New 2023 Corolla and 0W-8 oil

Don't you do like delivery driving or something? I'd be curious to see what your average speed is (and how many engine hours you have). A Crown Vic getting pounded as a cruiser or a cab in NYC for 10 years to get to 200,000 miles is considerably different in terms of wear & tear than an owner/operator courier or delivery vehicle that's putting on 100,000 miles per year.

@Shannow's point was, and is, that as long as the vehicle makes it to the scrap heap by some other means, then the oil did its job. If the has more wear than an engine that was run on a heavier oil, does that really matter at that point? The thinner oil saved the owner some fuel and the manufacturer some emissions or economy credits.

We've seen posts about Toyota engines burning oil, people blaming the low tension rings, or the long intervals. Viscosity choice is another piece of that puzzle. I'm sure in the majority of situations, all three of those things work fine together and the RAV-4 makes it to the wreckers because Jimmy hits a tree or the trans drops out of it, or some uninsured yahoo plows into it at 150,000 miles and it's a goner.

BUT, none of that changes the validity of what Shannow posted.
I am doing closer to 85% highway miles these days.
Typical speed on the highway is 75 mph.
Much thanks to OVERKILL and Shannon for all the info on BITOG.

Screenshot_20230921_005918_eBay.jpg

I am sure that this is a fine product, but it is outrageously expensive. Even moreso, considering that it is going into also excellent, but pedestrian products like the Toyota Corolla. At this price, I'd substitute for brand 0W20, which I can get for one sixth of this price, excluding shipping, which makes in more like one eighth. This shifts the debate from "thick vs. thin" to "bourgeois vs. proletariat."

I am sure that this is a fine product, but it is outrageously expensive. Even moreso, considering that it is going into also excellent, but pedestrian products like the Toyota Corolla. At this price, I'd substitute for brand 0W20, which I can get for one sixth of this price, excluding shipping, which makes in more like one eighth. This shifts the debate from "thick vs. thin" to "bourgeois vs. proletariat."
Yes this is a get you back to the Stealership oil!

Toyota has always been about reduced friction and efficiency enhancements. My '05 Rav4 engine spins nice and smoother than late model Hyundai's.
The 4 speed auto may seem outdated, but the operation and choice of ratios all worked very well together. Quality over quantity.

Case in point, I'd follow what Toyota recommends.

Last edited:
Japan has been using 0w-8 for almost 10 years now - - there is no CAFE there......or anything like it!
There most certainly is and they've been in place for a long time. Very restrictive. And although it is named something different, if you read the requirements guess what? It's described as "corporate average fuel economy".

People keep trying to make this about something, anything, other than fuel economy but it just isn't there.

Last edited:
I know that I am not in contention here, but just bought multiple 5 qt Quaker State full syn @ $22.97 and a bunch of Ecogard filters for $2.75 each. That's a total of $25.72 for an oil change.

There most certainly is and they've been in place for a long time. Very restrictive. And although it is named something different, if you read the requirements guess what? It's described as "corporate average fuel economy".

People keep trying to make this about something, anything, other than fuel economy but it just isn't there.
Something else that isn't there is a recorded incident of someone experiencing engine damage from using the factory recommended "thin" oil.

Japan has been using 0w-8 for almost 10 years now - - there is no CAFE there......or anything like it!
LOL I've lived in Japan and you have to understand something their maximum speed limit at least while I was there was 38 MPH. They have designed their whole car business model to agree with our laws and marketing. Its made them a ton of money.

I know that I am not in contention here, but just bought multiple 5 qt Quaker State full syn @ $22.97 and a bunch of Ecogard filters for $2.75 each. That's a total of $25.72 for an oil change.
This thread-topic is about 0w8.
Quaker State has an 0w8 motor oil on store shelves (or) online?

So I just bought a gas 2023 Corolla with the 2.0 as a commuter. Toyota calls for 0W-8 oil for this. I’m fairly certain they made a change within the last month or so from 0W-16. I do my own oil changes and sourcing OW-8 seems about impossible. The manual does say you can use 0W-16 but it must be changed to 0W-8 at the next change. My wife has a camry that calls for 0W-16 and I would like to use the same oil in both. I’m aware of the car care nuts videos stating that these dynsmic farce engines need the oil grades Toyota calls for, and I believe there are threads here disparaging his claims.

I’m all about giving my vehicles the best protection. Does the Corolla really need this pathetic water oil, or is it just for CAFE standards and to get .1 better MPG? I doubt they would have made a mechanical change mid-year that would necessitate the lighter grade, or would they? Should I go even heavier for both vehicles at 0W-20? At least then I’d have way more options.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Personally I would run use 0/40 as I do in everything. Run thin oils like that, come 100k miles you’ll have a nice oil burner. That thin of an oil sure doesn’t offer much of an oil film under those hot pistons. Thin oil is all about CAFE. I have a friend with a 2016 Prius with 120k miles it burns oil 1qt every 3k miles. He’s always had it serviced at Toyota.

This is bad advice overall though it will work, the only proper oil is what the manual calls for…. If it specified a 0w-8 then use that. I agree if it says 0w-16 can be used that’s fine, but when you get to xW-20 that’s not specified and quite different than 0w-8
You do realize what the manual says in regards to engine oil, it’s only a recommend viscosity. Pretty much any climate in the lower 48 states the engine would turn over just fine with a 0 5 or 10 winter weight. I’m more concerned about the upper number and having a thicker film of oil on the cylinder walls.

My son’s RAV 4 manual says Toyota won’t deny a warranty claim for lack of documentation, only for lack of maintenance. So an owner wouldn’t have to present oil purchase receipts showing an oil grade and a dealer would have no reasonable way to determine if an 8 or 16 was used. I suppose if Big Toyota was interested it could take a sample but that seems really unlikely.
I’ve never seen a lost engine bc of viscosity. More bc the owner didn’t check the oil and the crank case was empty. If you had a 4 qt sump and it was down 2qts, do you think it would blow up if you put 2 qts of 20-50? NO.

Back