BMW 15k oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on BMW's 15k oci recommendation?

My friend has a '07 550i and I think he should change the oil more frequently...maybe go 7,500 oci at the most. I get the feeling if BMW didn't include free maintenance, they would recommend 5k/7.5k for normal/severe use.

What do you all think? Anyone ever see or do a tear down following the 15k oci?

OCIs of this duration have been typical for years on BMWs in Europe where BMW does not include free maintenance, so I'm not sure that this argument flies. I have also not heard of any sludge stories on BMW in Europe, as long as proper oil was used.

Also, it's not a hard 15k OCI. The OCI is variable - the cars computer and dielectric oil sensor determine when it's time to replace it. It could be much sooner than 15k miles, depending on how you drive.

In my old 5-series I typically change oil once per year, or every 10k miles, whichever comes first, but I could probably go longer without issues.

Have your friend do a UOA after 15k miles if he's really worried, although a UOA won't tell everything.

It's not a 15k interval. That's just what it says immediately after the counter is reset. It adjusts itself dynamically based on how you are driving.

Now, if you're asking whether to go by what the computer says, I'd say so. A fixed OCI is pretty much guaranteed to be either inadequate or wasteful. BMW (like any other company with a good OLM) put a LOT of effort into developing a system that would lower total cost of long-term ownership -- not just for new vehicles, but also for CPO vehicles with warranties out to 100k miles and beyond. That means stretching OCIs out AND keeping the engine in good shape. Unless your friend regularly flogs his car at the race track, I think you can trust the computer.

EDIT: Foiled by QP!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
EDIT: Foiled by QP!

lol.gif

With only a minute apart, let's call it even.

My friends X5 needed new camshafts by 100,000 miles after following those extended oil change intervals

Originally Posted By: qship1996
My friends X5 needed new camshafts by 100,000 miles after following those extended oil change intervals

This does not imply a causational relationship between oil and camshaft failures. It could be caused by many other factors not only limited to oil filter failure.

If you are OCD like I am about maintenance of a vehicle that requires extended drain capabilities but also has little piston ring blow-by you may be interested in Redline oils. They have a terrific additive package and perform well for extended OCI in vehicles that are not excessively worn out.

Don't sweat it too much. Keep in mind though that BMW Oil runs out of buffer around 10K miles in AFAIK. As always, YMMV.

The best plan for someone doing yearly dealer service is to get the dealer oil change for winter, drain it halfway (or use an extractor) and refill it with another oil. If they did it right, they could use cheap 15w-40 over the summer and get the change to lighter BMW 5w-30 late in Fall.

Swapping between two oils only guarantees one thing: that you never get the full benefit of either oil.

Using anything "cheap" in a modern VALVETRONIC V8 strikes me as more than a bit silly.

The BMW 5w-30 will work very well year-round. Do the halfway changes if you want, but stick to one oil.

My excellent uoas in my Saab 9-3 show me that 15k max ocis are very doable... When designed for it. And some use profiles even let them be done in vehicles where it was not designed/recommended. It is dependent on using the right oil though.

I would be hesitant on di engines, like the n54/55, without stringent uoa.

Originally Posted By: norml
^^^speaking of Red Line, I currently use RL and was looking at what different places were selling it for and came upon this. You'll need to click on the first product "Red Line High Performance Engine Oil"...

http://store.bimmerworld.com/shared/Stor...amp;x=0&y=0

I'm wondering if anyone experienced this.

I've seen that advertising before, if that's what you mean.
wink.gif

I think it's disingenuous to say the least, for two reasons:

1. They keep saying BMW recommends 15k mile OCIs, which isn't true.

2. They say that kind of sludge and varnish are "typical." I find that idea ludicrous. It's hard to imagine that BMW would either fail to catch that kind of sludge in their testing, or let it loose on the market when they are so dependent on resale value and the loyalty of their customer base.

Come to think of it, it's at least as bad as anything Royal Purple has done. Hmmm....

The one authentic valve cover pic I've seen from a car that saw only dealer oil changes according to the OLM was from an E46 M3. It had some varnish but not even a hint of sludge. Other than that, all I've heard are stories, and they go both ways.

Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on BMW's 15k oci recommendation?

My friend has a '07 550i and I think he should change the oil more frequently...maybe go 7,500 oci at the most. I get the feeling if BMW didn't include free maintenance, they would recommend 5k/7.5k for normal/severe use.

What do you all think? Anyone ever see or do a tear down following the 15k oci?

BMW also calls for European Formula Synthetics don't they?

Other than that, all I've heard are stories, and they go both ways.

I guess that's typical of almost anything. I did some quick searching on some BMW forums and it looks like there's a bunch of owners using 5k - 7.5k oci's.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
BMW also calls for European Formula Synthetics don't they?

I'm not sure. I just found it and showed my buddy. I think he's convinced to NOT go by BMW's computer so he'll be doing some research. I tend to agree with him. It's a relatively low expense for the peace of mind he'll get.

I was surprised that the 550i took 8 1/2 quarts of oil!!! I wonder if that's one reason they could go the 15k miles between changes.

I was surprised that the 550i took 8 1/2 quarts of oil!!! I wonder if that's one reason they could go the 15k miles between changes.

It is one of the reasons. My 530i takes 7 quarts.

Shudder to think there might actually be reasoning behind their recommendations, eh?
wink.gif

Swapping between two oils only guarantees one thing: that you never get the full benefit of either oil.

That really doesn't make any sense.

Using anything "cheap" in a modern VALVETRONIC V8 strikes me as more than a bit silly.

Right, because 15w-40s are known for sludging.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Right, because 15w-40s are known for sludging.

Why not just direct your comments to the original poster(s) since they seem to be the only party whom you don't have a disagreement with.

Shudder to think there might actually be reasoning behind their recommendations, eh?
wink.gif

Right, again, as-if nobody ever had a problem after running full-length BMW ocis. I personally know someone who needed a full-desludge and new camshafts in his wife's X5 after dealer service, but I guess you would argue with him about it.

Would a portion, like 5k, of the "recommended" 15k ocis been run on 15w-40 made a difference in the final result? I think so, but it's not enough for posters to express a logical opinion, lest they are berated for it.

Quote:

The following is for anyone who might be reading. I'm not interested in debating Audi Junkie on something he must know already from his time here.

If you keep swapping oils, you never have a time when one oil is is there on its own. Neither oil can do its job as intended because there's always a little bit of something else in there. Oils have to lay down films to work, which takes time. When you switch oils, the new oil has to clean up the old oil's film and lay down its own. If you keep switching, you never give either oil time to do its work. This does NOT mean the mix is going to wreck your engine; it just means you're never getting the full benefit of whatever oil you're using.

Given that you have good oil choices that will work year-round (e.g. the BMW 5w-30), there should be no real benefit to switching to another oil anyway.

So, no benefit + possible risk = no reason to try.

...Unless, of course, you're just morbidly curious. I can't imagine taking that kind of liberty with an '07 550i, but hey, whatever makes you happy.
wink.gif

If you want something thicker, use Mobil 1 0w-40. It has the approvals you need, is a GREAT oil with a very good track record, and will still flow well when cold (unlike, say, a 15w-40).

The M54 in my wife's X3 tends to be somewhat hard on M1 0W-40. It does a bit better on 5W-40 TDT. The truck has 89,000 miles on it and the TBN was down to 1.6 after 8,700 miles. All other numbers were good(within spec and at or below the universal averages). In contrast, the 0W-40 TBN would be at 1.1 or less after as little as 6900 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back