BMW B58 Engine Oil Recommendation

Per BMW's technical documentation system (TIS), LL-01, LL-01 FE, LL-14/17 FE+ are listed as compatible with the B58 - with 0w-20 17 FE+ as being the 'recommend' oil.

This could be due to CAFE/EPA considerations, or due to the fact that 20 weight warms up quicker and flows more quickly to lubrication points - especially during a start/stop cycle.

It also states that LL-04/12 should not be used in North America for gasoline engines.
LL04 is listed for the B58 in the handbook of my 21 model 745Le

Sorry to bump an old thread as OP, but since Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is now LL-01 approved, would there be any benefits/disadvantages to switch over Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W-40 (other than price)? Motul is what I have been running for the last few changes and have UOAs. Driving type hasn't changed. Thanks!

Sorry to bump an old thread as OP, but since Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is now LL-01 approved, would there be any benefits/disadvantages to switch over Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W-40 (other than price)? Motul is what I have been running for the last few changes and have UOAs. Driving type hasn't changed. Thanks!
No.

Well, I would prefer the API SP M1 0W-40 to the SN formulation of X-Cess Gen 2 just for peace of mind regarding LSPI. If we are talking about the new SP formulation of X-Cess Gen 2 then it is probably also a top notch choice. I would probably prefer X-Clean Gen 2 in a B58 though assuming your manual allows for LL-04.

Well, I would prefer the API SP M1 0W-40 to the SN formulation of X-Cess Gen 2 just for peace of mind regarding LSPI. If we are talking about the new SP formulation of X-Cess Gen 2 then it is probably also a top notch choice. I would probably prefer X-Clean Gen 2 in a B58 though assuming your manual allows for LL-04.

I am not sure why they have different specs in the US

But LL04 is one of the option sin the handbook in the UK for the B58 in my car.

BMW dealers use LL04 when servicing, the car is specced for 0w20 aswell, witho it double checking LL17 FE

I am not sure why they have different specs in the US

But LL04 is one of the option sin the handbook in the UK for the B58 in my car.

BMW dealers use LL04 when servicing, the car is specced for 0w20 aswell, witho it double checking LL17 FE
Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE). BMW won't recommend LL01/LL04 in the US because their vehicles were certified on the 20w and FE 30w oils.

BMW has been using the low saps 20w and the 0w30 (FE oils) in the US for the B-series engines since introduction around 2018 or so. They dropped LL01 around 2015 and at the time the US didn't have ULSG so LL04 was only for the diesels which BMW stopped selling them a couple of year ago. The US moved to ULSG in 2020.

Bumping this up again as I have a B58-powered BMW out of warranty and now with 40k miles. I'm looking for a good oil and would prefer it be available at Walmart or the local auto parts store, etc. and not necessarily something I would have to obtain via an online order.

I have read pages so far of the CAFE fuel-economy vs. wear issues and it seems something with an LL-01 rating would be ideal.
(For what it's worth, my manual recommends LL-01 FE or LL-14 FE+ in a 0W-20 or 0W-30 grade).

Looking to keep the car long-term, it has an engine tune and hi-flow downpipe.
I live in the Mid-Atlantic where temps are generally 20-30F in the winter and 90+F in the summer.
The car is driven about 10k miles year and does a fare share of idling in the winters and summer, mostly around town-driving, short commutes to work (about 9 miles one way) etc.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 seems to fit the bill and now is LL-01 rated. Are there any others I should consider as well?

Finally I am relying on the BMW oil change monitor to alert me of changes needed...it has generally been about 10,000 mile OCIs. Should I be changing more frequently?

Last edited:
Bumping this up again as I have a B58-powered BMW out of warranty and now with 40k miles. I'm looking for a good oil and would prefer it be available at Walmart or the local auto parts store, etc. and not necessarily something I would have to obtain via an online order.

I have read pages so far of the CAFE fuel-economy vs. wear issues and it seems something with an LL-01 rating would be ideal.
(For what it's worth, my manual recommends LL-01 FE or LL-14 FE+ in a 0W-20 or 0W-30 grade).

I live in the Mid-Atlantic where temps are generally 20-30F in the winter and 90+F in the summer.
The car is driven about 10k miles year and does a fare share of idling in the winters and summer, mostly around town-driving, short commutes to work (about 9 miles one way) etc.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 seems to fit the bill and now is LL-01 rated. Are there any others I should consider as well?

Finally I am relying on the BMW oil change monitor to alert me of changes needed...it has generally been about 10,000 mile OCIs. Should I be changing more frequently?
You didn’t find a good answer in this thread?

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 will do it. LL17FE is basically thinner version of LL04.
If you want LL01 M1 0W40, Castrol Edge 5W40 and 5W30 A3 will do it.
But personally, I would go Castrol Edge 0W30 available on Amazon.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 will do it. LL17FE is basically thinner version of LL04.
Thanks - why do you recommend the Castrol Edge 0W30 over the other brands and viscosities?

Thanks - why do you recommend the Castrol Edge 0W30 over the other brands and viscosities?
Bcs. IMO it is still best Euro oil.
Research topics about it, “German Castrol.”
Another one that looks now very interesting is Motul 0W30 X-Clean+ EFE.
But, you could always go those oils I mentioned available in Wal Mart.

Thanks again edyvw. I think I found it at Amazon:

Castrol Edge A3/B4 0W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil​

Elsewhere I was reading that any oil with both LL-01 and Mercedes 229.5 certifications would be a very stout oil for the B58. Does this make sense?

Reactions: JXW
Thanks again edyvw. I think I found it at Amazon:

Castrol Edge A3/B4 0W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil​

Elsewhere I was reading that any oil with both LL-01 and Mercedes 229.5 certifications would be a very stout oil for the B58. Does this make sense?
A lot of oils will be stout and a lot have those two approvals together.
In Auto Zone you have Mobil1 ESP 5W30 that is also excellent choice. It is BMW LL04. Why BMW lists LL01 when it is putting in dealerships LL17FE which is thinner LL04, is beyond me.
But, if you go LL01 that would be my go to. Any oil in Wal Mart will do it too, ESPECIALLY Mobil1 0W40.
Be aware, if you get Castrol 0W30 you might get old packaging that doesn’t list LL01. Oil didn’t change, but it is now again LL01.

What about PP Euro LX 0w30?

Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 is excellent and coming with MB 229.51 and 229.52, VW 504 00/507 00 and Porsche C30 but sadly no single BMW approval. Just read the product data sheet.
Anyway from a technical view it could substitute LL-04 after warranty. However, why not just get M1 ESP 5W-30 or similar with BMW LL-04 or LL-01?

Back