Bikers don't judge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another one is knobs on seal - they wear flat, and it's obvious you never go around corners. But it's how they wear - the knobs bend, fold over and wear on the inside, making the tyre flat.

Best photo I could find of one of mine.

tyres 002.gif

Chicken strips are something you eat. Chicken stripes are on a guys bike that will tell you there are no canyons around, I just ride in the city. "Cause I'm skeer'd"

There are two types of motorcycle riders; those that have Crashed, and those that will Crash. Its inevitable unless you just leave it in the garage and look at it.

Correction, there are four types! Those that Crashed once and never rode again, and those that do the wash and repeat cycle!

I'm in the wash and repeat cycle, you should try it, its kinda fun but it can hurt sometimes pretty bad, and it can cost alot of money, but nobody is going to call you a chicken=Priceless!

Always keep that last little bit unused....for when you need it. Currently no chicken strips on my front tyre, and 10mm on the rear - I really don't want to know where my front tyre is at 5mm on the rear. I usually run a size larger for that reason.

The next step up in tire size will make your bike turn in noticeably slower. Even Bikes that come with a 190 rear will turn in alot faster with a 180 rear on the track. Its night and day . Bigger/Wider = not better.

When I ran shinkos, a few years ago they have/had mold release from hell. I always used a flap wheel on the angle grinder to rough them up and remove all the "Nubs of Shame".

Rod

Chicken stripes are on a guys bike that will tell you there are no canyons around, I just ride in the city. "Cause I'm skeer'd"
You don't need bendy bits to scrub the edge of your tires... just practice your 25 ft circles... this also works to scrub in new hoops...

25ftCircleRC45JPG.JPG

When the Dunlop RoadSmart 3 first hit the market, the first set definitely needed to be scrubbed in for 30 or 40 miles. They were not confidence inspiring initially. It took a few shorter rides of 10-15 miles on a curvy section (i.e. my attempt at heat cycles) gradually increasing lean angle to get them where they should be.

When I replaced them the new set didn't have the same issue. Still took time to scrub them in out of caution but the few initial careful turn-ins felt pretty much like they should.

The next step up in tire size will make your bike turn in noticeably slower. Even Bikes that come with a 190 rear will turn in alot faster with a 180 rear on the track. Its night and day . Bigger/Wider = not better.
If you want to make your bike turn slower with heavy steering, fit narrow bars. With the stock bars my bike has slow heavy steering, I have wide dirttrack bars, the bike is light and responsive and gives a change in riding style....wide late turn in, toss it down quick, pick it up and on the gas. For gravel roads I use the same size front and rear. I obviously have a different experience of riding than you do...so I won't tell you how to ride or how to set up your bike.

The difference between a 180/55 and a 190/50 is profile and
diameter... the 180 is bigger in diameter and sharper in profile...
the change in geometry is as follows... going from a 190 to a 180
means rake is steepen and trail is shorten which lowers the steering
effort... whereas going from a 180 to a 190 means rake is extended and
trail is added which adds to the steering effort...

190/50/17=24.480 621mm

180/55/17=24.795 629mm

gallery_3131_51_11748.jpg

The difference between a 180/55 and a 190/50 is profile and
diameter... the 180 is bigger in diameter and sharper in profile...
the change in geometry is as follows... going from a 190 to a 180
means rake is steepen and trail is shorten which lowers the steering
effort... whereas going from a 180 to a 190 means rake is extended and
trail is added which adds to the steering effort...

190/50/17=24.480 621mm

180/55/17=24.795 629mm

gallery_3131_51_11748.jpg
Got a source for the calculations showing a tighter turn radius with the larger 190 tire?

What's the 24.xxxxx mm showing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back