BMW B58 Engine Oil Recommendation

Valueable post, thanks for this. So you're saying for wear protection, go with the highest HTHS oil and highest ZDDP pack? That seems to line up with my limited research. The only thing that still throws me for a loop is high ZDDP is one thing, but what about calcium/magnesium to ZDDP ratio? Is an oil at 1300 ZDDP with 2600 Cal more effective wear add pack than 900 ZDDP and 700 Cal and some magnesium sprinkled in. That part I am not sure of, what say you?
No you don't want to go for highest ZDDP. Not all ZDDP is the same and you'll never know what kind you have. The Mg/Ca ratio is a result of the latest API SP specification.

Yes I did. So I'll connect the dots. The increase in carbon deposits from poor combustion would increase the amount of those deposits making their way to the back of the intake valves. Basically there's two sources of valve deposits. The ash level in the oil oil and the quality of the combustion. The primary contributor is the choice of oil at least in the US where top tier fuels are readily available.

I don't know anything about the quality of gasoline in all of Italy so I wouldn't assume it's the same as the US. In any case the US is not listed so it's irrelevant.

In the US BMW moved their fleet away from oils with a minimum HTHS of 3.5 in order manage the fleetwide FE penalties they were paying. This started about 8 yrs ago. The standard fill at BMW dealerships in the US are the FE oils (HTHS of around 3.2 for 30w) unless they happen to get an older gas/diesel which requires LL01/LL04. Per my face-to-fact discussion with a BMWNA rep a couple of years ago they have no appetite at exploring the possibility of making an announcement that LL04 can be used in place of LL01 for US vehicles.
very good summarised explanation ! missed reading it the first time!

I posted this previously (will not mention car, warranty concerns ect). I'm just inquiring an unbiased oil suggestion for a B58 that is tuned (450 hp 550tq). FL climate. Didn't get a clear decision on what oil to run but wanted to give it another go.

Thanks
What are your engine temps during everyday driving.

Back