Oil change interval for 2019 and 2021 Toyotas

Both my 19 and 21 Toyotas were bought new so they had the Toyota recommended oil changes at 10K 'at the dealer. Since I am now on my own I am curious if a 10K interval is just fine for everyday driving or going to 5K or 7.5K for oil and filter is better?

n shown times and times again that 10k OCI's in these toyotas end up with coked rings
I imagine it depends on the Toyota. A Prius is likely going to be different from a Supra regarding its oil demands.

As I'm on several other Toyota vehicle forums and never heard of coked rings. Wasnt this on some legacy vehicles? Not a 2019 or 2021?

I imagine it depends on the Toyota. A Prius is likely going to be different from a Supra regarding its oil demands.

As I'm on several other Toyota vehicle forums and never heard of coked rings. Wasnt this on some legacy vehicles? Not a 2019 or 2021?
after researching some more it seems you are correct. i was remembering wrong.

Prius:

img_2663-jpg.194311

I have done our 2019 Rav4 with the new Dynamic Force Engine every 6 months, which has never been more than 5K. Sometimes the dealer does it for free, and sometimes they don't and I do it. It goes to the dealer again in a couple weeks, and unless there are some warranty issues between now and summer when it expires, it will likely never go to the dealer again.

And the obligatory post .

I like how in this video he says “no oil analysis is going to show you this” as he points to the seized piston rings. Other cars are known to go 10K OCI without any oil burning issues at high mileage - for instance the venerable Duratec 2.5L. Was this really a problem with the Toyota piston ring design, or the oil?

I like how in this video he says “no oil analysis is going to show you this” as he points to the seized piston rings. Other cars are known to go 10K OCI without any oil burning issues at high mileage - for instance the venerable Duratec 2.5L. Was this really a problem with the Toyota piston ring design, or the oil?
IIRC, problem was due to piston oil return holes bottom of the oil ring clogging. Perhaps too small, infrequent oil changes or combo of this.

Back