Audi Says Goodbye to IC Engines

It is true about Audi, they market to the top end of the market, and the elite virtual signalers will be thrilled, however they will also lose quite a bit of market share to other car makers who realize that not every elitist will virtual signal. lol

I see VW leaving the US market for good if they are also going all electric in less than a decade. The truth is where there still is remnants of a free marketplace EVs will fail unless revolutionary advances are made to make them on par with the practicality and safety of the ICE.

It is true about Audi, they market to the top end of the market, and the elite virtual signalers will be thrilled, however they will also lose quite a bit of market share to other car makers who realize that not every elitist will virtual signal. lol

I see VW leaving the US market for good if they are also going all electric in less than a decade. The truth is where there still is remnants of a free marketplace EVs will fail unless revolutionary advances are made to make them on par with the practicality and safety of the ICE.
"Fail" may be too strong a word. I'm noticing more and more EVs on a weekly basis. In my neighborhood alone there's been the addition of three Nissan Leaf ( or is it leaves LOL) and two Kona's over the last couple months. Even my next door neighbor drives a Focus EV (with only a 100 mile range) and says he'll never go back to ICE. Infrastructure issues or not, this revolutionary change is happening in the present.

"Fail" may be too strong a word. I'm noticing more and more EVs on a weekly basis. In my neighborhood alone there's been the addition of three Nissan Leaf ( or is it leaves LOL) and two Kona's over the last couple months. Even my next door neighbor drives a Focus EV (with only a 100 mile range) and says he'll never go back to ICE. Infrastructure issues or not, this revolutionary change is happening in the present.
You are seeing subsidized early adopters.

Revolutionary change can’t happen without infrastructure changes.

That’s a bold opinion from your neighbor given his range limitations. I guess he will take the bus if he wants to travel.

You are seeing subsidized early adopters.

Revolutionary change can’t happen without infrastructure changes.

That’s a bold opinion from your neighbor given his range limitations. I guess he will take the bus if he wants to travel.
His wife drives a Chevy SUV. They use that when traveling. But man oh man does he love that Focus. I'm of the opinion that the infrastructure will come. It won't be a seamless transition and will take decades, but it's coming. A revolution has to start somewhere. Although I'm an ICE guy, I can see the change coming.

One of my primary concerns about EV is the serious danger of the inability to suppress fires in the batteries during emergencies, and
the potential danger of electrocution if DIY wants to try and do some service to their cars. Of course I have the issues with limited range, and the lack of infrastructure and considering our electrical grid is in less than ideal shape having millions of cars charging on it could cause havoc.

the potential danger of electrocution if DIY wants to try and do some service to their cars.
High voltage sounds dangerous, until you realize how flammable gasoline is. Might as well add brake cleaner too, and other solvents, stuff that has often been used willy-nilly around cars (and yes I'm guilty of using stuff willy-nilly).

Just how many people bother to lift the hood of their car? IIRC all the high voltage stuff is colored orange now and really easy to avoid. Take both items together and maybe it's just Darwin at work if anything bad actually does happen.

Nobody knows what's happening in 2033. Remember 12 years back, did anyone out there in 2009 know what's going on in 2021? I didn't. However I'd bet in 20 years most trucks and ships are still driven by Diesel engines.
I'm old enough to remember the early 1970's when it was said by some sources that petroleum reserves worldwide would be depleted for the most part within 50 years or so. Also during the 1970's , hydrogen fuel cell vehicles were being touted by some as the vehicle of the future. Still waiting. The dinosaur count may have been underestimated.

Last edited:
No more gas or diesel engines 12 years from now, except in China.

After everything this is all said and done, there will be a new car company that will emerge to continue to building ICE funded by oil producing countries.

Audi are only switching to a all electric line up around 2033. 2026 is when the last combustion engined car will be launched with a shelf life of 7 years.

I’ll preface this by saying I know EVs don’t work for everyone, or in every situation. Obviously.

But in the higher-end performance sedan and SUV market (BMW, Audi, Cadillac, MB, etc.) it seems pretty clear ICE will die here first.

Mercedes, BMW and Audi have making cars for 300+ years combined and all their turbo V8s have just been made obsolete by the Tesla Plaid powertrain. 700 HP won’t cut it anymore.

Even Audi’s own RS e-Tron GT is pretty much the quickest/smoothest/quietest car they’ve ever made. Why on earth would you go backwards on that advancement?!

Sorry guys/gals, EVs are here to stay simply because they’re superior vehicles IN CERTAIN SEGMENTS.

Last edited:
Audi are only switching to a all electric line up around 2033. 2026 is when the last combustion engined car will be launched with a shelf life of 7 years.
The plans will change I bet. Right now they are only plans. It's too early. There needs to be exact equivalent to gas car convenience which is going to take a long time, maybe never. Right now it is just a goal, nothing more. How about flying cars, that story has been around a hundred years, still no flying cars everywhere.

If you are living in an apartment, there should be charge stations to accommodate every vehicle in the premises parked at night. Other wise you will see power extension cords leading to all of the apartment units. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The EV trend is kind of alarming, and I don't like that it is being shoved down our throats so quickly. I can get on board with a hybrid, no problem. But pure EV is a stretch. More and more EVs are showing up out here in the 'burbs, yet there are virtually no public charging stations around here. Most of these owners are charging up at home. I suppose the day will quickly come where most houses will have cars in the driveway with cords running from them. Not ready for that.

ICE cars won't just suddenly go away, unless they are flat-out outlawed which will never happen. However as EV takes hold, and demand for gas goes down, gas prices might increase to the point where people are forced to get an EV due to cost. Plus, if EVs became that common place, and ICE cars fall out of favor and demand, the value of ICE vehicles will plummet.

It is surprising that the automakers are so quick to sell vehicles that require very little maintenance. The service department is a huge revenue source for dealers, yet they want to embrace selling vehicles that do not need routine maintenance such as oil changes, fluid changes, etc. Maybe that is their goal...eventually go to a service model where the techs only do brake work and tires, and everything else is fixable with a software update?
EV is pure politics. Electric is less efficient than Gas vehicles, and therefore are more polluting. My Taurus can get 550 miles in one tank, an electric car of similar size can get a little above 300. Where does the electricity come from? Coal. Electric vehicles are more expensive, don't last as long, and are much heavier, which means they are more dangerous and will be more maintenance intensive on brakes, suspension, and tires.

The reason politicians of a certain stripe are shoving EV down your throat is because they want to collapse your living standards, because they hate you. They don't want you driving as much, getting out as much, or consuming as much. This is all part of the "Great Reset." If you buy an electric vehicle, you're a fool.

If you are living in an apartment, there should be charge stations to accommodate every vehicle in the premises parked at night. Other wise you will see power extension cords leading to all of the apartment units. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I believe they're already tackling this with wireless technology in the UK. And the innovations will continue roll out.

Good for Audi. They can compliment their ICE with upscale VW offerings if needed.

Guessing the terrible car makers like Nissan and Mitsubishi will keep the ICE antique stuff around to fill the void. Sort of like the Frontier being sold with 12-14 year old design.

EV is pure politics. Electric is less efficient than Gas vehicles, and therefore are more polluting. My Taurus can get 550 miles in one tank, an electric car of similar size can get a little above 300. Where does the electricity come from? Coal. Electric vehicles are more expensive, don't last as long, and are much heavier, which means they are more dangerous and will be more maintenance intensive on brakes, suspension, and tires.

The reason politicians of a certain stripe are shoving EV down your throat is because they want to collapse your living standards, because they hate you. They don't want you driving as much, getting out as much, or consuming as much. This is all part of the "Great Reset." If you buy an electric vehicle, you're a fool.

I don't own an EV but this is total nonsense. Since when doesn't a government want people to go out and spend money? That's how they make money.

Clearly, not everywhere uses coal for power generation. The Vancouver area for example has the highest fuel prices in North America and relative cheap electricity that is 100% generated from hydro. EVs are everywhere here because it costs about 15% as much in electrical cost than it would in fuel cost to cover the same distance. From a financial standpoint its almost stupid not to drive one. And yes, it is cleaner.

Funny you mention the 240V outlets. Building codes are revised* every two years and pre-wiring for EV's was one of the proposed additions to the most recent revision. Ultimately it was never adopted due to objections from the homebuilders association.

*Adoption is ultimately left up to the states.

Residential_State_Code_Map_3_30_2021.png
I call it a revision "for MIG and TIG welders"in the garage. :)

I believe they're already tackling this with wireless technology in the UK. And the innovations will continue roll out.
Oh that's just wonderful, the effects of WPT on the human body are still unknown. charging a cell phone is one thing but a car?
No problem I guess if the objective is to thin the herd which I believe it is. Welcome to the world of Dr Raymond Cocteau, seriously.

Building codes are revised* every two years and pre-wiring for EV's was one of the proposed additions to the most recent revision.
Yeah - that's what I want. A building code spending more of my money on something I don't even need. 240v in the garage? Sure - for a welder!

Maybe they should also mandate HC ramps in all homes, even for people who aren't handicapped, don't have handicapped family or friends.
Maybe they should mandate whole-house HEPA filter systems for all homes, so that I can pay for the next potential homeowner 15 years from now who may or may not have severe allergies.
Maybe I should have to wire 240v outlets for an electric water heater, electric stove, and electric dryer ... though I'm on natural gas.
Maybe I should have to include CAT5/6 cable in every room, just in case the next family wants ethernet in their bedrooms.
Maybe I should be made to install a HC accessible shower on the main floor also, just in case the next family has their 82 year old MIL living with them and needs it.

- As a firearms owner, I'd like the building code to include a requirement for a walk-in 8" thick concrete-wall vault for gun/ammo storage. I mean, if I have to pay for an outlet I don't need, then others can pay for the vault I'd like to see in every basement or garage when I go to buy my next home.
- And, they should have to build every new home with a garage at least 26' x 26' x 12' high clear-span, so that I can get my 2-post car lift into the garage.
- Let's make sure every garage also has a recessed in-floor motorcycle lift for tire changes, too.
- They can also mandate a 240v outlet in the basement for my wife's pottery kiln, while they're at it.

My Point? If they can mandate me to purchase a product I don't need but the next person wants, then I should be able to demand every home have stuff that I want to see included in every potential home for my future as well! I"m not anti-government or anti-regulation. I'm against the forced purchases of a product I have no need for. Mandatory code for smoke detectors in new home construction? Sure - that's a safety item. Same goes for CO detectors. Those both are proven to save lives. But I'm not aware of an EV being able to save my life from an acute catastrophic event just because of an outleft in the garage. For that matter, what if the next family doesn't even have personal vehicular transportation???? What if they only own bicycles and ride city buses? Should they have to pay for the EV outlet also????

NOTE - I realize it wasn't the suggestion of BMWTurboDzl to have these plugs; he was just passing on the info. Not his fault and my ire isn't directed him personally.

Last edited:
Back