Best oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems add packs and base oils are getting very similar these days vs being vastly different from just a few years ago. A best oil comparison today will probably not be as imperative as it was maybe back when BOTIG first went online.

I thought there was agreement in 2003 or so these kind of threads would not be allowed on BITOG (?) It's pointless without the specificity necessary (many mentioned already in this very thread).

We could make it a more armchair discussion, IE "What do you think the best formulated SN+/SP GF-5/G-6 Oil is?". I'm sure everyone has an opinion that's light of facts and heavy on intuition.

These oils are so complex that you´d almost have to narrow it down to one category even to have a clue. I just pick the qualities I think are most important for my application and then purchase what I think is best for the money. So for example, I have liked M1 AP 0w20 for my Jeep. I like the combination of high flash point, low pour point, high percentage of PAO, and being on the high end of kinematic viscosity at 212 degrees (8.7) for a 0w20. BUT, I found Shell RGT 0w20 on clearance and with a rebate, combined with rewards at AA, so I got paid 10 bucks for a jug of 0w20, so that´s what is in there right now. I also ran one run of PUP 0w20. I can´t remember why, but the M1 EP, AP, and PUP have all turned in good UOAs. I´m sure RGT will do the same.

Hope that makes sense. You really do have to answer the question for yourself and base it upon what you think are the most important criteria for you. The good news is that with a reputable SAE certified oil that is in spec for your application, you really can´t make a bad decision.

These oils are so complex that you´d almost have to narrow it down to one category even to have a clue. I just pick the qualities I think are most important for my application and then purchase what I think is best for the money. So for example, I have liked M1 AP 0w20 for my Jeep. I like the combination of high flash point, low pour point, high percentage of PAO, and being on the high end of kinematic viscosity at 212 degrees (8.7) for a 0w20. BUT, I found Shell RGT 0w20 on clearance and with a rebate, combined with rewards at AA, so I got paid 10 bucks for a jug of 0w20, so that´s what is in there right now. I also ran one run of PUP 0w20. I can´t remember why, but the M1 EP, AP, and PUP have all turned in good UOAs. I´m sure RGT will do the same.

Hope that makes sense. You really do have to answer the question for yourself and base it upon what you think are the most important criteria for you. The good news is that with a reputable SAE certified oil that is in spec for your application, you really can´t make a bad decision.

Yes because the truth is the are all so close there really isn't $3 difference in a Jug in my opinion. The only real difference is some Companies bottom line.

Yes because the truth is the are all so close there really isn't $3 difference in a Jug in my opinion. The only real difference is some Companies bottom line.

I think you are right. I just get into the minutia of it because it is interesting. It is like a hobby. Probably better than blowing money on smoking or drinking, I guess. Lol, or maybe not.

In my vehicles right now is a hodgepodge of oils I like....

99 Mercedes E430, M1 Euro 0w40
04 Jeep GC, PUP 5w30
08 Jeep JK, RGT 5w20 with 1.25 quarts QSUD 10w30 make-up oil. (It drinks alot.)
15 Transit Ecoboost, Mobil 1EP 5w30 (10k OCIs on this one, all M1 EP)
17 Renegade 2.4, Havoline Pro DS 0w20
18 Jeep JL 3.6, RGT 0w20

All Fram Ultras except with a Fram TG on the 04 Jeep GC and an M1 in the 18 Jeep JL. I picked up about 12 or so M1 filters on clearance for 3 to 4 bucks each, so they´ll be in there awhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Easy. One of his applications is a 1971 Ford Pinto. The best oil in that case is the one that get you out of the way when someone is barreling down on you from behind.

Motor oils have changed and improved greatly since the early 70’s.
Mine had the factory recall. The Pinto fires were blown way out of proportion like the Corvair roll overs.

I thought there was agreement in 2003 or so these kind of threads would not be allowed on BITOG (?) It's pointless without the specificity necessary (many mentioned already in this very thread).

2003? You have a good memory!
I think some members maybe younger than that or act like it. lol

Reminds me "what's the best tune?" threads on the VW forums or FB pages.

There used to be a sticky at the top of the page addressing "best oil" topics if memory serves.

Odd. I do the same thing.

Agreement on BiTOG? Excuse me while I step outside to check for an asteroid. Obviously the sky is falling.

What do you guys think and tested as the best brand of full synthetic oil for gasoline engines, or how would you rank them?
Valvoline, pennzoil ultra platinum, mobil one, castrol, supertech, Quaker state, etc

Take a look at actual test results under a variety of conditions then judge for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back