Which is the better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know the leading synthetic oils are Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, and Pennzoil Platinum. Let's forget about those for now. How would you guys rank these synthetics:
Valvoline Synpower
Castrol Syntec
Quaker State Advanced Engine
Quaker State Torque Power
Super Tech Synthetic
Havoline Synthetic

In any random order you choose.

With Mobil 1 starting to release GPIII and Pennzoil being GPIII you might as well throw them on bottom list too.

Alphabetically, but that's just me:

1) Castrol Syntec
2) Havoline Synthetic
3) Quaker State Advanced Engine
4) Quaker State Torque Power
5) Super Tech Synthetic
6) Valvoline Synpower

It depends completely on the application and what you are trying to accomplish.

th_14333_buttface_122_401lo.jpg

That is all.

Quote:

In any random order you choose.

With Mobil 1 starting to release GPIII and Pennzoil being GPIII you might as well throw them on bottom list too.

Since when is Mobil 1 "starting to release GPIII" ?

To answer the original question I would say that they are all decent oils but that some versions of each brand are better than others. For instance many people feel that Valvoline Synpower 5w40 is a PAO and is an excellent oil.
Many also feel that Syntec 10w40 and 5w50 are excellent.
In the 5w30 and 10w30 varieties it would be hard to tell
without UOA's.

Syntec 5W50 is a good oil and of course Syntec 0W30. You don't mention Maxlife Synth. It's pretty good as well. It's a tad too early to say anything about those QS oils. There's not much experience with them to rank them high on the list.

Tom isn't some fly by niter. He's pretty well respected and was there at the beginning of mass market synths

Quote:

We all know the leading synthetic oils are Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, and Pennzoil Platinum. Let's forget about those for now. How would you guys rank these synthetics:
Valvoline Synpower
Castrol Syntec
Quaker State Advanced Engine
Quaker State Torque Power
Super Tech Synthetic
Havoline Synthetic

Yep... you missed the two that I feel are better than what's on your list.....

Castrol German Syntec 0w-30 (sold at Auto Zone only)

Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic

Mine would be:

Havoline Synthetic
Castrol Syntec
Valvoline Synpower
QS Torque Power
QS Advanced Engine
Supertech Syn

Just because Havoline conventional has been a top-notch oil, I'm letting their synthetic ride on the repuation. Castrol has been in the Grp III market for ages and ages, certainly they must have it down by now. UOA's show this to be a very good oil. Next with Valvoline, it's been around for a while, and their 5w-40 is great stuff. Quaker State was merely a follower as was supertech and jumped into the synthetic market when it was easy to do so (Grp III was made standard).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back