BMW LL04 and LL12FE in Australia with high sulphur content in fuel?

I just picked up a 2018 X4 M40i with the B58 engine. Awesome car, but I have some questions regarding BMW's recommended oil specifications.

The owners manual specifies that LL-04 and LL-12FE are the approved specifications for the car. This seems strange for an Australian market vehicle however, as I have read that these oils don't play nice with petrol that has any more than 10ppm sulphur content. Premium grade fuel here in Australia is allowed to have up to 50ppm sulphur levels, so it would seem that using the recommended oil specs here is unadvisable...?

My question is, should I be running LL01 instead, even when it isn't officially approved for use according to the owners manual?

I would appreciate some advice from more experienced individuals here, as I want to ensure the engine gets the best oil possible.

I just picked up a 2018 X4 M40i with the B58 engine. Awesome car, but I have some questions regarding BMW's recommended oil specifications.

The owners manual specifies that LL-04 and LL-12FE are the approved specifications for the car. This seems strange for an Australian market vehicle however, as I have read that these oils don't play nice with petrol that has any more than 10ppm sulphur content. Premium grade fuel here in Australia is allowed to have up to 50ppm sulphur levels, so it would seem that using the recommended oil specs here is unadvisable...?

My question is, should I be running LL01 instead, even when it isn't officially approved for use according to the owners manual?

I would appreciate some advice from more experienced individuals here, as I want to ensure the engine gets the best oil possible.
Generally, European manufacturers are good in observing quality of local gas. I would most definitely do UOA and see where is TBN. If you suspect that gas has too much sulfur, go LL01.

Generally, European manufacturers are good in observing quality of local gas. I would most definitely do UOA and see where is TBN. If you suspect that gas has too much sulfur, go LL01.
Thanks.

Do you think any negatives could come from using LL01 when it's not listed as an approved spec in the owners manual?
I hear it can be bad for petrol particulate filters and 3-way cat systems but I am unsure if the Australian market version of the car came with those (I assume not).

I also find it mildly concerning that BMW are recommending oils in the owners manual which they have stated in service bulletins are not to be used in petrol engines outside of Europe. I guess that was an oversight by the team who translated the manual from German to English.

Thanks.

Do you think any negatives could come from using LL01 when it's not listed as an approved spec in the owners manual?
I hear it can be bad for petrol particulate filters and 3-way cat systems but I am unsure if the Australian market version of the car came with those (I assume not).

I also find it mildly concerning that BMW are recommending oils in the owners manual which they have stated in service bulletins are not to be used in petrol engines outside of Europe. I guess that was an oversight by the team who translated the manual from German to English.
The reason why they don’t recommend those oils outside Europe could be gas quality, countries emissions standards etc.
If your car has GPF, absolutely use Low SAPS oil like LL04. Before you use LL01, check that.
There really isn’t any drawbacks unless car is equipped with GPF. BMW engines generally have very good PCV, and intake valve deposits are not concern since N54 engine.

Do you just go by oil life monitor or what does the oem say about mileage limit? I'd imagine if you stay within those parameters the oil should last. Go beyond that then testing would be advisable. Maybe test anyways at first.

My understanding is that AUS moves to ULSG in 12/2024.

I'm any case LL01 would be "okay".

Based on my experiences with high sulfur, if you are confined to using Low SAPS oils, your absolute best bet will be to reduce your drain intervals to 5,000 km.

how about this oil? its very robust for 504 low saps

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2024-06-10, 4.35.25 μμ.jpg

What makes you suspect BMW Australia have recommended the wrong oil?

Personally I would stick with LL04

Does your vehicle have a GPF?

Nearly all larger engines BMWs in Europe had a GPF.

And historically emissions requirements in Australia seem to be very similar to those in Europe.

What makes you suspect BMW Australia have recommended the wrong oil?

Personally I would stick with LL04

Does your vehicle have a GPF?

Nearly all larger engines BMWs in Europe had a GPF.

And historically emissions requirements in Australia seem to be very similar to those in Europe.

LL04 is a low-SAPS oil and is typically only used in regions where the sulfur content in gasoline is <10ppm (EN 228 standards).

Not sure if I would deviate from the owner's manual though. Perhaps BMW knows something we don't.

My assumption is there's a GPF which requires LL-04 or LL-12FE, even if sulfur content is >10ppm. Maybe they reduce the service intervals to account for this?

1718130567961.jpg

1718130585605.jpg

1718130641081.jpg

Click link for full table: https://postimg.cc/R3xFZ181

Last edited:
LL04 is a low-SAPS oil and is typically only used in regions where the sulfur content in gasoline is <10ppm (EN 228 standards).

Not sure if I would deviate from the owner's manual though. Perhaps BMW knows something we don't.
I am assuming Australia has a GPF fitted.

As I said previously, their emissions requirements are usually very similar to the UK/EU

50ppm sulphur in their down under 95 RON fuel is Euro IV standard, no?

Does that not coincide with the VW 504 era?
No. VW504.00/507.00 was first introduced in diesels in 2004. However, ULSD was already available in 2003 and by 2009 all vehicles supposed to run on ULSD. But, it was available long before that.
Gasoline was on slower track and manufacturers started to use Low-SAPS oils in 2009.

Back