2022 Jeep Wagoneer review

As both a Stellantis and a Toyota owner, if I had to spend that much money, I would take my chances on a Toyota product.
I’m still salty about the “indestructible” Camry I bought that subsequently proved itself to very much be destructible via engine meltdown and refuse to buy anything else made by them. Rational? Absolutely not but I’m sticking to it out of spite.

For that kind of money though, I’m buying a black Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2 V8 and dark walnut interior with 20% window tint 🤤
IMG_7165.jpeg

66k € for that car is cheap for its size. I would buy it. Good family car. This car is 100k € plus in my country. 169k € with the hemi v8 engine.

I think for my $90k I'll buy a Pilot Elite and put the other $30k in my Marcus account.
I just bought this (2022 Highlander-Limited)-you could buy two and still have plenty left....and the doors open very wide and it's swivel point is right at the hip for getting in-

Attachments

• PXL_20230326_020354108.jpg
    PXL_20230326_020354108.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 7
I’m still salty about the “indestructible” Camry I bought that subsequently proved itself to very much be destructible via engine meltdown and refuse to buy anything else made by them. Rational? Absolutely not but I’m sticking to it out of spite.

For that kind of money though, I’m buying a black Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2 V8 and dark walnut interior with 20% window tint 🤤
View attachment 149011
I'm still having trouble how you're salty about an engine in a 20 year old car not surviving after being overheated.

I'm not even an FCA fan and if the engine in my 9 year old Grand Cherokee didn't survive an overheat, I wouldn't be salty over it.

View attachment 149011

As much as I like the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, if I was in the market for a full size SUV, I'd have a tough time passing up the GM offerings.

I'm still having trouble how you're salty about an engine in a 20 year old car not surviving after being overheated.

I'm not even an FCA fan and if the engine in my 9 year old Grand Cherokee didn't survive an overheat, I wouldn't be salty over it.
I didn’t claim to be rational in my logic…. Much like a bunch of other people who bought other brands used vehicles, had issues with them, then swore off that brand forever 😉

Toyota is the first thing I recommend to people who aren’t “car people” and just want/need a vehicle to go from A to B with no fuss.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I didn’t claim to be rational in my logic…. Much like a bunch of other people who bought other brands used vehicles, had issues with them, then swore off that brand forever 😉

Toyota is the first thing I recommend to people who aren’t “car people” and just want/need a vehicle to go from A to B with no fuss.

Like people still bringing up the Vega 50 years later.

View attachment 149011
Ours once was a full line GM dealer - after dropping Caddy last year - the Yukon Denali is now the after church country club lunch runner 😷

Do you own a Toyota Sequoia? didn't even know they existed 😃 Fiat 500 holds up pretty good, expect for the paint
No, was considering new model, but I am glad I didn’t got crazy to go that route.
For example, they had big issues with wastegate and it is positioned in such a way that one has to remove body from frame to replace it.

I will give them a pass when used for outlander activities. Good 4WD, good transmission. Cottage industry of off road accessories. Very popular among campers here.
But on road? Grossly underpowered, lazy etc, etc.
They are fine - started the 3WD thing with our engineering manager
😷

Just Enjoyed a 1500> mile trip driving a 2023 Wagoneer. It was equipped with all the options but the sunroof. 5.7 engine.
Just a short review. Trip was from WI to KY. 3 adults and gear. I have never driven such a nice vehicle. We started our day driving the first 80 mile in a snow storm 10-20" of snow. Just put it in snow mode and the suspension lifted a bit and off we went no issues. The rest of the way and back the vehicle drove and handled everything great. I never rode in anything this smooth and quiet. Android auto and all the Navigation worked get. Took just second to sync my phone. Plenty of power and we averaged just a little over 20MPG for entire trip. Which IMO is pretty darn good for a vehicle this size going 75 MPH most of the trip. Everyone felt very comfortable, plenty of adjustment with front and back seats. We drove straight through, both ways.
If it was not for the price I would own one.
Maybe I can talk my boss into giving this for a retirement gift. LOL

i remember my 1984 Jeep Cherokee, and it was a dog. It got horrible gas mileage, and it was rough riding. At the time, it was the most expensive vehicle I ever owned.

Last edited:
Like people still bringing up the Vega 50 years later.
Oh, so you've talked to my mother before? Has she told you her theory about the rear defroster button will kill your battery because the one time she tried it on her Vega, it went dead?

My parents are once again considering a replacement for their ancient and somewhat derelict 2000 Expedition. Dad is 75 this year and he's driving around in a 22 year old vehicle in the rust belt. The blower motor just failed on it the other day, so it is once again in the shop. It has perpetual starter issues because you can't get an OE from Ford anymore and the China starters are all garbage. It also needs a manifold replaced again as it's ticking like crazy. The old 5.4L 2V and 4R100 combo are however still trucking along with everything seeming to want to fall apart around it.

My dad had my Grand Cherokee for two weeks when I was in the hospital for my heart surgery and thoroughly enjoyed it. He likes the smaller size, which he's finding gives him a bit more confidence at his age. My mom is overweight and needs her other knee replaced so has very poor mobility. She was unable to get into my SRT and it takes her considerable effort to get into their Expedition.

I showed dad both the Wagoneer and Grand Cherokee L. He of course liked the L better, so I brought that home first. I will review that separately. Mom was able to get into it, but it took a bit of work. The Wagoneer, she was able to very easily get into it due to the generous factory running boards, automatic kneeling for ingress/egress and location of access handles as well as large door openings, like a truck. We suspected this to be the case, as she has no problem getting in/out of my wife's RAM 1500, but she's adamant that they don't want a truck (dad wanted a truck, lol).

Since we are scaling back the towing (boats are being stored near the cottage now, rather than here in the city), towing requirements are not lofty, so both of these are overkill in that department.

Qualifiers from my parents:
- Conventional powertrain with V8
- Ability to lower for easier entry
- Good ride quality
- Leather
- Heated seats/wheel
- Power liftgate
- 3 rows of seats for transporting the grandkids

We looked at the Wagoneer, as the 5.7L HEMI is a massive power upgrade from their old 5.4L 2V. Backed by the excellent ZF 8HP, it's a proven powertrain that will be low maintenance, albeit, a bit thirsty (but so is the 2V, so that's not really an issue). Dad had no interest in the Grand Wagoneer with the larger 6.4L engine.

Some pics:

View attachment 94565
View attachment 94566
View attachment 94568
View attachment 94569
View attachment 94570
View attachment 94571
View attachment 94573
View attachment 94574
View attachment 94567

Pros:
- Rides and drives like a RAM 1500. The ride quality is excellent, road noise is basically non-existent, it swallows bumps that you'd think it shouldn't be able to with ease. It feels firm and planted and is generally very relaxing to drive.
- Updated UConnect screen is VERY nice. The interface is responsive and intuitive.
- Wireless charging is well placed and there are multiple spots to place your phone if not charging it.
- Centre console buttons are well laid-out.
- Physical controls for HVAC along the bottom of the screen
- Passenger-side screen for navigation input
- Extremely well trimmed with quality materials throughout
- Electric folding middle and rear rows. Rear row is also electric coming back up (middle is manual)
- Excellent HUD that shows navigation information as well as speed limit and current speed
- Power liftgate with adjustable opening height
- HD camera with 360 degree view
- Alpine stereo sounded very good, likely the same system as the RAM 1500, which we have no complaints about
- Massage function on seats is something my parents were excited about
- Large, well placed running boards made entry/exit extremely easy

Cons:
- The brake pedal feel is a bit weird. It has a lot of initial bite, but it doesn't seem to modulate in a normal manner. I assume this is related to the eTorque system.
- The heated seat buttons, which are on the trim next to the uConnect screen, didn't always work when I pushed them and it isn't clear where you are supposed to push. These are capacitive buttons and there are two of them, one for the main seat heat, the other for the back heat, where you can choose where the heat goes on your back. This struck me as being overly complicated and of no real benefit.
- The physical HVAC buttons didn't adjust the temperature when I was not in the HVAC control screen on the display. That renders those buttons far less useful than they would be otherwise, working all the time. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be this way, but that's how it functioned.

Other than the weirdness with the seat heat buttons, my impression of the vehicle was quite positive. Build quality seemed very good, no weird panel gaps or anything unusual.

This was my mom's favourite of the two. She liked the size and how easy it was for her to get in and out. My dad was concerned about the size, he clearly wants to downsize. Will be interesting to see which direction they go.

Thanks for sharing the information about your cars, family. Hope all is well on the health front for many decades to come.

I used to own a 1964 Jeep Wagoneer Willy given to me by my Aunt. I loved the vehicle.
I really liked it's 230 cubic inch straight 6 with overhead valves/cam?
I also liked it's styling - was perhaps the first SUV ever made, before SUV's became a thing.

The one elephant in the room for me in reviewing the new car sticker from the 2022 Jeep Wagoneer is seeing the total price of: $98,465.
Even if someone has a good Net Worth of 1 or 2 or even 5 million, it hard to justify spending about 100k on an SUV.
Maybe I would spend 100k on an earlier model Acura NSX or Rolls Royce or Bentley or Lambhorgini or even a used small luxury yacht, just to have some fun in retirement, but 100k for an SUV is a little pricy for what you're getting. Even though it seems you and I both like Jeeps, if your parents were going to buy a 100k SUV anyway, might be more prudent to suggest a high end luxury Lexus SUV,
as their reliability will likely be better than the Jeeps reliability.

Back