Black Vehicle??

Of course in response to @Zee09's thread on white vehicles, have you owned, or would you own, a black vehicle?

We've owned several black vehicles:
- 2002 Expedition Eddie Bauer, black with tan leather interior
- 1982 Mercury Capri "Black Magic"
- 2016 Dodge Durango Limited, Black on Black
- 2018 RAM 1500 Big Horn (EcoDiesel) black on black leather
- 2019 RAM 1500 Sport (current) black on black
- 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT (x2) black on black extended leather

Been looking at BMW X5's in black on black lately, which are, IMHO, absolutely gorgeous.

100101312.jpeg
Black is very handsome but too hot down here. I go with Silver or White.

Of course in response to @Zee09's thread on white vehicles, have you owned, or would you own, a black vehicle?

We've owned several black vehicles:
- 2002 Expedition Eddie Bauer, black with tan leather interior
- 1982 Mercury Capri "Black Magic"
- 2016 Dodge Durango Limited, Black on Black
- 2018 RAM 1500 Big Horn (EcoDiesel) black on black leather
- 2019 RAM 1500 Sport (current) black on black
- 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT (x2) black on black extended leather

Been looking at BMW X5's in black on black lately, which are, IMHO, absolutely gorgeous.

100101312.jpeg
Not black, but generally prefer dark color cars. I had a deep dark blue car that aged very well with time and never gave me problems in keeping it clean.

I am not convinced that dark color cars hold more heat or do anything differently than a lighter color, you live somewhere hot, car will be hot no matter the color, I would have no qualms getting that beautiful vehicle.

Also a fan of dark metallic greys. I like that M5 in drfeelgood's post. Have not lived anywhere hot where I am seeing people essentially saying dont buy a black car.

I bought a black Cobalt SS. Then later inherited a very scratched up black Impala.... They look nice when clean but even driving a few blocks they pick up dust. Drive it to work and by the time I go home there is a layer.

But the real reason I won't get another is because I think about 95% of the cars around here are black, white, silver or metallic gray. Whatever happened to red or blue? I suppose if I wanted to rob banks for a living, I'd be driving a small black SUV of some sort as a getaway car. I'd be totally invisible!

I used to have a black Impreza. Current Tacoma is black. Too long to fit in the garage so it sits outside. It’s fairly annoying that it never stays clean. Scratches get seen easily. The sun etches the clear with just about anything.

But I like it because for the 5 minutes that it’s clean it’s reflection is deeper than any other color. Black is a pretty easy color for OEMs to get right. Let’s say there has never been a car that I wouldn’t get in black, but there are a handful of cars I wouldn’t get in white because the shade is either too flat or too yellow.

Not black, but generally prefer dark color cars. I had a deep dark blue car that aged very well with time and never gave me problems in keeping it clean.

I am not convinced that dark color cars hold more heat or do anything differently than a lighter color, you live somewhere hot, car will be hot no matter the color, I would have no qualms getting that beautiful vehicle.

Also a fan of dark metallic greys. I like that M5 in drfeelgood's post. Have not lived anywhere hot where I am seeing people essentially saying dont buy a black car.
Anecdote: i had a 2016 golf sportwagen in tungsten silver, fairly dark color, and it was significantly hotter than the same 2019 alltrack in white. The darker color also had darker interior and neither had tint. Darker wagon sometimes felt like it had underpowered A/C on the hottest days and the white one could keep up.

Not for a daily driver. My S2000 is black on black and it looks great but is too hot in the summer and always dirty.

Attachments

• 3CB922EF-318B-4E4D-9698-E0E23995CD97.jpeg
    3CB922EF-318B-4E4D-9698-E0E23995CD97.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 3
Anecdote: i had a 2016 golf sportwagen in tungsten silver, fairly dark color, and it was significantly hotter than the same 2019 alltrack in white. The darker color also had darker interior and neither had tint. Darker wagon sometimes felt like it had underpowered A/C on the hottest days and the white one could keep up.
Interesting.. one of my coworkers also was lamenting on how hard it is to keep his black spots car clean just today.

Seems like I was wrong. The notion black holds more heat .. well, when both Mythbusters and this site say it is true, I will drop my objections and believe it.

I would likely still get a black car, I like them.

UNLV did a parking lot test during the summer with a white car and a black one both of the same make. I remember it was before 2010. The temp in the black one skyrocketed but an an hour later they both had comparable temps in the 140's. I am sure it would vary by vehicle type.

UNLV did a parking lot test during the summer with a white car and a black one both of the same make. I remember it was before 2010. The temp in the black one skyrocketed but an an hour later they both had comparable temps in the 140's. I am sure it would vary by vehicle type.
At some point the temperature difference inside vs out is too great to gain any additional heat. This test would not reflect the rate heat is added while your driving around blasting your A/C.

Theres plenty of studies about roofing color and attic/house temperatures out there indicating lighter colors heat less as we would expect.

At some point the temperature difference inside vs out is too great to gain any additional heat. This test would not reflect the rate heat is added while your driving around blasting your A/C.

Theres plenty of studies about roofing color and attic/house temperatures out there indicating lighter colors heat less as we would expect.
I can't remember the interior colors of the test vehicles. That probably affected it some.

Bought the accord black on black because the wife and I both thought it looked reasonably slick. In general, black for interior or exterior isn’t my first choice. I like color. I do wish they still offered red and blue and green interiors in cars.

Alas, I do have two black vehicles.
33655592-C1A9-4EBE-9C57-976BD2B4DCB5.jpeg
A0808A44-F87C-4B23-B7FF-4C8100A31428.jpeg

Back