98 Camry 1MZFE oil change interval

So I actually called the shop up today that used to service her vehicle. They told me they always used conventional and she always did 3000 mile OCIs.

One thing I do notice about this engine that is interesting is the oil currently on the dipstick, even 1300ish miles later is very light. It looks like oil I just put in 300-400 miles later on most other cars. So I'm guessing there's very little sludge in the engine based on this. I don't want to pull the valve cover because they've actually been recently done and aren't leaking, I can see the RTV from whoever did them last.

I've been doing 5K conventional oil changes for years on most of my cars, should I keep this thing going at 3K like it was, or go to 5K? Oils used will probably be NAPA Syn-Blend, and Valvoline Maxlife, maybe Supertech again, but I figure go buy NAPA if it's on sale rather than support Wal-mart. NAPA Syn-Blend on sale is the same price as ST ($16 per 5qts) on sale.
"conventional" doesn't really exist anymore, it is a synthetic blend now.

3k oil change intervals is good so it shouldn't have a sludge issue even using synthetic blend.

My 1MZ-FE is doing perfectly fine with 5k intervals with full synthetic. I highly recommend against using a synthetic blend for 5k intervals on a 1MZ-FE.

Also do not forget to change the PCV valve like I mentioned before, it is only a few dollars.

One thing I do notice about this engine that is interesting is the oil currently on the dipstick, even 1300ish miles later is very light. It looks like oil I just put in 300-400 miles later on most other cars. So I'm guessing there's very little sludge in the engine based on this. I don't want to pull the valve cover because they've actually been recently done and aren't leaking, I can see the RTV from whoever did them last.

That’s normal. If you don’t use a junky 5w-30 and run it too long, clogging the PCV, these engines are really easy on oil and very long-lived units.

I agree with bbhero that a decent synthetic and 5k is no issue. A better, more robust synthetic and 7.5k is also just fine. Just decide what you want to spend on oil and the time changing it. NAPA syn and one of their silver or gold filters at 5k would be a fine plan.

FIL used to have that exact Camry. I don't think you need to be picky about the ATF, pretty much anything that claims compatible with T-IV would work. I just put in Maxlife and call it a day, no need to drop pan, just drain and refill. Those tranny is very durable. Engine oil wise I'd just change it now as the condensation and fuel dilution might have worn it out already. I'd just use whatever semi-syn every 3-4k and be done with it till they are all used up, then switch to syn for 5k, no need to hung up on it.

Only concern is the cost for timing belt and spark plugs change for that V6. I'd change the water pump at the same time just to avoid redoing it later and pay for all that again. They can easily cost 600-1000.

when i had a 2az-fe 4 speed camry we ran valvoline multi transmission fluid and it worked fine for 15 years at ~50K miles each fluid change. it asked for T4 and i never noticed any weird operation.

I've gone about 5000 on most of my cars, with semi-syn/conventional oil most of the time. As shown in my recent Ford Five Hundred valve cover pic thread, https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...over-pics-186k-miles-conventional-oil.368547/ it hasn't really gone too bad.

However, I have a new to me 98 Camry with the 1MZFE V6 and 160K on it, and it's a very very nice car, not much rust, very clean body, paint, and interior, and it runs well. The story of the car is somewhat sad, I bought it from a lady I only knew a little (neighbor of a friend) who was on her deathbed at the time, and she died about two weeks after I got the car registered. It's all been really well maintained and perhaps just calling the mechanic she used is a better strategy than prognosticating on the internet.

So I was reading about sludge on this motor, and am wondering if people here think I should be fine on a 5K interval with today's API SP "conventional" syn blend oil or not. The oils I have a lot of on hand are NAPA blue bottle conventional, and some Valvoline Maxlife, both in 5w30. It doesn't seem to leak or use oil now, however, when I first got it for a few days it smelled like burning oil just a little bit, now that I've had it and it's been driving for a few weeks, the smell is about 99% gone. I've never seen any drops under the car yet, though.

The car was sitting without being driven since about 2020 when she got too sick, and the last oil change was done in 2020 as well, according to the sticker. The oil was essentially new in the crankcase, with only a few hundred miles on it and super clean looking. So I've put about a thousand miles on that oil now. Should I just keep running this oil, likely whatever shop bulk oil, until 3000 or 5000 miles, or should I get it out? It seems to have done well as a stop leak, so I'm hesitant to dump it, and the car seems to run fine and everything. I understand the risk is trapped moisture, but I figure over a thousand miles that's burnt off, so...

Also, what's more worrying, my neighbor who is a Camry fanatic looked it over, and my transmission fluid is fairly dark, and he suggested changing it soon. Should I drop the pan and change the filter, or just do a drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife?

What do you guys think? Should I drain the old oil out early, or just leave it in? And of course, the main question, 3K or 5K OCIs with "conventional" oil in this car. Right now I have 2-3 oil changes left with NAPA/Valvoline, but it might get Supertech unless the NAPA Valvoline goes on sale again.

Dino Group 1 oil can't take the high engine heat as it ages and can easly turn into sludge.

The price difference is almost 0 to go to a low priced full synthetic 5W-30 (like SuperTech or Quaker State).
At Walmart, SuperTech Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 is only $18.98 for a 5 quart jug minus $1 for 5% cash back rebate with Walmart credit card = $17.98. Also, Walmart seems to run specials on Quaker State Full synthetic 5W-30 varieties for about the same price as SuperTech.

Also, regarding the 5K OCI, I would consider 3k-4k maximum regardless of oil used.
That generation Camry and Sienna's had serious sludge issues. Why take a risk when you don't have to.

Back