BEST CHOICES FOR HYUNDAI SANTA FE THETA II 2.4 GDI

it was recommended to do short oci׳s in those engines back then.
i would do a 3k oci׳s until i would know for sure if my car is with the faulty engines or not.

In my 2017 I last changed the oil with Mobil 1 0-W30. It has really made startup very quiet. I was amazed because M1 is usually regarded as a noisy oil. I am also using original Hyundai oil filters. This seems to be the best combination that I have found so far. As far as the engine longevity. I plan on keeping this car for a very long time. After all....it has a lifetime engine warranty.

We get, you don’t like Kia and Hyundai. No need to keep posting about it, enjoy your Mazda and move on.
very lame and poor comment.
my wife,dad,mother in law and 5 other family members all have Hyundais.
im referring ONLY to the faulty engines which btw is a FACT.
grow up and get some sort of life.
what a child.

very lame and poor comment.
my wife,dad,mother in law and 5 other family members all have Hyundais.
im referring ONLY to the faulty engines which btw is a FACT.
grow up and get some sort of life.
what a child.
Psychology 101 - people get hostile when they run out of arguments. I’ve got nothing against you, chill out

Last edited:
Psychology 101 - people get hostile when they run out of arguments. I’ve got nothing against you, chill out
or they just trying to help and dont like and have zero tolerance for small,Nero minded,annoying people giving stupid,off the subject,personal and not professional answer's.
that's also an option.

Interesting... some can quickly dish it out but can't take it
If you’re referring to me then I have 0 interest arguing here over this matter - I said what I want, he keeps posting the same “message” about how Hyundais are the worst and I suggested him to stop. If he thinks that posting bunch of crap is a reasonable response to this then I feel sorry for him

If you’re referring to me then I have 0 interest arguing here over this matter - I said what I want, he keeps posting the same “message” about how Hyundais are the worst and I suggested him to stop. If he thinks that posting bunch of crap is a reasonable response to this then I feel sorry for him
i was only referring to a specific model and specific years.read what i wrote.
you and others like you are bringing the level of this forum down and are ruining the entire experience for others by going personal and totally off the matter discussed.
why is it so hard to stay on point?

and i wrote that i bought my wife a Hyundai,my dad,mother in law and 5 others members of my family all own this brand so.....

This is awesome.

This is your Daily reminder NOT TO BUY a 2018-2019 HYUNDAI product

if you wish to unsubscribe click - HERE

'18 Accent SE . So far , so good . Almost 22,000 miles since purchesd new in September of '18 . Averaging 39 m.p.g. ( calculated ) from dealer lot and on . Using SHELL Rotella R.G.T. 5w-30 ( SN+ , GF-5 ) with Fram Ultra XG9688 . No burning of oil . Fill is mostly Top Tier VALERO 90 w/o E .

Last edited:
'18 Accent SE . So far , so good . Almost 22,000 miles since purchesd new in September of '18 . Averaging 39 m.p.g. ( calculated ) from dealer lot and on . Using SHELL Rotella R.G.T. 5w-30 ( SN+ , GF-5 ) with Fram Ultra XG9688 . No burning of oil . Fill is mostly Top Tier VALERO 90 w/o E .
I had a 1996 Accent 3-door, 5 Speed (co developed with Porsche)

A very good car.

I had the best luck with their smaller-engined cars.

A woman where I last worked had an Accent for ages.

Works well. (y)

thanks for reminding me of the Accent; I doubt they continue to make a MT, but I am going to look online regardless.

Not Mine, similar - Mine was an Indigo "blue /purple" colour.

accent.jpg

I purchased a used 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe, Theta II, 2.4 GDI (non-turbo) engine, 30,000 miles. Owner's manual recommends 5-W-30 oil but no recommendations as to conventional, blend or full synthetic. 7500 miles is the recommended OCI for "normal" service. I've always changed oil at 5,000 miles and used conventional oils. What do you recommend and why? I live in Southern California and drive about 12,000 per year.

Fuel kills the bearings. Hyundai has been caught, lawsuit'd, classaction'd, and finally extended a no hassle warranty on earlier theta-II GDI engines, 2.0GDI, 2.4GDI, and 2.0TGDI. Some models get new engines, some get factory rebuilds, and some get rebuilt short blocks, depending on year.

Hyundai will never fess up to the real problems concerning the theta-ii. Not the debris that they originally claimed. Liars!

UOA data for some driving styles shows plenty of fuel in the oil. Owners are paraplegic when it comes to using a dipstick and keeping the oil level full.

My theta-ii's always were filled with full synthetic oil. There is nothing special about the OE filter. I use the common available full synthetic filters from Fram, Purolator, and NapaWix, all locally available. I'd add the Amsoil/RoyalPurple filters if you shop online.

For the 2.4GDI, I recommend the 5w30 oil, and if in budget, the higher HTHS Euro 5w30's. One can only hope the extra cst provides a little more cushion when loaded with fuel.

If synthetic is in your budget, I would use synthetic. If not, the engine will run fine on any newer spec conventional or blend oil. Lower your oil change accordingly. 12k miles a year.... I recommend 3 oil changes regardless of the filter or oil type used.

Because of fuel diluting the oil, I recommend the service service interval in your ownersmanualmaintenance guides. For a non-turbo 2.4GDI theta-ii, that interval is 3750 miles.

Because your vehicle was purchased used, I would perform a few short oil change intervals(2k miles) and use something to clean out the engine. Maybe toss in a bottle of BG MOA for one oil change and then Lubegard Biotech for another before going 4k miles on oil. Cut open your filters and inspect for sludge. This will give you an idea if the engine was maintained or not.

Once you blow up a couple theta-ii's, you'll never want to buy another Hyundai again. 2 down and 1 more to go. Good cars, decent warranty, tons of features,.... but theta-ii has been a fast-acting fuse in this driveway.

Textbook dealer maintained engine, with oil consumption at 23k miles, cleaned spotless by me.... This is what more frequent maintenance on a textbook dealer maintained vehicle loosens up. Also, once cleaned, oil consumption drops to almost nothing, from a quart every 1k.

Attachments

• cleaningthetaii.jpg
    cleaningthetaii.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 59
  • cleaningthethetaii.jpg
    cleaningthethetaii.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Not sure on the newest ones, but if you read through older manuals (like our 12) essentially if you drive the car you are under severe service. :rolleyes:

I do 10k full syn OCIs on our Kia without issue BUT we have the V6. It's the 4s that have been a thorn in Hyundai/Kia's side.

I had a Theta II. Sold it a few months back. I ran 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer. Only ran one oil analysis, and it was good. It needed tires, brakes and some body work. I hit a deer. Oh it needed a new windshield too. The cost of the work needed was running in the $1500-$2000 range. I got an offer to sell it for $3700, took the offer.

Bought another vehicle with a trouble-prone engine, the Ford 5.4 3V. Now I'm itching to change the oil pump and the timing set out, and put in the Melling high volume oil pump and Melling cast-iron tensioners.

I'm an owner of a vehicle with that same or similar engine. I have a 2015 Kia Optima with a 2.4L motor. For some reason the Hyundai variant uses a different engine air filter than the Kia variant. Mine burns pretty dirty, the oil turns black fast for mine. I've used, Mobil's AP and EP. Mine doesn't like Mobil. Pennzoil PP 0w-20 has worked the best for me. Today I bought a jug of Royal Purple 0w-20, and a, Fram US filter. For me at least RP worked magic on a 1.8L engine from my last car. I'm very curious if RP will give my 2.4L the same effect.

Back