2022 Jeep Wagoneer review

Depends if reliability is a concern...
Plus, dad wants a simple naturally aspirated V8, that takes a lot of options off the table. They are STILL limping along the Expedition but dad is (slowly) making plans for replacement. He's still leaning toward the Grand Cherokee, that's his preference between the two.

The one elephant in the room for me in reviewing the new car sticker from the 2022 Jeep Wagoneer is seeing the total price of: $98,465.
Even if someone has a good Net Worth of 1 or 2 or even 5 million, it hard to justify spending about 100k on an SUV.
My parents spent a lot on their Expedition back in 2000 (>100K inflation adjusted to 2023 dollars), but they've gotten 23 years out of it so far, so TCO hasn't been too bad. You have to remember that everything is more expensive in Canada and all the large SUV's are in this price bracket now.

Given how short cottage season is up here, a small yacht would be a hard sell. Dad will be able to use a new vehicle year round, but we just opened the cottage last weekend and the good weather is really only 3-4 months and he doesn't get off on touring the lakes, he likes to relax, working around the cottage, picking at projects and maintenance stuff and generally just enjoying himself. We do take the odd evening cruise, but even the ski boat is sufficient for that.

My parents spent a lot on their Expedition back in 2000 (>100K inflation adjusted to 2023 dollars), but they've gotten 23 years out of it so far, so TCO hasn't been too bad. You have to remember that everything is more expensive in Canada and all the large SUV's are in this price bracket now.

Given how short cottage season is up here, a small yacht would be a hard sell. Dad will be able to use a new vehicle year round, but we just opened the cottage last weekend and the good weather is really only 3-4 months and he doesn't get off on touring the lakes, he likes to relax, working around the cottage, picking at projects and maintenance stuff and generally just enjoying himself. We do take the odd evening cruise, but even the ski boat is sufficient for that.
Sorry - I didn't realize your were in Canada, so $100,000 CAD is about $73,900 US.
Yes, if buying a new car, it's good to keep it for 20 years so cost of ownership per year is low.

One other concern in Canada is the gasoline price which is significantly higher than in the US.
Gasoline could be the biggest cost of ownership (not maintenance/repairs).

The Jeep Wagoneer sounds like an interesting choice. The 4 wheel drive should come in handy in the winter.

@OVERKILL, why were other American a sn European and Japanese brands omitted? Why only Jeep? Thanks
Dad doesn't like GM. He has looked at the Navigator/Expedition, but wants a simple V8, not a twin turbo DI engine. That removes a lot of options. However, he needs to make up his mind if he wants to move on that because even the HEMI is being phased-out now in favour of a twin turbo I6.

Last edited:
8AC06ED7-F652-408C-9679-C7AC57EA6CDB.jpeg

Dad doesn't like GM. He has looked at the Navigator/Expedition, but wants a simple V8, not a twin turbo DI engine. That removes a lot of options. However, he needs to make up his mind if he wants to move on that because even the HEMI is being phased-out now in favour of a twin turbo I6.
That 6 works very nice in them.....doesn't sound as good, But feels better to me. It would be my pick.

Back