Audi Says Goodbye to IC Engines

I think these automakers who are already committing themselves to a "no more ICE vehicles" date are being stupid. None of them can possibly know what the future holds as far as going all EV. I think their outlook should be more of a "let's wait and see" approach...
Toyota's approach.

I think these automakers who are already committing themselves to a "no more ICE vehicles" date are being stupid. None of them can possibly know what the future holds as far as going all EV. I think their outlook should be more of a "let's wait and see" approach...
It's all political feel good stuff. Media presence is very important for the brands. You can bet that if Audi could make more money on ICE in 10 years they would certainly go that way instead.

It's all political feel good stuff. Media presence is very important for the brands. You can bet that if Audi could make more money on ICE in 10 years they would certainly go that way instead.
Exactly. As Matt from The Smoking Tire has said, saying you’re getting rid of gas cars by 20XX is front page news, when it inevitably gets pushed out its somewhere on page 10 and nobody really talks about it.

They DO know what the future holds. The Chinese and Europeans want cleaner air and not only have their govts mandated that it happen by X date they've also given hundreds of millions in subsidies to automakers in order to help them make it happen. Basically there's no going back.

Now whether it's successful is on thing but a transition to BEV/Hybrid is not going to stop.

They DO know what the future holds. The Chinese and Europeans want cleaner air and not only have their govts mandated that it happen by X date they've also given hundreds of millions in subsidies to automakers in order to help them make it happen. Basically there's no going back.

Now whether it's successful is on thing but a transition to BEV/Hybrid is not going to stop.
I wouldn't put the Chicoms in that group, what they say and what they do are two completely different things. China's goal is world economic domination, human life, the environment and anything else is of no consequence.

I wouldn't put the Chicoms in that group, what they say and what they do are two completely different things. China's goal is world economic domination, human life, the environment and anything else is of no consequence.
Ya perhaps they also want to insulate themselves from being offended.

As usual the infrastructure is not even at the starting line!
We'll have power shortages if they do not move their a$$es
Baloney.....things can and will change when change has to happen. Just like anything else.....we will get adjust. It's the chicken or the egg problem. Do you upgrade the electrical infracture before it's needed? Don't think so.

Nonsense. The interstates are clogged with motorists of all sorts, all of whom need far more energy density than batteries can provide. Jaguar, Audi, VW and others will find themselves unable to sell their products to customers with real needs.
99.99% of trips are EASILY within an EV's range. So sure, there will be ICE cars, but a lot less. And it will be lower cost to own an EV to top that off.

It is coming, no doubt, but there's no way the automakers can possibly put a date on it...

Do you think you could come up with a post with even more lies that this one? Seriously.....is this the Donald talking here?
I think you've got the wrong side mentioned in your question, besides your post is violating the no P rule...

Baloney.....things can and will change when change has to happen. Just like anything else.....we will get adjust. It's the chicken or the egg problem. Do you upgrade the electrical infracture before it's needed? Don't think so.
We just had 4 power outages in 4 days that lasted 3 hours or longer along with power surges and 2 in the last 2 weeks before that. They cant even keep the friggin lights on man. EV will not be popular or widespead in the NE, I would bet money on that.

The EV trend is kind of alarming, and I don't like that it is being shoved down our throats so quickly. I can get on board with a hybrid, no problem. But pure EV is a stretch.
I agree.....EV's wont cut it in all climates. Hybrids are the way to go. Plus there gonna have to come up with chargers that either run on stored power or gasoline in case the power goes out.

Bottom line is that EVs require many large quantities of rare metals not just for the batteries, but for the motors and the reality is that just isn't enough of those metals to actually meet market demands, on top of that the electrical grids will NOT handle large numbers of EV charging.

At least in the USA those companies that say they are only making EVs will leave our market and to that I say good riddance.

I agree but there will/might be an inflection point in 10 to 15 years where gas stations start disappearing and new houses come standard with 240 V outlets in the garage.
Seems to me that electric charge stations will start to addition to, or even replace, some of the existing gas pumps at these locations. Cant let a good gas station network go to waste!

Back