Which oil and OCI for BMW B46O engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2018 F39 / X2, which has a B46O engine. BMW recommends BMW TwinPower Turbo Longlife-14 FE + SAE 0W-20 for this engine. When I picked up the vehicle, it had a bottle of BMW TwinPower Turbo Longlife-01 SAE 0W-30 in the rear storage compartment. I'm not clear why the dealership gave me a bottle of 0W-30 when 0W-20 is recommended.

I understand the B38/B46/B48/B58 engines were "designed" for the 0W-20 oil, but I'm wondering how much of the motivation for using such a thin oil is fuel economy or long oil change intervals, as opposed to long engine life. For the record, I've read the Oil University series so I understand the thinking behind thinner oil.

I would appreciate the opinions of this forum regarding whether I should use 0W-20 or 0W-30 oil in my vehicle. Are there any differences between the Longlife-01 and Longlife-14 standards that would imply one oil over the other?

Also, when should I change the oil for the first time? BMW recommends 15000 km oil change interval and service is included. I'm considering changing the oil myself between paid for changes. The vehicle currently has around 1500 kms on the odometer and I'm planning a 1500 km road trip.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: bimmerdriver
I recently purchased a 2018 F39 / X2, which has a B46O engine. BMW recommends BMW TwinPower Turbo Longlife-14 FE + SAE 0W-20 for this engine. When I picked up the vehicle, it had a bottle of BMW TwinPower Turbo Longlife-01 SAE 0W-30 in the rear storage compartment. I'm not clear why the dealership gave me a bottle of 0W-30 when 0W-20 is recommended.

Gotta be a mistake. I'd ask them to correct it.

I understand the B38/B46/B48/B58 engines were "designed" for the 0W-20 oil, but I'm wondering how much of the motivation for using such a thin oil is fuel economy or long oil change intervals, as opposed to long engine life. For the record, I've read the Oil University series so I understand the thinking behind thinner oil.

I would appreciate the opinions of this forum regarding whether I should use 0W-20 or 0W-30 oil in my vehicle. Are there any differences between the Longlife-01 and Longlife-14 standards that would imply one oil over the other?

Well long OCIs wouldn't be a reason for thin oil. If anything, they'd be a reason for thicker oil to cope with fuel dilution.

Either way, there's another possible reason: BMW reckons the 0W-20 is good enough to protect the engine in its expected use, and anything thicker would just run hotter and reduce fuel economy for no good reason. Oil should always be as thin as possible, and as thick as necessary.

No one but BMW knows why they chose this spec. We know fuel economy was part of it because they advertise that; beyond that, the question is unanswerable, and thus not worth pondering. The real question for people like us is whether we can do a better job by second-guessing BMW. I'm inclined to say no.

As for LL-01 vs. LL-14+: LL-01 was a general purpose spec based on ACEA A3, which is focused on long OCIs and requires an HTHS viscosity of 3.5 and up. LL-14+ is specific to the N20 and Bx8 engines, and requires much lower viscosity. Guessing here, but I bet they kept the minimum performance standards from previous specs, simply requiring them to be met with a thinner lubricant.

Either way, you should run what the car specs -- not because we necessarily know it's the best thing, but because there's nothing to say anything else will do better.

Also, when should I change the oil for the first time? BMW recommends 15000 km oil change interval and service is included. I'm considering changing the oil myself between paid for changes. The vehicle currently has around 1500 kms on the odometer and I'm planning a 1500 km road trip.

No harm in that plan. If you plan to keep this car as long as possible, go ahead and drain the factory fill. Just make sure you refill it with the spec oil and don't tell BMW.

Thank you for your reply.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Gotta be a mistake. I'd ask them to correct it.

Sounds like a good idea.

No harm in that plan. If you plan to keep this car as long as possible, go ahead and drain the factory fill. Just make sure you refill it with the spec oil and don't tell BMW.

Is there any reason to think the factory fill isn't 0W-20? Should I change it before driving another 1500 kms or when I get back?

Is there any reason to think the factory fill isn't 0W-20? Should I change it before driving another 1500 kms or when I get back?

No idea what the factory fill is. Maybe the dealership or BMW USA can tell you.

Drain it sooner rather than later, IMO.

What does your owners manual say? If it allows for LL-01, I would use that. Cheaper, better, easier to find. It was spec'd (largely) without MPG in mind.

Also, the 0W-30 you mentioned is actually LL-01 "FE". It is thinner than regular LL-01 (HTHS ~3.0 instead of ~3.5). The LL-14 is even thinner yet. No thanks.

Last edited:
The manual says the following:

BMW Longlife-01 FE
BMW Longlife-14 FE+

API SL
API SM
API SN

SAE 0W-20
SAE 0W-30

In that order.

The sticker on the underside of the hood says 0W-20 (nothing else).

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Google” bimmerpost b-46 “for an excellent technical guide.
If we're thinking of the same thing, I have that engine reference already, thanks. It's part of a series about the F48.

The manual says the following:

BMW Longlife-01 FE
BMW Longlife-14 FE+

API SL
API SM
API SN

SAE 0W-20
SAE 0W-30

In that order.

The sticker on the underside of the hood says 0W-20 (nothing else).

Well there you have it. Either oil is acceptable.

On another note - BMW has really seemed to struggle with oil recommendations and dealership stock in recent years (mainly since the switch to Shell/Pennzoil). I know for the F8x M3/4 there have been numerous discrepancies among owners manuals with some calling for 0w30 and others calling for 5w30 or 0w40. Then BMW offered their branded "M" oil in 0w40 which was desired by may but quickly taken off the shelves. Then you have some dealerships using 5w30 and others using 0w30 to fill the cars.

While those of us who know BMW certification standards understand that any LL-01 or LL-01FE oil is suitable, it really creates confusion for the average person who doesnt know the first thing about oil and sees one recommendation in their owners manual, another on the underside of their hood, and then looks at the invoice after an oil change at the dealership and wonders if the correct viscosity was used.

Here is a good example. A quick search on BMWusa.com yields this result when searching for the M3 owners manual. It states you should only use LL-01FE oils but in a pinch, you can use up to 1qt of LL-01 oil if you are low. Then it goes on to recommend 0w30 for viscosity (which makes sense as that is BMW's LL-01FE offering) but also says 5w30, 0w40, and 5w40 are suitable as well. However there are no LL-01FE oils with 5w30, 0w40, or 5w40 viscosity grades to my knowledge, only LL-01 oils. So on one hand they are saying to only use LL-01 in an emergency if you get a low oil light and on the other they are saying its perfectly fine to use for a full fill.

Seems pretty clear to me that when they say "alternative", they're talking about what you can fall back on if the prime choice isn't available. In no way does that suggest those options are entirely equivalent.

Seems pretty clear to me that when they say "alternative", they're talking about what you can fall back on if the prime choice isn't available. In no way does that suggest those options are entirely equivalent.

That is not how I read it at all. Under the alternative section it says "If an engine oil suitable for continuous use is not available, up to 1qt of an engine oil with the following oil rating can be added". To me, this is saying that if you cant find an LL-01FE oil you can use only up to 1qt of an LL-01 or API SL as a substitute (i.e. this would be in the case of needing to top off the oil if you receive a low oil warning).

Yeah, that's where they implicitly define "alternative." That's why it makes sense that they'd list all those other non-FE viscosities as "alternatives."

Regardless of that, though, the fact remains that they do not say or even imply that those other options are equivalent to LL-01 FE 0W-30.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
All new B generation engines are made to use LL01 first and foremost.

I'm wondering on what basis you say this. I would have thought they were designed for LL-14 FE+, which came out in the same time frame as the engines.

They are specifying the use of LL-14FE+ in Europe now as well.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
All new B generation engines are made to use LL01 first and foremost.

I'm wondering on what basis you say this. I would have thought they were designed for LL-14 FE+, which came out in the same time frame as the engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back