Best oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i know this has been beaten to death probably but i want to start fresh, what do you guys think and tested as the best brand of full synthetic oil for gasoline engines, or how would you rank them?
Valvoline, pennzoil ultra platinum, mobil one, castrol, supertech, Quaker state, etc

So i know this has been beaten to death probably but i want to start fresh, what do you guys think and tested as the best brand of full synthetic oil for gasoline engines, or how would you rank them?
Valvoline, pennzoil ultra platinum, mobil one, castrol, supertech, Quaker state, etc

This has definitely not only been beaten to death but was also ran over and reversed on death 😆, but on a serious note it doesnt truly matter which brand since they all do the job well just stick with the specs your engine needs and you will be fine. Now depending on what your going to do thats a different story such as extended drains or racing then you need a more specific oil.
The only big difference between those oils you stated is that pennzoil is a GTL oil and the rest are not I believe, there have been previous posts on this forum regarding the differences between them so you can decide what you want after that.
Just stick with a proper oil change interval and the correct spec oil and you will be fine.

How do you expect new insights from the fresh approach? BITOG already is so much about just dropping, pushing and dragging the dozen names in the US while also comparing bottles, odours and indices.
Will you add criteria? Dead ends of personal research to review? Initiate THE POLL that saves reading forums?

Cost no object or cost considered? Most on this board will steer you to whatever is most cost effective while providing the minimum specifications of approvals/licensing. Others will steer you to more expensive options being of the opinion that these options may provide some measure of superiority over the low cost approach. Which specific engine are you talking about and how will you be using it?

Maybe if you asked peoples preferred brand you may get answers and that is what most would consider best for them.
Me I jump around a lot with brands. I dont care much for valvoline or penzoil.
I prefer mobil 1 or Castrol depending on the car it's going in. Daughter BMW gets Castrol 0w-40. I am taking a liking to Gas truck so far in my other daughters truck.

Not to sound snarky but does anyone believe there's an individual or organization anywhere in the world that has the ability to unequivocally declare one particular brand as the "best"? Or rank then is some kind of order?

Its

Sunday, smokem if you got'em......................................Oh give me a home ,where the Buffalo roam .....da da da da da da...

There is no best oil.
This.

There are different tiers of synthetic oil
  • Boutique - Redline, Amsoil, Schaeffer
  • Top Shelf - Mobil 1 AP/EP, Pennzoil Platinum Ultra, Castro Edge EP
  • High end - Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge
  • Standard - Quaker State, Mag 1, Kendall, Mobil Super Syn (or whatever it is called now) Most OEM branded oils
  • Budget - Store brand oils

This is not an all inclusive list for each category, just a few examples and is just my opinion.
For the most part, nothing wrong with any of these oils, and for most you could run a budget synthetic and notice no difference in the engine life vs using a boutique oil.
Do you get more with the more expensive oils, sure.
Is it worth it? Only you can decide.

IMO, since API SN, as long as you change the oil on a regular basis (and that basis does depend on the vehicle) using a semi decent filter, you will not have an oil related issue with your vehicle.
Not saying some vehicles will not require a more detailed look at what to use, but for most this will apply.

For me, the "best" oil is the cheapest one that meets the spec for the vehicle it goes in.
Look at my sig, I use a variety of oils, all of which were purchased based on the sale/clearance/rebate price (as long as it was an oil viscosity I can use). Brand played no part in it.

The "best" oil will vary depending on many factors, including cost, vehicle, how vehicle is used, location, desired oil change interval, and several other factors, and even with all those addressed, there may be several "best" oils for you.

Last edited:
For a street car? No best. Some have better viscosity retention, some clean better, some last longer, some have a little better film strength. Of course without testing of specific attributes you are left to rely on marketing claims.

As a complete package with API and ILSAC certifications that's readily available you would likely be hard pressed to beat Mobil 1 Annual Protection for a complete oil. However people were not willing to pay for it so it's being discontinued.

Note I didn't claim it's better. I said you would be hard pressed to beat it.

For my particular application I like Castrol Edge. Not even EP. I have reasons for that. Doesn't mean I think it's "Better" than M1 AP.

You really need to list your particular application, usage, expected drain interval and what attributes you most value for someone to be even close on a recommendation.

Last edited:
Easy. One of his applications is a 1971 Ford Pinto. The best oil in that case is the one that get you out of the way when someone is barreling down on you from behind.

Motor oils have changed and improved greatly since the early 70’s.

Easy. One of his applications is a 1971 Ford Pinto. The best oil in that case is the one that get you out of the way when someone is barreling down on you from behind.

Motor oils have changed and improved greatly since the early 70’s.

I had one of those. The 306 ci SBF with ported '69 351W heads, C4, 3200 Stall and 3.90 Geared 9" did just fine getting out of the way.

I used 10W-30 Valvoline but it's unlikely he has the same engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back