Bikers don't judge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not answering the question. Please don’t talk in circles. Or maybe it is a deliberate way to avoid the facts and truth.

At the very edge of your tread can you react to an obstacle that requires you to lean farther into the turn? The answer is of course no. But you refuse to answer.

Yep, as long as there is grip in reserve, I can change my line by standing the bike up while hanging off more, or adding more lean angle, and/or speed up, or slow down. All while on the edge of the tire. You do realize the bike can be on the edge of the tire, through a range of lean angle, right?

The "edge of the tire" does not indicate one rigid lean angle value in degrees...

Again, get some advanced riding instruction, as apparently this is unheard of to you.

Laugh if you like ollie, you're only showing your ignorance on the matter. I will give you a hint: Deformation of the casing...

This has devolved into an “I’m faster, better, more skilled” than you so I can ride on the edge of my tire on the street and “for someone of my skills” it’s safe.
I call BS on that since I have done many track days and all the instructors, many of whom are club racers who know how to ride fast, hang off, position their bodies on the bike, etc, all taught us that you need to have reserve on the street. Street riding is not a controlled environment like the race track. If I have chicken strips on my tires that is because I am not a squid racing around hanging off the bike on a public road. If I had done a track day this year, my tires would be scrubbed in all the way to the edge. I didn’t, so they are not. It doesn’t mean I don’t know how to ride.

It seems that if you disagree with this guy, he feels you need to learn how to ride, get some instruction or whatever, so you are never going to win with him.
I hope we all ride within our comfort zone and have fun.

Yep, as long as there is grip in reserve, I can change my line by standing the bike up while hanging off more, or adding more lean angle, and/or speed up, or slow down. All while on the edge of the tire. You do realize the bike can be on the edge of the tire, through a range of lean angle, right?

The "edge of the tire" does not indicate one rigid lean angle value in degrees...

Again, get some advanced riding instruction, as apparently this is unheard of to you.
It's cool you are not understanding me and that's ok. And again I please request you do not make assumptions on my riding skill. You have not met or ridden with me so you have no idea what training I have had. I am now going to stop getting caught up with pointing out something you and I will never agree to.

This has devolved into an “I’m faster, better, more skilled” than you so I can ride on the edge of my tire on the street and “for someone of my skills” it’s safe.
I call BS on that since I have done many track days and all the instructors, many of whom are club racers who know how to ride fast, hang off, position their bodies on the bike, etc, all taught us that you need to have reserve on the street. Street riding is not a controlled environment like the race track. If I have chicken strips on my tires that is because I am not a squid racing around hanging off the bike on a public road. If I had done a track day this year, my tires would be scrubbed in all the way to the edge. I didn’t, so they are not. It doesn’t mean I don’t know how to ride.

It seems that if you disagree with this guy, he feels you need to learn how to ride, get some instruction or whatever, so you are never going to win with him.
I hope we all ride within our comfort zone and have fun.

Well said Ron. My bad for sure. I have been riding long enough to know better. Riding in our comfort zone is key. I do find it odd that someone would suggest I take a riding school without ever having seen me ride.

The takeaway on this thread for me is not to ever ride to the limits of traction or tread on public highways. Once you hit the track or dirt then having some fun within reason is what it's all about. I will not get to the "chicken strips" on purpose on public highways. In the empty parking lot when doing slow speeds yes for sure.

On a lighter note I pulled off my Anakee Wilds and spooned on a set of Road 5 trails on my big bike. Boy these tires have some grip!! The Wilds were surprisingly good on the pavement but howled really loud. Plus I'm planning some long paved trips. The dual compound is amazing!! When I set my suspension to stiff compression/rebound and that along with my raised dogbone gets my bike to handle really well in the curvy roads.

1897A576-5925-42F6-8183-E4A713923F0A_1_201_a.jpeg
DE11508B-23ED-403D-9C80-5EF0A1091B54.jpeg

This is incorrect. A certain lean angle gets you on the edge of a certain tire with a certain bike. What can change is not the lean angle, but the speed around a given corner. Let’s say you are bolt upright in the saddle and leaned at a certain angle. The bike is on the edge of the tire and the motorcycle is at a certain lean angle going say 25 mph around this hypothetical corner.
Now take the same corner, at the same lean angle , on the edge of the tire but with your body positioned at the extreme inside of the corner, face past the mirror, butt off the seat to the inside. Now that same bike, on the same tires at the same lean angle is going 50 mph around the same corner.

Which is fine, but don’t tell me that you have a safety margin at full lean on the edge of the tire. If suddenly a dead squirrel is on your line, do you really think you can shift your weight over that quickly and change direction smoothly enough to safely change your line and avoid that hazard. Even if you say yes to that, then why not tailgate 2 inches from a cars bumper since your tremendous skills can safely modulate the brakes and safely stop? And yes we did braking drills at many of the track days I have attended. I still keep a reasonable distance around me on the street and keep the edge of the tire in reserve for the same reason.

No, it devolved into someone not understanding or maybe just not comprehanding what I said, because they apparently lack experience, and ignorantly making statements based on that.

I have also club raced, instructed, and have stated in this thread that I leave a reserve on the street.

It has become clear that if he has never pushed a bike enough to experience the tire deforming as lean angle is varied, all while "on the edge of the tire" it will be a foreign concept until it is experienced.

Bottom line: Don't make statements which are not true. If you insist on doing so in ignorance, I will set the record straight.

It's cool you are not understanding me and that's ok. And again I please request you do not make assumptions on my riding skill. You have not met or ridden with me so you have no idea what training I have had. I am now going to stop getting caught up with pointing out something you and I will never agree to.

Well said Ron. My bad for sure. I have been riding long enough to know better. Riding in our comfort zone is key. I do find it odd that someone would suggest I take a riding school without ever having seen me ride.

The takeaway on this thread for me is not to ever ride to the limits of traction or tread on public highways. Once you hit the track or dirt then having some fun within reason is what it's all about. I will not get to the "chicken strips" on purpose on public highways. In the empty parking lot when doing slow speeds yes for sure.

On a lighter note I pulled off my Anakee Wilds and spooned on a set of Road 5 trails on my big bike. Boy these tires have some grip!! The Wilds were surprisingly good on the pavement but howled really loud. Plus I'm planning some long paved trips. The dual compound is amazing!! When I set my suspension to stiff compression/rebound and that along with my raised dogbone gets my bike to handle really well in the curvy roads.

View attachment 37238View attachment 37229
Best of luck with them. I have always liked Michelins. Pilot power on my Duc and pilot road on everything else.

View attachment 37238View attachment 37229
That picture says volumes about where your understanding is. While a fine sport-touring tire, they really lack grip compared to a DOT race tire, or racing slick, AND they have a much stiffer casing construction. You won't experience what I described with that tire.

This is incorrect. A certain lean angle gets you on the edge of a certain tire with a certain bike. What can change is not the lean angle, but the speed around a given corner.
You're also failing to take into account that a tire can deform while "on the edge of the tread" So you can in fact be "on the edge of the tread" and still vary the lean angle as the tire casing is deformed more or less. I recall one instruction session where a bike was filmed going around a corner on track, at varying lean angles and speeds, all while "on the edge of the tread". It was a great visual demonstration for the students.

So again, you can be "on the edge of the tread" at a range of lean angles. You do however need a tire with sufficient grip to do so, of course.

That picture says volumes about where your understanding is. While a fine sport-touring tire, they really lack grip compared to a DOT race tire, or racing slick, AND they have a much stiffer casing construction. You won't experience what I described with that tire.
Street tires on street bikes.... nothing wrong with that.
slicks on the street, better hope it doesn’t rain.

Bottom line: Don't make statements which are not true. If you insist on doing so in ignorance, I will set the record straight.
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Might want to look in a mirror while you say that. just sayin'👍

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Might want to look in a mirror while you say that. just sayin'👍
Dude, it's obvious you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I explain it, and you still can't grasp the concept because obviously you've never done it. So you laugh in your ignorance.

If you care, and put in the effort, you can probably learn. Or not. Either way I hope you enjoy your riding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back