High quality 5W40 for BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
The LM "Synthoil High tech" is PAO, for sure.
https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/synthoil-high-tech-5w-40-p000339.html#1855
Most others from LM are HC, Gropup III.

It´s a good habbit to buy Products made in your Country, i try the same here, if possible. (y)

At the moment, i favour ROWE from all german Oils. Als UOAs of ROWE oils where very good.
LM is decent quality, best selling oil here in German since years.
Ravenol had more then once problems. Latley a UOA in the German Oil Forum showed that their top-racing product oil was missing the heavily advertised tungsten completly.... go figure.
Thanks for the love!

My rule of Thumb:
- No diesel oil in a gasoline engine
- No 0w- in a high reving engine with high piston speed. At least 5w- is what i want.
- In a demanding engine, use the best oil you can get, PAO, Ester, a solid additive pack.

The M3 engine IS demanding, it´s high reving and known for problems with the engine bearings, if i am correct.

Side Note:
My car is notrious for problems with the cam chain tensioner. Mainly caused by length cam chains.
There was a little investigation, a poll in the german Forum.
The only guys wich didnt have problems had one thing in Common: They all used the Motul 300V Car Racing oil, the stuff with the extra load of Anti wear additives. But without any Approvals. The other members faced problems, at half the mileage, using "Approved" oils.
Makes you think, me at least.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is a outstanding of the shelf oil, no doubt. But i think Red Line has a edge. A small one, but it is there, i think.
You definitely don't have a clue what you're talking about. Diesel oil can be perfectly fine in gas motors as long as it's the right motor and right chemistry in the hdeo diesel oil.
Second 0w oils doesn't mean anything about it being bad for high revving. Infact you can take a 10 or 15w40 off the shelf and let's say hpl or redline 0w40. Both ran the same and the 0w40s as mentioned will barely shear or if not shear down at all also providing significantly better wear protection with a longer oci. Then the off the shelf 15w40 will shear down to 20 grade oil in less miles and have more wear in the motor. I've also ran hpl and schaeffer's diesel oil in my denali for about 120k miles. Motor has 400k on her. Only reason I'm switching her to hpl euro is because David suggested their euro formulation is better suited next to hdeo after then pcmo. Schaeffer's hdeo for schaeffer's oil with their products their hdeo was the best choice out of their euro and pcmos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230624_170239_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230624_170239_Gallery.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 13
My rule of Thumb:
- No diesel oil in a gasoline engine
- No 0w- in a high reving engine with high piston speed. At least 5w- is what i want.

- In a demanding engine, use the best oil you can get, PAO, Ester, a solid additive pack.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is a outstanding of the shelf oil, no doubt. But i think Red Line has a edge. A small one, but it is there, i think.
Hi, Christian ... you've made some strong statements and have seemingly given the subject some thought. I'm curious as to how you've arrived at your conclusions.

Why do you object to Diesel oil in a gasoline engine? And why do you object to a 0W-xx oil in the described engine? What do you consider a high piston speed? In what ways do you feel Red Line has an edge over M1 0W-40? Which Red Line oil(s) are superior to the M1?

It's always good to know why people think the way they do, and how they've arrived at their decisions and conclusions.

Any oil that meets BMW specifications and is changed at an interval appropriate for the engine’s use profile.
That is what I have done with my 2001 BMW E39 540 M-Sport since new. Just used an LL-01 spec oil (didn't worry about the viscosity, 0w-30, 5w-30, 5w-40, 0w-40...whatever) and changed it every 7,500 miles religously. I just passed 351,000 miles last week. Never been rebuilt (just timing chain guides at 263,600 miles) and still going strong. Doesn't even consume oil.

That is what I have done with my 2001 BMW E39 540 M-Sport since new. Just used an LL-01 spec oil (didn't worry about the viscosity, 0w-30, 5w-30, 5w-40, 0w-40...whatever) and changed it every 7,500 miles religously. I just passed 351,000 miles last week. Never been rebuilt (just timing chain guides at 263,600 miles) and still going strong. Doesn't even consume oil.
Stick?

E39 540i is one of my favorite BMWs. A friend owned one in 99 and it was just such a great all-rounder.

How do these big front grills contribute to pedestrian safety?
Cars need to be blunt-nosed basically and there are height requirements as BMWTurboDzl mentioned. It doesn’t force them to make big grilles exactly but it reduces design options. Every brand more or less has huge grilles now, some just blend in better.

Cars need to be blunt-nosed basically and there are height requirements as BMWTurboDzl mentioned. It doesn’t force them to make big grilles exactly but it reduces design options. Every brand more or less has huge grilles now, some just blend in better.
sorry chris, has nothing to do with that ,huge grills.there are requirements but huge grills not a factor . its a design thing and its just that.

years ago i read somewhere an interview about the new design grills from the head designer of bmw and he was so proud for the new huge mouth, sorry, grills of the new bmws and he added that bmw fans will get used to it.huge grills is a revive of old vintage bmw designs he said.

what i want to say ,is that , bmw always made the best sporty ,elegant and luxurious designs at the same time. this era is gone with huge grills. i mean, i was at the dealership the other day and i was trying to put some love at the new transformer, sorry i meant X1.where is the previous X1 classy model? bmw had design with class. the new 3 series and X2 are the only good looking with normal grills.

You are making me miss my '01 M5 again, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back