Timken Grease

I performed a search and could not find a the answer I am looking for.

I’ve been a proponent and user of Allstar Performance Timken wheel bearing grease ALL78241 for decades and my supply is about exhausted.
We know the Chemtool plant fire in 2021 along with issues of supplies of Lithium have stifled the grease industry the past few years. Timkin grease is nowhere to be found these days, and I’m looking to source another brand that is compatible with the Lithium complex Timken grease. It appears that Lucas Red n Tacky may be a candidate that could mix with the Timkin grease.
I know there are other greases that may be better, but Looking for input on the RNT.
The article below mentioned several manufactures have switched from lithium to Calcium. Anyone familiar with these greases and are they compatible with Lithium based greases?

Last edited:
I'd prefer

Mystik JT-6 EP​

over lucas anything. While lucas grease is ok, a company that makes snake oil products such as their oil stabilizer loses all credibility to me.

Mystik JT-6 is widely available.
Mystik Multi-Purpose Grease is our most water resistant and water insoluble product. This product provides excellent anti-seize protection under high loads.
  • Superior multi purposes EP lubricant with outstanding water resistance
  • Metal adhesion and rust corrosion protection
  • Compatible with lithium and lithium complex greases
  • Recommended for farm, industrial and marine applications, where extra water resistance and EP protection is desired
  • Excellent for boat trailer wheel bearings

When I studied Timken greases numerous years ago, nothing stood out as it being better than any other general lithium complex grease. And, it is fairly easy to assume that someone else manufactured it for them. I have a hunch that you are a bit stuck on the name brand associated with once high-quality Timken bearing brand. Yes, they have declined like so many others (Moog, etc.).

I don't see any supply issues for good lithium complex grease. The valvolene mentioned above has average specs. just like most of the others: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd1/e478d776-8357-ea11-9c34-ac162d889bd1 .... The JT 6 mentioned above has always had great specs., with good water resistance and EP rating.

Last edited:
Everywhere I shop that was low on grease last year now has plenty. Just got back from Walmart and they had R&T along with Valvoline crimson and the Supertech branded. Rural king now has R&T, their brand and Mystik JT-6 red and green tube, so chose your brand.

When I studied Timken greases numerous years ago, nothing stood out as it being better than any other general lithium complex grease. And, it is fairly easy to assume that someone else manufactured it for them. I have a hunch that you are a bit stuck on the name brand associated with once high-quality Timken bearing brand. Yes, they have declined like so many others (Moog, etc.).

I don't see any supply issues for good lithium complex grease. The valvolene mentioned above has average specs. just like most of the others: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd1/e478d776-8357-ea11-9c34-ac162d889bd1 .... The JT 6 mentioned above has always had great specs., with good water resistance and EP rating.
Well, I’m not stuck on a name brand, I have been using the grease for many years and about to exhaust the last of my stock, therefore looking for a substitute.
I am curious why Timken grease is so scarce at this time. Did the manufacture go out of business? Was the manufacture affected by high price of Lithium? Perhaps an agreement could not be made between the manufacture and Timken? Like I said I’m curious.
Doesn’t matter, I’ll move on with another brand, just looking for compatibility.

Thanks to all the responded.

Last edited:
try schaeffers #219 al. complex grease this stuff is a very good grease and compatable with lithium grease,,,the #274 is also good,,,,mystic is very good lithium complex grease,,the jt-6,semi synthetic,(blue stuff),

I found a handful of places that seem to still have it in stock. About $8 per tube including shipping if you order at least 10.

Excellent. Mind sharing the source?
[email protected]
I ran a few of these into the shopping cart and they seem to be in stock. You need to verify availability yourself. If these sites have not updated, then you are correct, it is unobtanium.

https://www.heintzbrothers.com/item...ase-14oz?category=176386&price=50&brand=26047 (claim 2 in stock)

I ran a few of these into the shopping cart and they seem to be in stock. You need to verify availability yourself. If these sites have not updated, then you are correct, it is unobtanium.

https://www.heintzbrothers.com/item...ase-14oz?category=176386&price=50&brand=26047 (claim 2 in stock)
Thank you.
‘I placed an order with a1Racing and it took. We’ll see how they respond.
Thank you for your time and assistance. These sites didn’t show when I searched. 👍

Update, received an email item on B/O. Thanks again.

try schaeffers #219 al. complex grease this stuff is a very good grease and compatable with lithium grease,,,the #274 is also good,,,,mystic is very good lithium complex grease,,the jt-6,semi synthetic,(blue stuff),
People talk about compatibility of thickeners as though it was the only consideration. This is not true. At issue are also base fluid and additive compatibility resulting in reduction or loss of function. I have tested many greases containing what were supposed to be compatible thickeners, even the same thickeners, only to have compatibility issues on the additive level. Reduction or loss of additive functions can results in corrosion, rust, and loss of wear protection and load-carrying.

My advice, before you change grease, test according to ASTM D6185 or better yet, according to the compatibility test protocol used at MRG Labs in York, PA or clean and relubricate or purge components with frequent relubrication intervals..

Uh…

I know alot about this subject. I can’t put it out online. But I would recommend Mystik JT6.

If you want to know more, DM me. I can’t put the info publicly.

Back