Benefits and Reasons to Buy an iPhone?

A majority of it is personal preference, some people don't like the user interface of Android vs others don't like the Mac / iOS interface. Functionality wise they are both going to do the job, and android do have more variety of hardware instead of the standard iPhone 6,6S,7,7S,8,9,X,11, etc.

I typically steer people away from low end free android phone with contract renewal but since yours is a high end or near high end phone it is fine. I like that Google's service tends to be better than some of what iOS offer (news, map, text messages, mail) but they are both good enough really.

Migration from one OS to another can be a pain, that's about all I can think of.

At 85, I can't think of one. Plain Jane Jitterbug does it for us. I'd probably lose it, even if I learned how to use it. Heck, I'm typing this using a seven year old Dell computer running Windows 7 Pro. Works just fine a never a problem.
Well at 85 you don't have a workplace mandating certain OS version for security and work related apps (MS team, Webex, Zoom, VPN 2FA, etc).

I guess typically we get free phone if company mandate certain work related stuff.

I just got a Samsung A12 because it was the second cheapest smartphone Verizon had to offer. My previous smartphone was the cheapest in 2016, and I bought that one because I wasn't sure how I was going to use it... It was perfectly serviceable for 5 years. My only complaint is that for the past year, I was using the entire 16 GB of internal memory. My new A12 has double that, and I've been very happy with that for the past month.

My general rule of thumb is to buy a tool that fits my needs, no need to go overboard. (That could change when I no longer have to think about the kids going to college 🥴 )
This parallels my situation. I'm still happy (after about a month) with the A12 and the 32Gb of memory, but sometimes I'd like the phone to respond faster. Would a 5G phone be faster?

I agree that getting what's needed is a good way to go. I'm somewhat of a minimalist in most areas of my life, so I tend to look at things carefully to see what will work best for me.

At 85, I can't think of one. Plain Jane Jitterbug does it for us. I'd probably lose it, even if I learned how to use it. Heck, I'm typing this using a seven year old Dell computer running Windows 7 Pro. Works just fine a never a problem.
You sound like my sweetie, who's a few years older than me. Her son provides her with a smartphone, adding her and some other family members to his plane. She's overwhelmed by all that she "needs" to learn with the phone ... her kids and grandkids keep pushing her to learn how to text, send pictures, and use the phone more.

She's taken a smartphone class at the local senior center, but the well-meaning youngsters who volunteer to teach the classes assume that the older folks are more knowledgeable than they are, and are not really skilled at being teachers. She says ... and I agree ... that they speak too fast, use too much jargon, and are, effectively, difficult to follow.

While I'd like her to learn to text, ad she'd like to learn to send pictures, her real use for the phone is for emergencies and communicating when she's away from home. I wonder if that Jitterbug might be a good choice for her.

BTW, if it weren't for me insisting that she upgrade her computer, she'd still be using her old kerosene-powered machine.

Tried to get away from IPhone for a little less than a year. Bought a new IPhone 12 promax and not gonna look back. Words cannot explain the difference between iPhone and other phones.
Words are generally how we communicate. Are you unable to explain the differences between the iPhone and Others? What besides words could you use to explain the differences? Perhaps links to videos?

Words are generally how we communicate. Are you unable to explain the differences between the iPhone and Others? What besides words could you use to explain the differences? Perhaps links to videos?
I kind of like and appreciate your sarcasm but I'm fairly certain that you know exactly what I meant by saying no words can explain. It's the same is if one would try to explain what it is like to drive a modern luxury car vs base model civic. while both do the same thing, deliver you from a to b, it will be extremely different experience and try to word it is kind of pointless (yes, you can go on and on with standard terms pertaining car's performance but it'll be meaningless). Same with these phones. Just buy an iphone and give it a try. I'm 99% certain you'll love it. Disclaimer: i don't own any other apple products but an iphone.

If this helps anyone who is older. My 85 or 92 (I forgot*L*) year old mother inlaw who lives on the other side of the planet loves her I-Pad and is a wiz with it, staying in touch with her family with text, chat and voice using her iPad. In fact she just upgraded to the newest one.

Apple phones are not any harder to use. I think for anyone, the Android system is certainly more challenging. Im only saying this for those older people with Android operating systems. If you are using that now, you will be a master at Apple.

Like any change it will take a bit of determination but its a much more "clean" system and regular reliable Apple updates.
Then if you REALLY want to get into it, there is the Apple Watch, world leader, built in ECG for your heart and coming out this fall, built in Blood Glucose meter! works 24 hours a day, no finger pricking for blood.

The best part about the Apple products, is it works and its supported.

If this helps anyone who is older. My 85 or 92 (I forgot*L*) year old mother inlaw who lives on the other side of the planet loves her I-Pad and is a wiz with it, staying in touch with her family with text, chat and voice using her iPad. In fact she just upgraded to the newest one.

Apple phones are not any harder to use. I think for anyone, the Android system is certainly more challenging. Im only saying this for those older people with Android operating systems. If you are using that now, you will be a master at Apple.

Like any change it will take a bit of determination but its a much more "clean" system and regular reliable Apple updates.
Then if you REALLY want to get into it, there is the Apple Watch, world leader, built in ECG for your heart and coming out this fall, built in Blood Glucose meter! works 24 hours a day, no finger pricking for blood.

The best part about the Apple products, is it works and its supported.

Strongly disagree, I find Android to be much more intuitive and easier to navigate. I was just on a flight next to a guy with some giant iPad laughing inside as I watched him fighting that stupid navigation bar as he tried to switch apps.

fighting that stupid navigation bar as he tried to switch apps.
Just because he doesn't know how isn't a fault of the OS. I'm confident he'd have the same issues on any device or any OS he uses.

Switch apps on Android: Swipe up, hold, release, swipe left or right to find your app
Switch apps on iPad: Swipe up (if the iPad has a home button, you double-click instead of swiping up), pause, swipe right

Try again....

Just because he doesn't know how isn't a fault of the OS. I'm confident he'd have the same issues on any device or any OS he uses.

Switch apps on Android: Swipe up, hold, release, swipe left or right to find your app
Switch apps on iPad: Swipe up (if the iPad has a home button, you double-click instead of swiping up), pause, swipe right

Try again....

Um, no.

Tap square button, tap app. None of this weird hover at just the right level stuff that makes me want to throw the device in the street.

Plus Android has a dedicated back button! Every app is the same! Tap the back button to go back!

If none of those work, you can download a multitude of custom launchers and make it work however you want. Apple says this is what you get, you'll take it and like it.

People typically have blinders on when it comes to what they want to believe.... A brand new iPhone SE is $399, an XR is $499, an 11 is $599. I'm not arguing those are "cheap", but they're not $1000+ like people only believe exists with Apple.

Most expensive iPhone = $1099 (VZW pricing)
Most expensive Samsung(s) = $1199 Galaxy S21 or $1299 Galaxy Note20
My iPhone 12 Pro 512GB costs $1299
A iPhone 12 Pro Max 512 GB costs $1399

Apple is my preference and I’ve had both. I just got the iPhone 12 Pro back on May 1st for a late birthday present upgraded from the XR. I personally feel Apple is far superior to anything Android puts out. It’s easier to navigate, more secure, better quality. My parents got the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultras and they absolutely don’t like them. They upgraded from an S9+ and S10+. What they don’t like is the lack of colors Verizon has to offer vs what colors Samsung offers. And the layout is messed up like it doesn’t have a bar at the bottom for the phone or message or browser icons it puts them on the Home Screen so you have to go all the way back to the Home Screen if you want to call or text someone. It doesn’t even have a spot for the bar. The only thing they really like on them is the camera. They plan on switching to iPhone next go around because they really aren’t satisfied with these phones. They haven’t ever used iPhones because the guy at the phone store when we upgraded to smartphones was anti Apple so they let that influence their decision and have had a negative view of them until now. Things I like for Apple is iMessage, FaceTime, browser, security, overall design and color options, durability. I’ve seen many Android phones break if dropped even with a case and screen protector. It’s a chore to break an Apple phone. If you watch all the drop tests on YouTube then you will see the Apple holds up better overall. My sister has a Google Pixel 2 and she likes it she just dropped and cracked it so she is planning on upgrading to the 5. Overall I don’t like the appearance or layout of those either but that maybe one too look at for you too it’s basically a middle of the road phone I’d say.

This is what I did with my iPhone today.

Recorded my blood glucose, blood pressure and heart rate.

Tracked my walking distance.

Surfed the interwebs. News, weather, etc

Paid for some stuff.

Used it as a level to install a security light.

Checked traffic ahead of driving.

Paired with a hearing assist device while out and about

It does a lot of things, much more than I listed here

Surface level stuff iOS/Android can do phone calls, text, music, take pics, etc. But people who buy into the operating system buy into the ecosystem. I've been an iPhone user since 2009 and had jumped to different phone OS'es (rip symbian and windows phone) but have stuck with Apple since they have introduced many Apple exclusive features. iMessage being first of them. Then you had device integration with Airpods with quick device switching that's made possible with their own in house chips. Then you had special home control protocols where smart outlets and switched can be integrated Apple's ecosystem. Same for their smart speakers or any third party device that supports Apple's protocols.

Apple charges a premium for non premium hardware. I don't get the hype of them. Look at the tech specs of an Iphone and compare it to an android phone. Android will always have a better processor, battery, camera and memory and the ability to add an SD card to expand the memory.

For "responding" faster ? No, 5G won't make it faster unless you mean downloading data or using online apps that talk back and forth. Besides, your A12 is 5G-capable already.
I don't know what you mean by my phone being "5G-capable." Does being capable mean that it has 5G? When I use my phone it adds a line to the email that says:

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

That suggests to me that the phone is 4G.

Tried to get away from IPhone for a little less than a year. Bought a new IPhone 12 promax and not gonna look back. Words cannot explain the difference between iPhone and other phones.
I just got my iPhone 12 promax a few days ago and was able to trade in my old iPhone for $800. I am very pleased with the new one and was pleased with the previous one as well.

Back