The Extended Protection (Performance) Revolution

I have noticed in the Walmart aisle...

Quaker State Ultimate Protection
Castrol Edge Extended Performance
Valvoline Extended Protection
Mobil 1 Extended Performance

What is going on? I dont see an answer from SuperTech, Motorcraft or Pennzoil yet to these dreadknought oils.

Last edited:

Castrol Edge Extended Protection
Mobil 1 Extended Protection

What is going on? I dont see an answer from SuperTech, Motorcraft or Pennzoil yet to these dreadknought oils.
These oils are called Extended Performance.

Ultimate Protection
Ultimate Extended Protection
Super Extended Protection
Longest Extended Protection

What is going on?

Advertising Adjective Creep (AAC) happens all the time. Watch for it to show up in all kinds of products. Would work excellent for selling these
amazon condoms.jpg

Last edited:
Super Tech does have a 20,000 mile oil, I believe. But yeah, seems like most have an extended drain oil now. Which is “best”, and what is the difference between an extended oil and the regular offerings from these brands now? No one really knows.

(Edited/Corrected the title and product names)

Im just wondering if this is just another reboot. Will I get better performance over Valvoline Advanced using their new "extended" product. Valvoline on their website goes into detail about this new found technology.

You forgot the one that started it all, Amsoil Signature Series, rated for 25k miles.

If I recall correctly, Mobil was the first to join Amsoil, in offering an extended performance motor oil. The BITOG gang had a heyday with criticizing the M1 Annual Protection offering. Apparently, no one at Pennzoil, Quaker, Castrol, or Valvoline paid us any attention. :giggle::eek::rolleyes:

I laugh at this… literally every single product in my store is premium, professional grade, ultimate, heavy duty, etc. None of those words have any actual value. Just make you feel good about your purchase. Same thing with extended… extended when compared to what? Olive oil? Used fry oil?

Castrol Edge Extended Performance
Mobil 1 Extended Performance

They want to get the attention of non Bitogers, which is like 99.99% of the Population!

Super Tech does have a 20,000 mile oil, I believe. But yeah, seems like most have an extended drain oil now. Which is “best”, and what is the difference between an extended oil and the regular offerings from these brands now? No one really knows.
I don't recommend going anywhere near 20k but people have done 20k intervals on Mobil 1 and they didn't seem to have any issues from it, one of them being ETCG on a Honda Odyssey.

When you look at the VOA's of these oils they are fairly close to their regular full synthetic options, so I think the main difference between them has to be something with the base stocks or something that does not show up on VOA's.

I laugh at this… literally every single product in my store is premium, professional grade, ultimate, heavy duty, etc. None of those words have any actual value. Just make you feel good about your purchase. Same thing with extended… extended when compared to what? Olive oil? Used fry oil?
Olive oil certainly would certainly be the better choice over typical fry oils like canola/vegetable, it might extend your life.

Motorcraft would be sued if they marketed a 20K mile oil and denied Joe Dumb warranty work for wiping cams with 18K on the oil.
They can’t even make it that long. Isn’t that Godzilla thing eating cams in the first 5k?

Remember when we had oils for specific vehicles and driving styles?

20000 miles...maybe in a port injected Toyota 4 cylinder but what about a direct injected engine which is notorious for being hard on oil? When I drain oil out of my 440 horsepower EcoBeast its jet black and thin as if water got in there. No way Im taking it to 20000 miles.

Back