Benefits and Reasons to Buy an iPhone?

sort of...Google doesn't make an actual computer OS outside of chromebooks to interface with whereas a mac and an iPhone work beautifully together the way androids just won't.
While the integration is there, I find that the majority of people don't take advantage of it at all or that the average person just doesn't need to integrate the two devices anyway. I also see/know a huge number of people who have iPhones + Windows computers so it ends up mattering little.

While the integration is there, I find that the majority of people don't take advantage of it at all or that the average person just doesn't need to integrate the two devices anyway. I also see/know a huge number of people who have iPhones + Windows computers so it ends up mattering little.

mmmm... Id say more advanced integration is ignored, but the basic picture and music/ podcast integration is very widely used, and what most people use almost daily.

I see split combos all the time and you can certainly make that work with no problems but they are messier than the apple-apple versions.

I cant imagine people dont want to view their pictures on a bigger screen or preserve them independently of the phone, but I could certainly be wrong.

I cant imagine people dont want to view their pictures on a bigger screen or preserve them independently of the phone, but I could certainly be wrong.
The ability to do this is there, yeah, but I'm talking about the average user. These are the same users who "lose" all of the photos on their phone when they replace it (unless they do it in-store and they get things transferred). If the phone dies, their photos are gone. So are their contacts. Neither has to happen but it does every day 'cause people only use their phone or computer at basic levels.

Plus, the number of macOS users in the world is tiny compared to Windows.

I also really dislike the whole "ecosystem" garbage and find Apple's to be inferior to Google. I use Google's apps on my iPhone vs the built-in Apple counterparts. On my Macs, I don't use Mail, Photos, Calendar, etc either and most everything is sync'd to my Google account. I have Notes and Messages sync'd to iCloud along with some random app data too. My iCloud storage usage normally stays in the 2.5gb out of 5gb. Only time it increases is when I haven't deleted pictures or videos from Messages.

After having iphones for several years I bought a samsung/android about 18 months ago because I didn't want to spend $1000 on a phone. After using it for 18 months now, I'm going to switch back with my next phone. While there is nothing glaringly wrong with my current phone or android in general I could probably list ten things I just simply prefer more with an iPhone and iOS.

The ability to do this is there, yeah, but I'm talking about the average user. These are the same users who "lose" all of the photos on their phone when they replace it (unless they do it in-store and they get things transferred). If the phone dies, their photos are gone. So are their contacts. Neither has to happen but it does every day 'cause people only use their phone or computer at basic levels.

Plus, the number of macOS users in the world is tiny compared to Windows.

I also really dislike the whole "ecosystem" garbage and find Apple's to be inferior to Google. I use Google's apps on my iPhone vs the built-in Apple counterparts. On my Macs, I don't use Mail, Photos, Calendar, etc either and most everything is sync'd to my Google account. I have Notes and Messages sync'd to iCloud along with some random app data too. My iCloud storage usage normally stays in the 2.5gb out of 5gb. Only time it increases is when I haven't deleted pictures or videos from Messages.

Yeah globally the mac users are tiny - last I looked it was about the percent of Mercedes Benz carries in the automative world something like 5%.

In media though the tables turn and Macs outnumber Pc's, and thats my industry so Im surrounded by them.

My company and myself stopped using google mail accounts years ago when I discovered they read your mails and used the content to target me. I dont expect much privacy but that was over the top.

I dont use iCloud at all all my IP is on device.

The only microsoft products I really use are the office suite, and little no nothing of googles unless one counts search.

It honestly comes down to preference. I was a staunch anti-Apple anything person because that’s what I grew up with. My 1st 2 smart phones were androids, Galaxy s2 skyrocket and the HTC ONE. I then switched to iPhones with the 6, then got a 6S, then switched back to Samsung because I thought I wanted the ability to customize everything. I went back to iPhones and stuck with them since.

Apple products are like Toyota cars. They might not have the absolute latest and greatest tech or features, but they generally just work reliably.

Apple made me a lot of money as I own some of their stocks for last 20 years. Seriously, I have owned iPhone 3, used Samsung for 2 years before switching back to iPhone 6, 7, and now 11. Their software upgrades are done regularly, especially when security issues are found, UI is easy, Facetime, iMessage, Airdrop, etc are nice features. Expensive, yes. But they hold their value and reselling them is easy as demand is high. Love the camera with iPhone 11 and have no desire to upgrade for awhile as battery life is still excellent.

1623638928918.jpg

One of my favourite pictures from Italy trip with iPhone 7 camera 3 years ago. Wonder how much better newer iPhone camera will take.

My work sent an email stating iphone to iphone messages are secure.

android to android default messaging is not secure, unless you install another app, such as Signal, then Signal to Signal messages are secure.

If you want to do VOIP... Google is more complicated now.... you have to use Google voice app, and they provide you with another phone number. Apple's VOIP is native to the iOS.

android to android default messaging is not secure
Google tried to resolve this with the RCS protocol but a) it should have been done years ago if not from the very start and b) the carriers wouldn't get on board with it (another negative against Android - the carriers have too much "input").

apple is more and more enforcing to prohibit repairs.. (creating unnecessary electronic waste, which could be repaired instead)
they are giving way too big effort to this..
i am strongly against planned obsolesce and "throwaway society".

cheap far-east labor is used, pricing very expensive=that means big profit.
you can buy strong gaming laptop for price of top iphone here..:eek:
apple products are a little advanced, but the difference is not that huge.
i think people should stop supporting unethical companies, it´s for the good of the customers.
people vote with wallets, do your part.

I just got a Samsung A12 because it was the second cheapest smartphone Verizon had to offer. My previous smartphone was the cheapest in 2016, and I bought that one because I wasn't sure how I was going to use it... It was perfectly serviceable for 5 years. My only complaint is that for the past year, I was using the entire 16 GB of internal memory. My new A12 has double that, and I've been very happy with that for the past month.

My general rule of thumb is to buy a tool that fits my needs, no need to go overboard. (That could change when I no longer have to think about the kids going to college 🥴 )

apple is more and more enforcing to prohibit repairs.. (creating unnecessary electronic waste, which could be repaired instead)

i think people should stop supporting unethical companies, it´s for the good of the customers.

Apple wants you to bring the phone to THEM to repair it, but Ive been able to get screen replacements and batteries at just about any 3rd party place.

Where do you think android phones are made?

Neither phones top of line models are cheap.

interesting reading + i ONLY recently got a new phone because 3G is going away + ended up with a $130 moto E from motorola that does all I need which is talk + rarely text + when i learn send EZE to take pics as needed. everything is a personal choice usually on how much $$$ you have + where YOU decide to spend it!! i got duped on E-bay by buying an older sony XPeria XZ that i loved, great pics + sound, but even thou it stated 4G which GOT me it was from Ireland + not compatible as noted when chatting with sony, prolly mostly my fault but seller prolly new + was quickly GONE! using it to talk for a few months without checking into it prolly cost me a possible refund, live + learn!! reading about i-phone longevity i wonder if they ever need replacing due to the current changes from 3G to 4G as well as slowly coming 5G

You do know all manufacturers offer top of the line cell phones priced the same and more expensive then Apple.
I’m not understanding a lot of posts about the expense of iPhones when Samsung and a host of other makers have phones priced the same and higher.
Sure other manufacturers sell cheaper models but the Apple buyer is looking for quality and top of the line construction.
Heck your kid can jump in a swimming pool with an iPhone XR, 11, 12 and it won’t be toast.
People that enjoy premium products know Iphone is a safe purchase because they don’t sell less premium like other makers. Let’s not forget the superior Apple operating system and privacy.
It’s whatever works for the purchaser.
Iphone is second in the world when it comes to sales and blows away all others in non 3rd world higher income countries.
They could be 1st if they sold non premium cheap models.

Last edited:
I’m not understanding a lot of posts about the expense of iPhones when Samsung and a host of other makers have phones priced the same and higher.
Sure other manufacturers sell cheaper models but the Apple buyer is looking for quality and top of the line construction.
Heck your kid can jump in a swimming pool with an iPhone XR, 11, 12 and it won’t be toast.
People typically have blinders on when it comes to what they want to believe.... A brand new iPhone SE is $399, an XR is $499, an 11 is $599. I'm not arguing those are "cheap", but they're not $1000+ like people only believe exists with Apple.

Most expensive iPhone = $1099 (VZW pricing)
Most expensive Samsung(s) = $1199 Galaxy S21 or $1299 Galaxy Note20

Yeah, sure, the company that just today released a new security patch for almost eight-year old phones and tablets, and whose upcoming OS will support six-year old phones desperately tries to coerce people to buy new devices surreptitiously. 6/8, in a market where some consider 3/4 to be a revelation compared to past practice.

The same company that will happily take their old devices back for trade-in value, or recycling, and was first to address the notion that the Asian suppliers that all electronics makers employ shoulder responsibility, and should have that reciprocated.

And if not a direct return, the used market certainly offers many chances for a second life for such devices, supported by robust resale values.

In principle, I support right-to-repair, otherwise I wouldn't be participating in a DIY-oriented forum, but that movement has turned dogmatic, and certain well-known sites that do provide informative teardowns, serve that with a serving of snark and sales pitch for its tools. They do not operate without their own self-interest in mind; it's not all about the cause.

Not unlike vehicles, mobile devices are not designed to be user-serviceable, and require specific tools and training to properly repair. That those are provided only to authorized service providers, as well as the original-quality parts needed to assure proper function, should be no surprise to those who have own at least a moderately modern vehicle. I guess the OEMs also secretly use that to push us to buy new cars, eh, and would happily provide them to all comers, even if not required by law to do so?

Pragmatically speaking, this is business, and there are few, if any, saints in business, so if that's the standard, then good luck with such unrealistic expectations. That, however, does not prevent one from applying objective, critical evaluations to the policies and practices that govern each business, even if that may fail to adhere to them or achieve their goals at all times.

We did the iPhone cuz it comes all set up and ready to go (idiot proof…for the most part), plus links with our iPads and Apple laptop, and all three kids use Apple stuff.

It honestly comes down to preference. I was a staunch anti-Apple anything person because that’s what I grew up with. My 1st 2 smart phones were androids, Galaxy s2 skyrocket and the HTC ONE. I then switched to iPhones with the 6, then got a 6S, then switched back to Samsung because I thought I wanted the ability to customize everything. I went back to iPhones and stuck with them since.

Apple products are like Toyota cars. They might not have the absolute latest and greatest tech or features, but they generally just work reliably.
They seem more durable also. Metal instead of plastic.

Back