Bikers don't judge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in South Florida, the only corners we have are at the traffic lights, which are jammed with traffic. Chicken strips remain untouched...

The difference between a 180/55 and a 190/50 is profile and
diameter... the 180 is bigger in diameter and sharper in profile...
the change in geometry is as follows... going from a 190 to a 180
means rake is steepen and trail is shorten which lowers the steering
effort... whereas going from a 180 to a 190 means rake is extended and
trail is added which adds to the steering effort...

190/50/17=24.480 621mm

180/55/17=24.795 629mm

gallery_3131_51_11748.jpg
We try not to get too technical, a lot of what track or racers might do are influenced by others that offer some insight or offer to tutor others when they see they are having some difficulties that they themselves have already experienced in the past. One of my better friends placed 4th overall for the year on the AMA circuit in 250gp class just before they abolished it. Many other friends are Professional racing "paid" tutors that book individual student for a day, a practice day not race.

Often times, on all my bikes before I retired, All have had the Forks Dropped on the triple clamps from .250 to .600. So, rake, trail, don't matter. What the chassis & tires feel like to you is what matters. Seat of the pants.

Hmm, let me explain it to you like this for the rear tire part of getting the bike to flop over onto its side.

The shape of an egg has a larger wider oval on one end, and a tighter oval on the other end.

190/50 - Larger, more of the wider oval end of the egg.
180/55 - Smaller? It has more of the tighter oval end of the egg.

180/55 - The 180/55 has a higher profile and noticeably "Falls off the top of the tire" and onto the side much faster, where I feel the 180/55 gives up nothing to the 190/50. But this type set up ain't gonna be too cool for 97% of the clientele. Drop the triple clamps to feel and you have a bike that wants to turn in.

Last edited:
Really? Don't judge folks by those chicken strips. I used to scrub the sidewalls on weekends successfully club racing the same bike I rode to work on Monday. That was 45 years ago. These days I ride with a bit more caution, particularly on the street.
Bob Racing 10 (1).JPG

The only place you can use up all the tread is track or parking lots. There are no public roads in North America where you can get to the chicken strips safely. Running 10 10ths on the chicken strips on the street is a good way to kill yourself.

The only place you can use up all the tread is track or parking lots. There are no public roads in North America where you can get to the chicken strips safely. Running 10 10ths on the chicken strips on the street is a good way to kill yourself.
Lots or tight curvy back roads in my area. When you can scrape foot pegs and fairing lowers on the pavement on some of these back roads, there will be no chicken strips left. :oops:

So much of this thread just seems like gate keeping.

If you're having fun doing what you do and the other guy is having fun doing what he does then who cares?

The one upmanship is boorish.

I can run numerous canyon roads, use all of the tread, and not even exceed the speed limit. Certainly nowhere near a 10/10ths pace...

So much of this thread just seems like gate keeping.

If you're having fun doing what you do and the other guy is having fun doing what he does then who cares?

The one upmanship is boorish.

It was just a joke. Some can't handle that I guess.

If you are at maximum lean on a public road and there is an unexpected roadkill right on your chosen line, can you adjust your line safely?
I have encountered everything from dead squirrels to abandoned tires on my line in a corner. At street speeds, I just adjust and go inside or outside of the obstacle. Not a big deal.

Track days are perfect for getting on the edge of the tire and learning the limits of your bike and improve your skills.

Yes, I have about an inch of smooth tread on either side of my tires, because I have not done any track days since I got the new tires last year. When I get to another track day, I’ll take care of that. Judge me if you want.

We all manage risk when we ride a motorcycle in not only how we ride, but where we ride, and what we wear when we go out on the motorcycle. Let’s not talk about helmets.....

If you are at maximum lean on a public road and there is an unexpected roadkill right on your chosen line, can you adjust your line safely?
Good rules to follow out on the perverted traffic is First you
anticipate roadkill so its not unexpected... Second you identify
the threat... Third you maneuver to avoid the hazard...

Since 1979 I've low sided two times unexpectedly...

1980 Japan... a Japanese road crew had covered both lanes of the Okatama Toll Road with automotive antifreeze... (no joke) they were on a
very misguided mission to keep the surface from freezing... ( I sued for 10 million yen)

2013 Highway 36 Northern California... I failed to notice a
patch of black sand on the asphalt... boy was my face red!!!

MrRC45NevadaRoad10.JPG

H36CrashPerspective.JPG

H36CrashFrontRennsport.JPG

H36CrashRearRennsport.JPG

Depends. Are you at the limit of traction and skill level too? On the street, I'm not. Because as you pointed out there are too many variables to (sanely) push a 10/10ths pace. Tires can provide a lot more grip than lots of riders realize. The key is applying and taking away load on the tire smoothly. No sudden shock loads, be smoooooth on the controls. Unless you're looking to so some asphalt surfing.

There's far more detail to it than that, but for a reply at 1:00 am, it will have to do.

Bottom line, you can be on the edge of the tire, and change your line, etc., as long as there is still reserve grip available.

My advice to any rider is to get as much training as possible. My passion has always been motorcycles. So I continually try and improve. Have taught MSF riding classes and helped teach advanced roadracing classes. And raced. Both dirt and roadracing.

Even the best riders in MotoGP are always learning.

Need Hhhheat cycles with some scrub speed to get all the lovely mold release removed, but you do it however you wish.
they were so slick, I felt better removing it so there were so surprises. Then I rode some gravvel. Even then, water would bead on the tread for about 300 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back