k instead. Less than that is a waste.

I cut all my BMW's that I own ( m3 and x540e) OCI down to 5k miles. If it's a lease its 10k. Now I get all the oil from FCP euro.

I'm comfortable with running a 10K OCI with the N20 in the X1 and the N55 in the 2er using BMW TPT 0W-30. I plan to keep the N20 for at least another 4-5 years; the 2 is probably going to be flipped in a few months for something a tick faster.

My 2009 650 with 4.8 NA calls for 15k between changes. No way!!!

I’m sticking with 5000.

This is my son's N52 at 108,500 miles. The minimum OCI was 15,000 miles- using either BMW TPT 5W-30 or 0W-30:

N52 Valvetrain.jpg

This is my son's N52 at 108,500 miles. The minimum OCI was 15,000 miles- using either BMW TPT 5W-30 or 0W-30:

View attachment 27464
That N52 will run forever, with gasket changes being the only issue. I ran about 7-8k OCI on my 2008 328i through 220k and it was clean as a whistle. I did the valve cover gasket twice, replacing the cover and gasket the second time. My brother now owns the car and it runs as good as the day I bought it. The last naturally aspirated BMW straight 6!!

If I was the OP, I’d go 5-7k with that engine due to the increased under hood temperatures.

That N52 will run forever, with gasket changes being the only issue. I ran about 7-8k OCI on my 2008 328i through 220k and it was clean as a whistle. I did the valve cover gasket twice, replacing the cover and gasket the second time. My brother now owns the car and it runs as good as the day I bought it. The last naturally aspirated BMW straight 6!!

If I was the OP, I’d go 5-7k with that engine due to the increased under hood temperatures.
Have you tried to add OFH with cooler? OFH that goes on N54 and N55.

Would you be comfortable with the recommended 10k mile OCI?

As soon as cars are out of warranty, we recommend 12,000 km (~7500 mile) OCI. Both my personal cars get 5000 km intervals. Also remember, steady highway cruising is when these engines run the hottest, there are several cooling profiles, the harder you drive, the cooler they run.

7500 for mixed use and 10k seems fine for mostly highway use. Unless it's an n54 car and an injector failure dumped a bunch of fuel; then change when you change the injector(s) ;)

That's roughly the formula I've followed, and my engine is running the smoothest it ever has at 223k.

Back