BMW B58 Engine Oil Recommendation

I posted this previously (will not mention car, warranty concerns ect). I'm just inquiring an unbiased oil suggestion for a B58 that is tuned (450 hp 550tq). FL climate. Didn't get a clear decision on what oil to run but wanted to give it another go.

Thanks
5w-40....
For Florida.

Don't really need a 0 with more VII's

B58 is specced for 5w40 from new.

In Europe anyway.

Don’t really care what BMW USA recommend, they didn’t engineer the B58 engine.

You can put 0w20 in it, and I will be doing so after running 5w40

If over 4000 miles the car shows no improvement in fuel economy in real world usage I would suggest it’s a pointless to run it.

Thicker oil will always protect an engine better if it’s designed to run that oil.

The whole point is to see if there is any discernible change in fuel consumption between the 0w30 LL04 that BMW use in the UK, the 0w20 LL17FE+ that is also specced for the engine in the UK (and in the USA from what I have seen) and the thickest oil specced by BMW for this engine in the UK which is LL04 5w40.

I would be over the moon if I could get 2mpg more by simply using the LL17FE+ oil.

But I don’t think there will be a difference

Therefore it makes sense to run 5w40

After all I want 200k miles out of this engine
I beg to differ with you. The B58 was designed with an xW30 oil in mind. European cars get either a 0W30 or a 5W30 oil.

Thicker oil will always protect an engine better if it’s designed to run that oil.
No it will not. This is a very old misconception/urban legend.
Viscosity modifiers do not protect engines directly, they just define flow characteristics. Other capabilities of oil are far more important.

I beg to differ with you. The B58 was designed with an xW30 oil in mind. European cars get either a 0W30 or a 5W30 oil.

You are not disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with my 2021 model year BMW Owners Handbook.

I will side with BMW on this, just because BMW USA have been convinced to have different oil specs for the USA doesn’t change what the engine was designed to use.

No it will not. This is a very old misconception/urban legend.
Viscosity modifiers do not protect engines directly, they just define flow characteristics. Other capabilities of oil are far more important.
I respectfully disagree.

Otherwise when a vehicle is tuned, like people do with the Subaru WRX and B58 engines vehicles they would advise going for a thinner oil.

And BMW would advise a thinner oil for their M cars, not thicker.

Seems obviously true if the Anti-wear additives are equal. But surely this may not be true if the higher HT/HS oil has inferior anti-wear additives...or what would be the purpose of anti-wear additives?
Higher HTHS gives more “cushion” for the lack if better word. More margin. Manufacturers when choosing low HTHS oils, and with that improving efficiency, calculate majority of drivers and whether low HTHS will cause premature wear for that majority. But, if majority is the one expected to use vehicle hard, then you get approvals like Porsche C40 or VW511.00. That tells you that there is no substitute for HTHS. Otherwise, VW would recommend for RS6 also VW508.00 and not VW511.00. They would also gain performance too, not just save few drops of gas.
Generally, higher HTHS oils pack more Zinc etc.

Higher HTHS gives more “cushion” for the lack if better word. More margin. Manufacturers when choosing low HTHS oils, and with that improving efficiency, calculate majority of drivers and whether low HTHS will cause premature wear for that majority. But, if majority is the one expected to use vehicle hard, then you get approvals like Porsche C40 or VW511.00. That tells you that there is no substitute for HTHS. Otherwise, VW would recommend for RS6 also VW508.00 and not VW511.00. They would also gain performance too, not just save few drops of gas.
Of course, I get the idea that the greater the HTHS the greater the protection. I also understand that high HTHS oils generally have some higher Zinc, etc.

Assume there are two identical HTHS oils, one with a superior anti-wear pack. Surely it would provide better wear protection than one with inferior anti-wear pack. So, take the concept further: if you had an HTHS oil with a superior anti-wear pack compared to an oil with a slightly higher HTHS, the lower HTHS oil with a better anti-wear pack could match or even outperform the wear rate compared to an oil with higher HTHS but an inferior additive pack.

If not true, then the anti-wear pack is serving no real purpose relative to wear. That's why I questioned the statement that higher HTHS "always results in less wear" in the previous post.

Of course, I get the idea that the greater the HTHS the greater the protection. I also understand that high HTHS oils generally have some higher Zinc, etc.

Assume there are two identical HTHS oils, one with a superior anti-wear pack. Surely it would provide better wear protection than one with inferior anti-wear pack. So, take the concept further: if you had an HTHS oil with a superior anti-wear pack compared to an oil with a slightly higher HTHS, the lower HTHS oil with a better anti-wear pack could match or even outperform the wear rate compared to an oil with higher HTHS but an inferior additive pack.

If not true, then the anti-wear pack is serving no real purpose relative to wear. That's why I questioned the statement that higher HTHS "always results in less wear" in the previous post.
Remember many common engine oil additives are multifunctional so it's not just one type for wear and one type for cleanliness etc. Anyways, the consumer isn't going to know whether the addpack is "good" or "inferior". You can't go by amounts off a UOA either because some base oil blends may require more additives vs other blends to meet the same performance requirements of the approval. Example is QS Euro 5w40 vs Pennzoil Euro 5w40 GTL. The GTL base is superior and a UOA will show a reduction in some additives vs the QS but that's doesn't mean the QS is "better" because it has "more". Also some additives don't appear in UOA's and there are different versions of an additive such as ZDDP where a UOA won't tell you which version you have.

Now you're on the right track that addpack becomes more important as the HTHS is reduced. The 20 and sub-20 grade oils the addpack is extremely important because the HTHS is so low which means more opportunity for an event where only the AW layer keeps the metal apart.

Last edited:
Now you're on the right track that addpack becomes more important as the HTHS is reduced. The 20 and sub-20 grade oils the addpack is extremely important because the HTHS is so low which means more opportunity for an event where only the AW layer keeps the metal apart.
That is believable.

All, I ordered some M1 5w-30 ESP for my B58 340i from Autozone.
I like using their M1 special so I can get the wife's Honda M1 EP filter included.

Looks like they gave me a 5qt of the new formula C3 SP LL-04 and two quarts of the older C2/C3 SN stuff.

Is this worth exchanging, or should I just use two quarts as they came?

My thoughts are no since it's VW504 and MB229.52, so it can't matter all that much.

IMG_9854.JPG

IMG_9855.JPG

All, I ordered some M1 5w-30 ESP for my B58 340i from Autozone.
I like using their M1 special so I can get the wife's Honda M1 EP filter included.

Looks like they gave me a 5qt of the new formula C3 SP LL-04 and two quarts of the older C2/C3 SN stuff.

Is this worth exchanging, or should I just use two quarts as they came?

My thoughts are no since it's VW504 and MB229.52, so it can't matter all that much.

View attachment 207355

View attachment 207356
Just use it.

which is it? BMWturbo's answer is from

BMW 230i (B46) oil topic.​

They are not designed with grade in mind. Different markets have different recommendations. Initially, that engine in Europe was recommended for LL04, here LL01FE, now LL17FE, and moving to LL19FE and LL22FE. The reason is CAFE and WLTP. Tuned B58 are running 15W50 and 5W50 on tracks in many instances.

Valueable post, thanks for this. So you're saying for wear protection, go with the highest HTHS oil and highest ZDDP pack? That seems to line up with my limited research. The only thing that still throws me for a loop is high ZDDP is one thing, but what about calcium/magnesium to ZDDP ratio? Is an oil at 1300 ZDDP with 2600 Cal more effective wear add pack than 900 ZDDP and 700 Cal and some magnesium sprinkled in. That part I am not sure of, what say you?

Back