Vesrah Brake Pads?

Gentleman,
can you enlighten me about the qualitiy of VESRAH brake pads? They are really uncommon and unknown here in Germany. VESRAH has withdrawn from the german market. Most bikers here use Brembo, TRW/LUCAS and EBC. I am curios.

I seem to remember them being sold at Louis or Gericke years ago but they didn't seem very popular. Other than that I don't know anything about them.

I've used multiple sets of Vesrah, along with Honda pads on my Goldwings, without an issue. I can't tell the difference between the two. Seem very similar to me.

Vesrah is good quality. Have never had issues with their brake pads/shoes, clutch kits or exhaust spigot gaskets. They are also an OEM supplier to Japanese motorcycle manufacturers.

You are right, the best retro 80s Bike. And it is surprisingly a real head turner.

I was member of the ZRXOA, but i cant log in any more. My mails get unanswered. My screen name was "Bavarian ZRX" back then.

Mods? Just a little bit. Factory Jet kit and shifter kit, BOS muffler, wider and lower handlebar, Mr. KWICK Starter chain tenioner fix, throttle grip, 4° advanced ignition rotor. Selfmade tip-over switch. OEM brake discs modified with aftermarket floater to full floating. Clutch lever bearing changed from brass bushing to tiny ball bearings from a RC car. I have problemes with my "Synoviual tendon sheats", this helps a lot.

I hab bad luck and a accident 2 years ago, my first accident since 1992. All my fault. My almost new ZRX flipped over in the meadows. Destroyed beyond financial reasonable repair. I get hold of a heavy used ZRX, cheap. I disassembled both bikes and then build a new ZRX out of the best parts of both.

This was fun, you start with a frame with a fork in it and pick the best parts out of the shelf... Swingarm, engine, Shocks.... Wrenching slowly over the winter and you end up with a bike better than new. :) And i finally get my much beloved Green-blue-white colour sheme.

"In everything bad is something good" as we say here.

Attachments

• P1060264(1).JPG
    P1060264(1).JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 22
  • P1060179(1).JPG
    P1060179(1).JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 17
  • P1060413(1).JPG
    P1060413(1).JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thanks for all the details on your ZRX experience! Sorry to hear about the accident a couple years ago.

Done some mods on mine as well. ZZR1200 cams and carbs with my own jetting combination, stick coils, high comp pistons, ZX11 ECU, double valve springs, Muzzy full system, Bitubo rear shocks, full Race Tech valving in the forks, GSXR front calipers w/Vesrah pads, ZX9 gauge cluster, other weight saving bits and pieces along the way.

If you're interested in getting on the forum again let me know I can contact the administrator/owner easily.

Thank you Bonz. Nice modifications of your ZRX. 140 or 150 HP? I think about Race Tech valves also.

The brakes are a mystery. The 6 piston Calipers work well with OEM Kawa / Tokico pads, some testers in German Motorcycle mags have stated that they are top notch and to sporty for such a bike as they tested the ZRX back then. With Ferodo pads fitted it was the worst brake i ever had... despite i had the calipers rebuild with new gaskets.

I also fitted the Suzuki / Nissin 4 piston calipers from my old GSXR 1100, also rebuild, with TRW / LUCAS new "Street/Track" pads. While the first bite with 2 fingers is really impressive, you need four fingers and pull the lever like Mr. Schwarzenegger when you try a emergency stop from 60 MPH down.. and even then the front wheel dont lock and the rear wheel dont get airborne. In contrast to the GSXR that could do this with two fingers all day with the standard sinter brake pads from TRW / LUCAS... Go Figure! But the GSXR had a 14 mm pump in contrast to the 5/8" of the ZXR... Maybe this causes this strange behaviour.

Next problem is, you have to get the conversion from 6 to 4 Piston calipers street legal here. While possible, it is a P.I.T.A. and costly. :cautious:

I will go back to the drawing board and put the OEM 6 piston calipers back on, try OEM Kawasaki pads and Vesrah or Carbone Loraine pads. Will see how this works.

Regarding the ZRXOA message board, i will send you a PM. Your help is appreciated. There where a bunch of helpfull and kind people at this board.

I am right in the middle at about 145 horses and 87 foot pounds at the wheel based on those combinations on other bikes yielding similar results. The Tokico GSXR 4-pot calipers bolt right up, as you know, but no issues with the legality over here. Definitely the size of hole in the master cylinder will make a dramatic difference in feel and power.

Yes, i just read the whole "Brakes 101" at ZRXOA. Extremly helpfull.
The GSXR with the 4-pot calipers had a 14mm master cylinder compared to the 5/8" of the ZRX.
But, the 6 piston brake pads of the ZRX have a noticeable smaller(!) contact surface compared to the 4 piston brake pads. They are actullay to small for the brake disc, dont have contact over the full width of the brak disc.
Makes you wonder... did the smaller contact surface of the ZRX brak pads compensate the 5/8" master cylinder? :unsure:

Picture shows 6 piston ZRX brake pads compared with 4 Piston Suzuki brake pads and on a ZRX brake disc.

Attachments

• P1060698(1).JPG
    P1060698(1).JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 18
  • P1060696(1).JPG
    P1060696(1).JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 16
Be interesting to know the actual area of each surface on the respective pads. Six pot pad is a bit wider however the extra height of the four pot pads may make the total contact area real similar.?

But, the 6 piston brake pads of the ZRX have a noticeable smaller(!) contact surface compared to the 4 piston brake pads. They are actullay to small for the brake disc, dont have contact over the full width of the brak disc.
Looks like the 6 piston pads have more disc contact area. The 4 piston pads look like some of the area doesn't even contact the outside diameter of the disc. Which pads came on that disc originally?

Hmm.. the 6 Piston pads are on the left, the 4 Piston pads on the right. The 6 piston pads dont contact the disc fully. This is really strange.

Hmm.. the 6 Piston pads are on the left, the 4 Piston pads on the right. The 6 piston pads dont contact the disc fully. This is really strange.
Which pad has been used on that disc?

The 4 piston pad looks like it's hanging over the inside diameter surface of the area that the pad contacts the disc ... maybe even some on the outside diameter.

I scaled you pictures in post #13 and it looks like the surface area of the 4 piston pad is only ~8% more than the 6 piston pad. But if the surface area of the 4 piston pad doesn't make 100% contact on the disc area then it looks like a wash to me.

When the 4 piston pad is on the disc, does the whole surface area of the pad contact the disc, or is the area shown by the yellow squiggly line not contacting the disc?

1638780035620.png

The brake disc in the picture was used with the 6 Piston calipers.
The 6 piston caliper brake pads are narrower compared to the 4 Piston brake pads. You could see it in the picture.

The 6 Piston brake pads leaving a rim of roughly 5 mm of the brake disc unused. (!) You could see this on the brake disc, i have highlighted it in Yellow. Click on the Picture. In Contrast, the 4 Piston brake pads use the whole surface of the brake disc.

The picture from me is crap, the angle is confusing. But belive me, the 6 piston brake pads dont use the whole useable surface of the brake disc.

Attachments

• 1638780035620.jpg
    1638780035620.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 4
Be interesting to know the actual area of each surface on the respective pads. Six pot pad is a bit wider however the extra height of the four pot pads may make the total contact area real similar.?
Yes... when i find the time, i make better pictures or meassurments.

Back