BEST CHOICES FOR HYUNDAI SANTA FE THETA II 2.4 GDI

I'm an owner of a vehicle with that same or similar engine. I have a 2015 Kia Optima with a 2.4L motor. For some reason the Hyundai variant uses a different engine air filter than the Kia variant. Mine burns pretty dirty, the oil turns black fast for mine. I've used, Mobil's AP and EP. Mine doesn't like Mobil. Pennzoil PP 0w-20 has worked the best for me. Today I bought a jug of Royal Purple 0w-20, and a, Fram US filter. For me at least RP worked magic on a 1.8L engine from my last car. I'm very curious if RP will give my 2.4L the same effect.
Try M1 esp the next time it goes on sale at Napa, or Pennzoil euro L / Castrol LL. I didn’t like the vanilla M1 either

I've used M1-AP and M1-EP neither impressed me, both made the motor louder and feel sluggish. I have no interest in using vanilla M1 ever. I have high hopes for the Royal Purple I bought earlier today. If the RP doesn't work out for me I'll go back to PP.
I've not ever tried a Euro variant of motor oil yet. Thanks for that suggestion, it'll be something I'll look into.

I've used M1-AP and M1-EP neither impressed me, both made the motor louder and feel sluggish. I have no interest in using vanilla M1 ever. I have high hopes for the Royal Purple I bought earlier today. If the RP doesn't work out for me I'll go back to PP.
I've not ever tried a Euro variant of motor oil yet. Thanks for that suggestion, it'll be something I'll look into.
One day I hope to have this level of “feeling“ of my engines … One day …

Last edited:
One day I hope to have this level of “feeling“ of my engines … One day …
Well if you drive a relatively heavy car with a small 4 banger, you will get all kinds of "feelings".

In a three- ton truck with 4WD and a V8 and 33" tires - Not so much.

Don't discount peoples ability to perceive.
That's why we are still hear as a species and not eaten out of existence
- Ken

Well if you drive a relatively heavy car with a small 4 banger, you will get all kinds of "feelings".

In a three- ton truck with 4WD and a V8 and 33" tires - Not so much.

Don't discount peoples ability to perceive.
That's why we are still hear as a species and not eaten out of existence
- Ken
You are the one who’s been thick with judging today …
Years of posts of you “feeling“ all these bad oils and bad engines is entertaining at best … but not in the mood for sanctimonious lectures from you, Ok ?

You are the one who’s been thick with judging today …
Years of posts of you “feeling“ all these bad oils and bad engines is entertaining at best … but not in the mood for sanctimonious lectures from you, Ok ?
I guess there is more stuff going down that is of higher importance than talkin' 'bout Earl.

Here is a video to cheer you up:

I guess there is more stuff going down that is of higher importance than talkin' 'bout Earl.

Here is a video to cheer you up:

Or we could wonder about your assumptions:
Lived in S Korea for two years and made many business trips there … I have commented on this regarding vehicles, appliances, KORUS and manufacturing in N Korea
So when offered a car or SUV ? I took a Tucson with a 4 banger … pretty close to subject SUV … it was a very hilly area but it did Ok … Revs R Us …
We just traded a 4 banger with 145K on another … and still have one with 135K … so two 4’s, one 6, and one V8 with stock diameter fuel saver tires … They have used M1, PP, and Valvoline …
I frequently rent cars on the company dime, more like nickel - so I drive every 4 banger out there in modest trim.
All good … 😷

I've recently been introduced to the Sante Fe. My 19 year old's boyfriend has a '14....2.4. The cap says 5w-20. But the manual says 5/30 or 10/30. Rather confusing. After reading up on some Hyundai forums....these things are tough on oil.....dilution and some consumption.

Several weeks back I changed the oil for him. It was about a quart down and the old oil that came out had the consistency of black water and smelled heavy of fuel.

Threw in some Meijer (Warren) synthetic 5/30. He's put about 3k miles on it since. I've added a bit of makeup oil to it.

20201011_110637.jpg

Hi Hogwash, I'm with ya on that.
I currently have my(RIP Oct. 2020) FILs 2018 Santa Fe Sport(FWD Only) 2.4L.
And his under hood oil cap says the same(5W20). However, his 2018 owner's manual does mention that 5W30 is recommended but also mentions that 5W20 or 10W30 is allowable. I guess that there are some slight differences in the way that the OM were written between model years.

Reactions: 4WD
And his under hood oil cap says the same(5W20). However, his 2018 owner's manual does mention that 5W30 is recommended but also mentions that 5W20 or 10W30 is allowable. I guess that there are some slight differences in the way that the OM were written between model years.
5w-30 and even 40 weights are the safest bet for the theta II.

I just checked the owners manual and you’re right it says use 5W-30 for best fuel economy. However, I believe that was a typo. That is the recommended fuel economy oil for the 2.0T. The recommended fuel economy oil for the 2.4 has always been 5W-20. It appears Hyundai didn’t create this oil chart correctly. Hyundai oil recommendations in the OM have been lackluster for years.

Last edited:
I just checked the owners manual and you’re right it says use 5W-30 for best fuel economy. However, I believe that was a typo. That is the recommended fuel economy oil for the 2.0T. The recommended fuel economy oil for the 2.4 has always been 5W-20. It appears Hyundai didn’t create this oil chart correctly. Hyundai oil recommendations in the OM have been lackluster for years.
Is there any source to substantiate that Hyundai incorrectly created their oil chart in their OM?

If you know/believe this, then you would think that Hyundai would also know this and would have created an addendum for that page in the OM. Addendum's have been sent to my home from other MFGs of other vehicles that I've owned.

I mean, Hyundai is a company who is doing a lot of things right

Yeah....the '14's manual clearly states 5/30 - 10/30....despite what the cap says.

This vehicle was bought new by this guy's mother. She gave it to him about 18 months ago. After some research on his part I found out this thing has lived on Pennzoil 5/20 conventional most of it's life....it's at 86k now. So whoever was doing the changes was abiding by the cap.

Anyway, he's 300 miles from home going to school. So I've taken it upon myself to help him out. I plan to stick with at least 5/30 for the next OC. I do smell some fuel in the current oil. It's been in there for about 3k miles. So if it continues to dilute I may follow the advice of some folks on the Hyundai forums and try a 40w

IDK what oil brand or grade that my FIL had used. He took it to the dealer or quick change for his OCIs and he lived in Tampa. If I were to own the SantaFe, I'd probably use FS 5W30 in the summer & 0/5W20 in the winter for this 2.4L

FWIW, I've run 5w-20 and 5w-30 in my '19 2.4L Hyundai. Anecdotally, I don't observe any difference in it's operation with each weight. It's my opinion that these engines will last a long time as long as there's oil in them. . . a theory that's backed up in my owner's manual which specs a wide range of oil weights beyond the 5w-20 that's spec'd on the engine oil cap. I'll probably run 5w-20 from now on, just to keep my oil purchases simpler, as my Ram truck also specs 5w-20.

Is there any source to substantiate that Hyundai incorrectly created their oil chart in their OM?

If you know/believe this, then you would think that Hyundai would also know this and would have created an addendum for that page in the OM. Addendum's have been sent to my home from other MFGs of other vehicles that I've owned.

I mean, Hyundai is a company who is doing a lot of things right
Because the Kia Sorento 2.4 shows 5w-20 as the recommended fuel economy oil and it has the proper disclaimers.

It appears Hyundai made a typo in the owners manual.

So many times we have seen where the "grade chart" in the owner's manual is so outdated and confusing to be nearly useless. One can overlook much of this by using it as a recommendation, not a "specification". There are nearly no manuals that "specify" a grade, and as has been discussed on here many times, even fewer (if any) that say grade selection is a condition of the new car warranty. Many like my new VW like to word it so that many will think that, but careful reading show it is not the case.

Back