Vesrah Brake Pads?

The brake disc in the picture was used with the 6 Piston calipers.
The 6 piston caliper brake pads are narrower compared to the 4 Piston brake pads. You could see it in the picture.

The 6 Piston brake pads leaving a rim of roughly 5 mm of the brake disc unused. (!) You could see this on the brake disc, i have highlighted it in Yellow. Click on the Picture. In Contrast, the 4 Piston brake pads use the whole surface of the brake disc.

The picture from me is crap, the angle is confusing. But belive me, the 6 piston brake pads dont use the whole useable surface of the brake disc.
If the 4-piston pad surface area contacts the disc 100% (as do the 6-piston pads), then you're only gaining ~8% more pad surface area on the disc with the 4-piston pads.

The other thing is the 6-piston pad has one more gas venting groove compared to the 4-piston pad ... so that could make a difference too.

I have the same bike he does and I have done the brake caliper swap that he's talked about here. The four pot calipers don't have quite as much low speed touch or feel, IMO, but they are as powerful or more so when grabbing a handful and modulate well.

Plus they save about a pound of weight per side and that was the main reason I swapped them out.

Back