2018 Toyota Corolla Oil Change Interval?

Hello

My mom has a 2018 Toyota Corolla, she bought it from Hertz rental cars sales division in 2020.

She is a senior and only drives a couple of times a week, usually about a mile each way to and from the super market and about the same to go to church. Every other week she might drive it 10-20 miles on the freeway.

I last changed the oil in April of 2022 with full synthetic, I checked it this past weekend and it is very clean and at the correct level.

With such low mileage how often should I change the oil?

Thanks

Fill ch
Hello

My mom has a 2018 Toyota Corolla, she bought it from Hertz rental cars sales division in 2020.

She is a senior and only drives a couple of times a week, usually about a mile each way to and from the super market and about the same to go to church. Every other week she might drive it 10-20 miles on the freeway.

I last changed the oil in April of 2022 with full synthetic, I checked it this past weekend and it is very clean and at the correct level.

Thanks
Fill cheap conventional that meets the requirements once a year

Hello

Thanks
It depends. If you insist on the 10,000 mile OCI, then it's 6 months or 10k, whichever comes first.

or 6 months or 5k, whichever comes first.

It's a Toyota 4 cyl. With that little driving, the car will last forever regardless of whether you change the oil at 6, 12, or 18 mo. intervals. Unless, of course, she lives in an area where salt is applied to the roads in winter; in that case the car will rust out long before the engine is spent.

Hello

Thanks
I tend towards once a year, on lightly driven cars. ( My wife is maybe a 4000 mile a year gal, car sits far more than it is driven)
so do it on Mom's birthday or some easily remembered interval and other wise don't worry about it

0w20 then fine, there are syn blends
Which wouldn’t be a cheap conventional, then. Look, the guy is in California. Mild climate. Run the oil longer. It’s not getting excess condensation, or extreme temps, like much of the country.

What does the olm say.

The 2018 has d4s and it can cause fuel dilution. I'd use whatever cheap 5w-20 and dump it in a year. It's being short tripped a lot. 20 miles on the freeway isn't enough to heat the oil up. Don't think it needs anything thicker.

Which wouldn’t be a cheap conventional, then. Look, the guy is in California. Mild climate. Run the oil longer. It’s not getting excess condensation, or extreme temps, like much of the country.
A few things to consider. The OP is in California, but where is the car located? Most likely in CA, but we don't know.

California is a big state. There are areas where the climate is not so mild such as in the Sierras and several northern counties.

CalSnow1.jpg
CalSnow2.jpg

A few things to consider. The OP is in California, but where is the car located? Most likely in CA, but we don't know.

California is a big state. There are areas where the climate is not so mild such as in the Sierras and several northern counties.

View attachment 179382 View attachment 179383
I know it is.

But this guy was Bay Area.

And he didn’t mention his mom going up to Tahoe for skiing, or down to Death Valley for hiking. He said she doesn’t drive much.

Ergo - Mild climate. If she’s coastal, like Santa Cruz, then I would go with an annual change because of the humidity. But for most of the state - mild.

Since Covid started, my wife works from home. Her 2012 Highlander (currently at about 135,000 miles) went from driving 50 miles round trip on the freeway every day (to a parking deck) to 2 trips to church every week (6 miles week) and a 5 mile round trip grocery shopping once a week. Once or twice a month she might run across town and actually get the car up to operating temp. Before Covid I changed the oil every 10K miles with Mobil1. Since Covid, the change interval hasn't really been on a regular schedule, but once every couple of years is close. I don't think the car cares. We drive my Ridgeline if we get out and her Highlander will end up in the Smithsonian as the newest looking 2012 Highlander remaining.

Hello

Thanks
Her oil should be changed every 6 months, regardless of low miles. Oil accumulates moisture, and your mom's usage patterns create an ideal environment for sludge to form from the unburned moisture in the oil.

Back