Best oil for a NEW 2010 Toyota Corolla!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: webfors
I just had to start one of the 'what's the best oil threads' since we just got a new car!! 2010 Corolla LE.

Looks like my wife was tired of sharing one car for a family of 4, so we went the sensible route and purchased a made in canada corolla loaded with features at a great price. And I even confirmed if was a unit manufactured after February 2010 when they made a bunch of models without the smart-key-push-button system. I assume they did this because of the bad press last year.

I'll probably use up the 5w30 stash I have here and then start on Toyota's 0w20.

This world of 20 weights is new to me. So be nice if I sound a little 'thick'
grin2.gif

Any suggestions on break in treatment? Drive her hard, soft, change oil early, don't... etc. Let's hear the opinions
19.gif

Good luck with your new ride. I would change the factory fill at about 1000 miles, use a good 5W20 dino oil like PYB run that for another 2000 miles. Then make the switch to a 0W20 oil. Toyota 0W20 if you can get a good price or Castrol Edge 0W20 would be my choices. I would not use the 5W30 in that engine, because it calls for a 20 grade oil. I know the 5W30 won't harm the engine, but I would stick to what Toyota suggests and call it a day.

Drive it easy for the first 500 miles mixing up the speed, giving it a good kick in the [censored] once in a while after the engine is good and hot. Odds are the lot boy broke her in already! JMO

I like the idea of changing the FF early. Are there any concerns with respect to keeping break-in oil in for the full OCI (i.e. Honda's moly loaded FF)? Or is changing it out early just fine on a yota?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Toyota is in the process of "converting" many cars in its line to 10k mile OCIs, using 0w-20. I don't know if the Corolla is in that category or not. I'm sure you'll be checking on that. If it applies, that would offer some added flex, and make the use of synthetic (well, any oil for that matter) more economical.

Agreed. If Toyota calls for extended (from their default 5k mile) oci's I'll follow it with a good syn. However, I suspect there will be no change for Canadian owners. We typically have much more conservative OCIs north of the border.

Feed your corolla with any good synt API SM rated and you'll be fine.Since ive joined BITOG i comprehended that there is NO BEST OIL.Keep your OCI's at 5k and your engine will outlast you.Ive used Amsoil,M1,PP most of my 100k miles we're Amsoil ,now im experimenting with PP and pulled my valve cover and nothing but SWEETNESS
20.gif
.So yeah keep your OCI at 5k with any good synth API SM feel good
25.gif

Definitely do not go with 5w30 for that new Corolla, just stick with Toyota's 0w20 synthetic. It's not expensive at all (under $6 a liter up here) and once the engine is broken in you could probably do 15,000 km intervals with it. (check it via UOAs of course)

As far as the first oil change, I'd probably do that around the 5000km mark if it were mine.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

During the 6 month interval I've put as little as 200 miles on my RAV4 but must go dump the oil to maintain warranty. Quite expensive were I using synthetic. It's wasteful with either but little choice due to warranty requirements.

I'm almost in the same boat as you with a vehicle I have under warranty. I ran about 2000 miles in 6 months, under near perfect driving conditions. I will buy oil and a filter, stick it in my stash, and mark my log as the oil was changed at 6 months, then run it another 6 months and change in December. I seriously doubt I'll have any problems in the rare event of an oil related issue. If I were you I'd consider doing the same instead of wasting good oil. Consider that or drain the oil into a clean container screen it and use it in a beater, or give it to someone who drives an oil burner/leaker. JMO

If I still did my own oil changes I would consider that but it's not worth it for me to crawl under cars anymore. I've done that for over four decades and I'm sick of it.....the dealer changes the oil every six months and keeps track of it.

During the 6 month interval I've put as little as 200 miles on my RAV4 but must go dump the oil to maintain warranty. Quite expensive were I using synthetic. It's wasteful with either but little choice due to warranty requirements.

I'm almost in the same boat as you with a vehicle I have under warranty. I ran about 2000 miles in 6 months, under near perfect driving conditions. I will buy oil and a filter, stick it in my stash, and mark my log as the oil was changed at 6 months, then run it another 6 months and change in December. I seriously doubt I'll have any problems in the rare event of an oil related issue. If I were you I'd consider doing the same instead of wasting good oil. Consider that or drain the oil into a clean container screen it and use it in a beater, or give it to someone who drives an oil burner/leaker. JMO

If I still did my own oil changes I would consider that but it's not worth it for me to crawl under cars anymore. I've done that for over four decades and I'm sick of it.....the dealer changes the oil every six months and keeps track of it.

I hear ya, I've been crawling under them for close to 4 decades myself, but had more bad experiences with dealers to trust them for even the easiest of jobs. That and the hard upsell when a car goes into the dealership is what motivates me to continue to crawl under my vehicles. Maybe once I hit the 4 decade mark I'll see things differently! :)

Pic of the new ride:

2010_05_25%20258%20%28Small%29.jpg

Drives just great. Spent the evening getting to know it and configuring the radio and bluetooth for my wife. I averaged 5.8 L/100KM last night over 100 KM of country driving. That's pretty darn good
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Alex38
Go ahead and use up your 5w30. I have a 2009 Corolla S with the same engine, and there is a section of the owners manual says that 0/5w20 is recommended, but heavier weight oils may be used under higher-stress driving situations such as extended high-speed driving. I don't have the manual handy, but here is a good read for your car.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1336152&page=3

Good reading! Looks like 5w30 is just fine, especially when you see the broad range of weights recommended overseas. No reason to go with a 20 weight when a 30 weight will work just as well, and I have lots of it
grin2.gif

Pic of the new ride:

Drives just great. Spent the evening getting to know it and configuring the radio and bluetooth for my wife. I averaged 5.8 L/100KM last night over 100 KM of country driving. That's pretty darn good
20.gif

What the he!! is a km?
34.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
5.8 L/100KM is about 41 MPG

Which is about 50 miles per Canadian gallon. Confused yet?!
grin2.gif

You must be watchin' the Stanley Cup?
23.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
5.8 L/100KM is about 41 MPG

Which is about 50 miles per Canadian gallon. Confused yet?!
grin2.gif

Neither of my teams made it, but I am indeed tuning in periodically. It's a good series with solid physical element!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back