BEST CHOICES FOR HYUNDAI SANTA FE THETA II 2.4 GDI

Dear Oil Guy:

I purchased a used 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe, Theta II, 2.4 GDI (non-turbo) engine, 30,000 miles. Owner's manual recommends 5-W-30 oil but no recommendations as to conventional, blend or full synthetic. 7500 miles is the recommended OCI for "normal" service. I've always changed oil at 5,000 miles and used conventional oils. What do you recommend and why? I live in Southern California and drive about 12,000 per year.

Thank you!

Signed,
Confused in Orange County.

If it doesn’t specify most likely any will be fine. I think 5W-30 is fine. In my opinion if you are doing conventional I’d do 3000 or synthetic or blend 5000 just in my opinion.

I always used Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend or Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30, in my 2013. For the filter, NAPA Gold or OE. I changed the oil at 5,000 miles. The recommendation was 3,750 for severe service and 7,500 for normal service. I just split the difference.

I would use a full synthetic if I were you. If there is a any sludge and your motor tanks, Hyundai loves to deny warranty. They will just blame it on the previous owner slugging it upand they wont give you a break. They have spent 3 to 4 BILLION $$$ ) by their own stated figures) on rebuilding engines in the passed 8 years, I would not want to be the one who gives them any room to deny as they are just looking to pull that trigger. As you know here you have very affordable options for cheap GOOD full synthetic if you are a penny pincher. Hyundai motors are hard on oil, so I would pass on semi blend too. I would go with 5w-30 full synthetic and not 5w-20.

I have a 19' 2.4 GDI non-turbo 4 banger Sorento and use Penn Platinum 5w30 in summer and 5w20 in winter. Both grades are in the owner's manual. I also installed a catch can, for what it's worth. Seems to have couple Tbl of oil after 5k miles. I use OEM filter and PP due to its good NOACK and decent price. Tried Mobil 1 and it didn't seem to like it. Burned oil, but that just might be the design of the car. No oil burning on PP.

I have a 2010 Santa Fe with the 2.4L, the oil cap recommends 5W20, but I run 5w30 either QSUD or RGT with OEM filter for 5k OCI. The car has 125k miles and doesn’t burn a a drop of oil and runs like it just came off the lot.

I have a 2010 Santa Fe with the 2.4L, the oil cap recommends 5W20, but I run 5w30 either QSUD or RGT with OEM filter for 5k OCI. The car has 125k miles and doesn’t burn a a drop of oil and runs like it just came off the lot.
I had a 2011 Optima with the 2.4. It just started to use a small amount of oil on the 8000 km oil changes that I gave it. I only used synthetic 5W20 and 5W30. According to the manual I could have used any grade oil in it. The oil cap stated 5W20 though. I ran an oem oil filter as well. It was a trouble free car. So much so that I purchased a Kia K5 about a month ago.

"Normal" service means majority highway driving, anything other than that is considered "severe". Does the manual still state oil changes every 3750 for severe? I would be changing out at the severe interval and using 5w30 if allowed by Hyundai, synthetic as well. The Hyundai / Kia 2.4 is a bit of a problem child of an engine. Treat it well.

Why would make a best choice,, oil with the same ratings is oil ? Any oil from the majors brands. Shell Mobil etc would serve your engine well.

Use 5-30 synthetic. And because it is a dirty GDI do not exceed 5,000 miles between oil changes. I have that engine and usually do it around 4,500 miles. Also keep an eye on oil consumption. They usually start to use some oil after a while.

Absolutely best? M1 ESP 5w30. Gonna keep your valves cleaner than other oils.
Best price/quality combo? Prob Napa Synthetic when it goes on sale or Magnatec
Cheapest synthetic? Supertech (Walmart) or Kirkland (Costco)
And remember, the best oil is fresh oil :) No 7500 miles OCI in that car

(This is just my opinion based on trying almost every oil that's out there in my Kia with the same engine)

I have a Kia 2.4L GDI and use PUP 5W30 and OEM filter. 5W20 is allowed, but I prefer 5W30 because of fuel dilution. The engine is also quieter with the thicker oil.

I would use PP 5W-30 and the OE filter (great quality and correct pressure relief) and change at 5,000 miles OCI.
Had a 2013 Sonata 2.4L until it was totaled.

Absolutely best? M1 ESP 5w30. Gonna keep your valves cleaner than other oils.

Agreed, that or you can get Castrol Edge 5w30 LL on line at Walmart for cheap. Both of those are thick Euro 5w30s and super clean oils, good choice since Hyundai allows 5w30 in the manual. I would still change at 5k on a Hyundai though.

Agreed, that or you can get Castrol Edge 5w30 LL on line at Walmart for cheap. Both of those are thick Euro 5w30s and super clean oils, good choice since Hyundai allows 5w30 in the manual. I would still change at 5k on a Hyundai though.
Haven’t tried Castrol really, based on the approvals it should be very similar

Back