HD Grease

My data is likely old but in times past, the HD wheel bearing grease was produced by Chemtool and was a polyurea thickened product. Chemtool has been owned by Lubrizol for 10 years now so I am not certain they're the current supplier. Sorry.

My data is likely old but in times past, the HD wheel bearing grease was produced by Chemtool and was a polyurea thickened product. Chemtool has been owned by Lubrizol for 10 years now so I am not certain they're the current supplier. Sorry.

Thank you. I may or may not have just created a problem depending upon what may have changed and which chart I consult.

While it's possible that the neck bearings may have been greased once at a regular service interval, it's likely that based upon mileage that the grease in the neck bearings was from assembly at the factory. I use the NAPA (formulated by Valvoline) lithium complex grease for general purpose stuff like this. The neck cavity was pretty much empty judging by the amount of grease I had to pump, and it took a while to get grease coming out around the upper dust cover.

It looks like the polyurea (to some extent) and the shear-stable polyurea are at least moderately compatible with lithium complex, and this is about as low-speed as Timken bearings can get.

Not gonna lose any sleep over this one.

Last edited:
My customers are serviced with MIL-PRF-81322 Grease, Aircraft, General Purpose, Wide Temperature Range
Able to withstand operations at high speeds and a wide temperature range of -54 to 177 Deg. C (-65 to 350 Deg. F).
WTRgrease2.JPG

My customers are serviced with MIL-PRF-81322 Grease, Aircraft, General Purpose, Wide Temperature Range
Able to withstand operations at high speeds and a wide temperature range of -54 to 177 Deg. C (-65 to 350 Deg. F).
View attachment 161886

A very interesting idea.

The commercially available version?

You can buy a grease with known specs for 1/3 the cost of that stuff
I think that is why he was wondering the specs as he added grease to the neck bearing no knowing if its compatible.
Unless you completely clean any part of remaining grease you should know what type of grease is used on the part.

View attachment 161886
Why do you use this grease? It's formulated for use down to -65°F. What is the lowest temperature the typical motorcycle operates at, possibly +30°F? This is 95°F above the lower limit for a Mil-PRF-81322 grease. This characteristic dictates the formula.

These greases are usually just a clay thickened 6 cst PAO with low load carrying characterisitics.

A very interesting idea.

The commercially available version?
I don't know what you mean by "commercially available".... available thru retail outlet? Unless you're looking for something "better", between these pricey greases, I'd just use the HD grease.

It's been years since I ordered from Aircraft Spruce - Aurora spherical bearings:

061105_ride_height_14_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I think that is why he was wondering the specs as he added grease to the neck bearing no knowing if its compatible.
Unless you completely clean any part of remaining grease you should know what type of grease is used on the part.

That is correct.

Back