iPhone XR to android phone

Having had 3 iphones, and 3 androids, currently a Samsung android, I will never go back to an iphone, not if they are free, not if they paid $2500.
My girlfriend wanted me to get another iphone, I refused.
Instead I bought her a Samsung, within a week she wondered why she had been using an iphone.
Bell Mobility had a sale on at the time, $100 per phone to switch to Bell, so it cost me $200 for two new phones.
I'm an android user for life!
I really don't get this as I do switch back and forth occasionally but I guess we all need to route for a team. Why have phones gotten to the point that if you like one you must hate the other? Obviously you know what you like and I understand that, but these things are more alike than they are different. To be fair I have preferred levels of Android too. I liked at least the previous OnePlus OxygenOS which is close to base Android. I'd prefer a fairly base setup because I just don't like having 2-3 apps to do the same thing as Samsung has famously done. My usage with Android becomes much more involved. For instance with Samsung I end up hooking up to my computer and uninstalling Samsung and Verizon software because I prefer the Google dialer and Google Messages. Unfortunately there's not a way to hide these other apps completely otherwise because its considered default software.

What I'm saying is for my use I'd spend a lot more time screwing around getting a Samsung phone set up the way I wanted it, but that wouldn't stop me from buying it. I prefer Apple's CarPlay to Android Auto as well, though they're very similar. The biggest downside to Android Auto is that Maps never really goes to sleep in the background and eventually gets the phone hot. I've had it happen with two separate phones now.

Overall I "slightly" prefer iOS. It's not a landslide for me. It's almost like these devices that we spend so much for and use everyday is almost like a religion due to use and cost. Most feel very strongly in their choice. I don't think I've ever been one to be a huge long term fan of a product, except maybe Randolph Engineering sunglasses. Beyond that I've never even been there with a car brand.

... Why have phones gotten to the point that if you like one you must hate the other? Obviously you know what you like and I understand that, but these things are more alike than they are different. ...
The market leader always gets attacked. I hear you, I too have nothing against the other I just hate the untruths and misinformation to discredit Apple.

Top of the line iPhone beats them both and cost the same price $599
With that said, go with whatever one likes but many Apple haters overstate the price you can buy an iPhone for.
The iPhone 13 blows both of them both away but it you prefer android that is ok too. But let's be honest with pricing. 🙃

As far as $1,200 that is chump change to some people just like an expensive automobile or boat is to others. We buy the toys we enjoy.
BTW- the Pixel 7A was a gas guzzler with battery life, while the iPhone 13 was a battery life beast. But it all doesnt matter to most, it's about the operating system that someone wants. All iPhones will always be the phone the competition seeks to beat so you cant go wrong with the hardware, it's just a matter of what OS you want.
I think the simple reason would be usb c. Any droid device has had that feature since 2018, and a result one plug is all you need to carry. Right now the cheapest usb-c iphone is still the base 15?

Screenshot_20231214-112608_Firefox.jpg

iOS is a sad excuse for an OS and you can buy a top of the line Samsung or Pixel for $599. You have to have a hole in your head to pay $1200 for a phone.
just snagged a s23 for $270 new.

@alarmguy

Since you mention "performance"
you realize the s23 has the same processor as the s23 ultra right?

The same s23 phone I just paid 270$ for?

Whatsapp or signal > imessage.

I also paid 600$ for my s23 ultra the 512GB model with 12GB ram. .. not $1399

I'll probably keep it another year or 2 unless I can snag an s24 ultra in feb for $600 then I might do that and sell my s23 ultra.

Last edited:
I think the simple reason would be usb c. Any droid device has had that feature since 2018, and a result one plug is all you need to carry. Right now the cheapest usb-c iphone is still the base 15?
And? To an Apple user that means?
USB-C is not a feature. The plug on iPhones was superior until they were forced to go to USB by overseas government agencies.
But irregardless you consider that a feature and I consider that a downgrade and it’s pointless because the iPhone will not perform anything in the $600 price range.

Which phones and what metrics are you using to make this declaration?
… just read the reviews and maybe the fact that one company outsells all others combined in the USA premium market and who is that? Apple.
It’s next closest competitor Samsung sells 55% less phones in the USA

It’s all good buy whatever phone you want but people should stop trying to discredit the most successful cell phone manufacturer in the United States of America.
Amazing how Americans eat their own🤣
Yet that one company beats every other company, and every foreign company combined in this country

U.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2023, by month​

Published by Statista Research Department, Oct 4, 2023
Apple's iOS continues to hold the largest share of the smartphone operating systems market in the United States, claiming more than half of the market as of July 2023. Apple's share of the US market has risen steadily since early 2012, when it accounted for around 30 percent.”

Are you aware that android outsells iphone?

So the market leader is android.
I guess you are not but who cares?
Chevy outsells BMW but maybe you want to look at the facts or should I say inconvenient truth.

Here is the truth,
Pretty amazing that you can combine every single manufacturer of cell phones in the world that sells in the USA and Apple alone, a darn good American company still sells more phones then all foreign companies combined. But keep rooting for the foreign companies, the closest competitor Samsung would have to more than double their sales here to match Apple.
Meaning for those not comprehending, Samsung sales would have to go up over 100% from their current level.

Apple's iOS continues to hold the largest share of the smartphone operating systems market in the United States, claiming more than half of the market as of July 2023. Apple's share of the US market has risen steadily since early 2012, when it accounted for around 30 percent.

Last edited:
And? To an Apple user that means?
USB-C is not a feature. The plug on iPhones was superior until they were forced to go to USB by overseas government agencies.
But irregardless you consider that a feature and I consider that a downgrade and it’s pointless because the iPhone will not perform anything in the $600 price range.
Subjectively speaking, buying a $600 phone with a charging port standard that Apple just dropped in favor of an "inferior" universal standard is going to be interesting going forward.

I can’t have a discussion with you because you’re not up-to-date on the data which is part of your screen name.
Do you not comprehend that Apple was forced by the European Union to abandon the proprietary connection?
And just because you like one feature, you are far far in the minority, since Apple commands the market lead in the USA against all others.
This is a pointless compensation
Over and out
I am not disagreeing. However Apple been rolling out usb-c in more and more devices before the iphone switchover. They claim it is important for connectivity, support for more transfer speed heavy devices like a 5k external display, and something their pro level consumers will enjoy.

The first example of this would be Oct 2018

I am not disagreeing. However Apple been rolling out usb-c in more and more devices before the iphone switchover. They claim it is important for connectivity, support for more transfer speed heavy devices like a 5k external display, and something their pro level consumers will enjoy.

The first example of this would be Oct 2018

They fought the European Union on this iPhone topic and lost. They did not want to give up this connection for the phone.

… just read the reviews and maybe the fact that one company outsells all others combined in the USA premium market and who is that? Apple.
It’s next closest competitor Samsung sells 55% less phones in the USA

It’s all good buy whatever phone you want but people should stop trying to discredit the most successful cell phone manufacturer in the United States of America.
Amazing how Americans eat their own🤣
Yet that one company beats every other company, and every foreign company combined in this country

Apple's iOS continues to hold the largest share of the smartphone operating systems market in the United States, claiming more than half of the market as of July 2023. Apple's share of the US market has risen steadily since early 2012, when it accounted for around 30 percent.”

Screenshot_20231214-140937_Firefox.jpg

I guess you are not but who cares?
Chevy outsells BMW but maybe you want to look at the facts or should I say inconvenient truth.

Here is the truth,
Pretty amazing that you can combine every single manufacturer of cell phones in the world that sells in the USA and Apple alone, a darn good American company still sells more phones then all foreign companies combined. But keep rooting for the foreign companies, the closest competitor Samsung would have to more than double their sales here to match Apple.
Meaning for those not comprehending, Samsung sales would have to go up over 100% from their current level.

Apple's iOS continues to hold the largest share of the smartphone operating systems market in the United States, claiming more than half of the market as of July 2023. Apple's share of the US market has risen steadily since early 2012, when it accounted for around 30 percent.

If the world was made up of just that one country, then fine. But you're so busy trying to make some odd point, you completely missed the big picture.
Iphone is only 28% of cellphone sales.
If so superior, shouldn't they be 98% or more.

I drive a ford, its been good to me, but I'm not so blind as to tell anyone its the only good brand, and anyone who isn't a fool drives a ford. That to me is a ridiculous attitude.
Same as claiming that iphone is better than an android, or since you want to bring up samsung, then just samsung.
My girlfriend, age 23, had never used an android phone, until I bought her one this summer. Now she said that she would never go back to iphone.

Much love and hate in both os ecosystem worlds I see. I’m considering holding out until the XR is no longer supported by apple. Which won’t be long the way apple is releasing iOS 17 updates I believe the XR is a dead duck at iOS 18 but we’ll see I developed this laziness of switching the older I get and hate spending money lol.

This right here shows your bias and frankly that you don't know what you're talking about.
The only thing I don't like about USB-C is the fragility of the center pin just like Micro USB which Lightning does not have since that's part of the cable. The speed capabilities of USB-C have serious benefits. I'd like the phone to have USB-C and the AirPods too just because I could use the same cable as my MacBook. Not that big of a deal though because at least at home I use wireless charging for the AirPods and iPhone.

Yes, I'm aware that the re-release of the AirPods Pro and the iPhone 15 have USB-C. That's not enough though to get me to replace my 14 Pro Max and Pro 2s. There's not enough change to the new ones to justify it just yet.

This right here shows your bias and frankly that you don't know what you're talking about.
Of course I have a bias I purchased the phone for the features it had. Not what the government in the European Union wants.

Americans overwhelmingly choose iPhones over any other brand, but that doesn’t matter to you.

Have a good life Pal You need to educate yourself on the issue with some facts other than words and stop discrediting things you do not have

Last edited:
Back