Audi Says Goodbye to IC Engines

No more gas or diesel engines 12 years from now, except in China.

The exact timing of the combustion engine’s discontinuation at Audi will ultimately be decided by customers and legislation. The company expects to see continued demand in China beyond 2033, which is why there could be a supply of vehicles there with combustion engines manufactured locally. At the same time, Audi will significantly expand its range of all-electric models.

And when the next study comes out linking electric cars and all their electrons buzzing around just inches from the passengers, with causing cancer, what then? I'm still waiting on that affordable flying car they said will solve all the traffic problems.
Automakers are not dumb, they will just hire DuPonts lawyers to negotiate a few settlements and declare that there is nothing to see here .

And when the next study comes out linking electric cars and all their electrons buzzing around just inches from the passengers, with causing cancer, what then? I'm still waiting on that affordable flying car they said will solve all the traffic problems.
Don't forget EM exposure from induction ranges. Very scary stuff best left to the professionals.

images

...Edison thought DC was the way to go and electrocuted an elephant with AC to prove it. It will happen when the economic stack becomes smaller than all others. Electric everything wont replace chemical energy as long as you can pump some xxx million year old goo from the ground into a metal can and use it to do real work.

There will be lots of advances on electric vehicles in 12 years. I can see this happening, I can also see it failing. Audi may be all electric but I am sure there will still be ice cars available 12 years from now.

There will be lots of advances on electric vehicles in 12 years. I can see this happening, I can also see it failing. Audi may be all electric but I am sure there will still be ice cars available 12 years from now.
I agree but there will/might be an inflection point in 10 to 15 years where gas stations start disappearing and new houses come standard with 240 V outlets in the garage.

Sure there will be advances in the vehicles but what about the grid? Here in MA it is almost like a sub Saharan African set up, electric cables on wooden sticks. The morons that run this fiasco cant keep the friggin lights on never mind the load of tens of thousands of EV's. 5AM this morning the lights went out for a few hours hours, my place was up along with the internet with auto generator but the poor bugger next door was going to work with no coffee (he came in for a cup totally PO'd).

My generator is up and down like a fiddlers elbow. In Germany almost every cable is underground, they very rarely have any sort of interruption, I did loose power one day but a week before they sent me a note saying there were connecting a new house and my power would be down between 13:00-14:00pm, 14:00 on the dot it was up. The geniuses at VW/Audi must think everywhere is like there.

The EV trend is kind of alarming, and I don't like that it is being shoved down our throats so quickly. I can get on board with a hybrid, no problem. But pure EV is a stretch. More and more EVs are showing up out here in the 'burbs, yet there are virtually no public charging stations around here. Most of these owners are charging up at home. I suppose the day will quickly come where most houses will have cars in the driveway with cords running from them. Not ready for that.

ICE cars won't just suddenly go away, unless they are flat-out outlawed which will never happen. However as EV takes hold, and demand for gas goes down, gas prices might increase to the point where people are forced to get an EV due to cost. Plus, if EVs became that common place, and ICE cars fall out of favor and demand, the value of ICE vehicles will plummet.

It is surprising that the automakers are so quick to sell vehicles that require very little maintenance. The service department is a huge revenue source for dealers, yet they want to embrace selling vehicles that do not need routine maintenance such as oil changes, fluid changes, etc. Maybe that is their goal...eventually go to a service model where the techs only do brake work and tires, and everything else is fixable with a software update?

Regardless of what happens, right now this is all a virtue signal. This is the equivalent of when the prius first hit the scenes and hybrids came about.
As an enthusiast who has a preference for 6 speeds, I couldn't get on board. But they don't build cars for us anymore anyway.

Perhaps in certain developed countries, because that's not happening in the Middle East, Africa or the Indian subcontinent unless they intend on pulling out of those markets.

Quite a few folks tried to get a trend started here by privately importing Teslas and setting up power outlets in their houses. A couple months after, they were all parked for the summer and only taken out in winter. Typical complaints were severely reduced battery life and AC efficiency.

It’s just virtue signaling. If they really wanted to make a difference they would phase out ICE in China…
Agree 100%.

And from a practical point of view..
We live an hours drive from the nearest city which has medical, business etc. that we don't have in our small town. I don't see an EV as viable for my household at all during a Canadian winter -30 deg day - with interior heat, window defroster, etc. being used. Not just the trip there and back, but running around the city as well. Battery technology and pricing would have to improve quite a bit from where it is now. Never mind the infrastructure.

Last edited:
I agree but there will/might be an inflection point in 10 to 15 years where gas stations start disappearing and new houses come standard with 240 V outlets in the garage.
Funny you mention the 240V outlets. Building codes are revised* every two years and pre-wiring for EV's was one of the proposed additions to the most recent revision. Ultimately it was never adopted due to objections from the homebuilders association.

*Adoption is ultimately left up to the states.

Residential_State_Code_Map_3_30_2021.png

Last edited:
Back