At Ford Quality is Now Problem 1

I owned a 2011 Fiesta with the 6-speed duel clutch. The clutch plates failed every 25,000 miles, at 125,000 miles it needed its 5th set of clutches. The tech at Ford told me the only way to fix this car was to sell it. Never again, they knew the transmission was bad and continued selling these junk cars.
Why I bought my 2013 (new) with a 5-speed....unreal reliability from it in ~10 years/120K miles. The DCT...er..."Power $hit"...was straight trash.

I am trying to understand what they are attempting to accomplish by monitoring social media. 94.8% of drivers do not understand the mechanical side of cars and the 5.2% that do are not on social media (for the most part).
Forums and FB groups are a great place to get an idea of what problems are happening on new vehicles. Sure, many have no idea and are reporting issues that are user-error but if you are knowledgeable you should be able to easily see what common issues are going on.

Why I bought my 2013 (new) with a 5-speed....unreal reliability from it in ~10 years/120K miles. The DCT...er..."Power $hit"...was straight trash.
Was that the DCT that had a wet-clutch version in Europe that was pretty good and they turned into a dry-clutch version for the US to save money and it was a disaster? Didn't know before mass producing it that it was also going to be a problem?

Was that the DCT that had a wet-clutch version in Europe that was pretty good and they turned into a dry-clutch version for the US to save money and it was a disaster? Didn't know before mass producing it that it was also going to be a problem?
I can't recall the wet vs. dry issue - I just know the DCT here in the U.S. on the Focus and Fiesta was a train wreck. Combine that with people buying economy cars not understanding what a DCT is and that it's not a standard/slush-box auto compounded it with excessive creeping in traffic, harder shifts that are somewhat normal in dual-clutches etc. During my research back then I remember seeing the issues with the first model year of the MK3 Focus and saying "I'll take the 5-speed"...great decision. The MX75 is bulletproof and the car has had brakes/battery and an engine mount in 9.5 years. With that said the DSG (VW's name for their DCT) is absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
Ford is a company that I really want to see succeed as such an iconic American brand but I'm disappointed in their quality issues. After well over a century they should be able to consistently build some of the best vehicles on the road. I don't think most people are as brand loyal as they used to be so they're going to need to start winning people over by building superior products. The days of "I drive a Ford because my dad drove a Ford, and his dad drove a Ford, etc." are probably just about over.

We've got 9 Fords within my (admittedly large) family and all have been good cars, several have been absolutely great cars, none have been bad. None are particularly new either, most fall in the 2010 to 2017 range so that makes me wonder if things really started to turn the wrong direction the last several years?

They have introduced a slew of new products very quickly, amidst a pandemic no less that can't be helping.

If I were to buy a new domestic today Ford would still be at the top of my list by far, but I'd do some research first.

Ford is a company that I really want to see succeed as such an iconic American brand but I'm disappointed in their quality issues. After well over a century they should be able to consistently build some of the best vehicles on the road. I don't think most people are as brand loyal as they used to be so they're going to need to start winning people over by building superior products. The days of "I drive a Ford because my dad drove a Ford, and his dad drove a Ford, etc." are probably just about over.
They have a systemic cultural problem and not only do I not think Alan has what it takes to correct it - I think the current culture was entirely his design.

I also question putting a new transmission, specifically the dual clutch transmission into 2 vehicles at around the same time instead of only putting it into one and seeing how that works out before putting it into another vehicle. Right now I think it's mostly the eccoboost engines made before a certain year.

My company uses Ford transits for the field guys,they get rid of them when they are close to 100K miles because that's when the transmissions start to fail.
All the company big shots have company Ford trucks.
I don't understand the fascination with Fords but I'm a peon and dont question it,none of my concern.

I owned a 2011 Fiesta with the 6-speed duel clutch. The clutch plates failed every 25,000 miles, at 125,000 miles it needed its 5th set of clutches. The tech at Ford told me the only way to fix this car was to sell it. Never again, they knew the transmission was bad and continued selling these junk cars.

And got nothing more than a slap on the hand and a warranty extension for the older years that were normally already out of the warranty "extension."

We've got 9 Fords within my (admittedly large) family and all have been good cars, several have been absolutely great cars, none have been bad. None are particularly new either, most fall in the 2010 to 2017 range so that makes me wonder if things really started to turn the wrong direction the last several years?

They have introduced a slew of new products very quickly, amidst a pandemic no less that can't be helping.

If I were to buy a new domestic today Ford would still be at the top of my list by far, but I'd do some research first.
It's a shame because Ford has done some things very well IMO. The Bronco is a well thought out vehicle and the F-150 gas/electric are also very good. I wasn't aware their quality was that bad in recent years. I think quality is spotty for any brand over the last 2 years due to Covid though.

This is sad to hear. I just don't get it. There shoud be huge benefit from their hundred years of car manufacturing.
"Wait till the big boys to get in."

I just don't get it. Sad.
Ford is not “big” boy for a long time. Yes, they sell a lot of vehicles but when it comes to actually having an impact on development of auto industry, legacy American manufacturers fell behind loooong time ago.
No one expects from GM and Ford to offer anything that is innovative. They muddle through the business environment with trucks to address insecurity issues their audience has. Sell cars to rental companies, police, government. And that is about it.

No one expects from GM and Ford to offer anything that is innovative. They muddle through the business environment with trucks to address insecurity issues their audience has.

Their trucks don't even begin to address my insecurity issues. Only the Bronco two door with the manual even makes an effort. Me gonna need a V8 with a Tremec manual and two sticks on the floor to feel safe again.

My dad always bought Fords and Lincolns when I was younger. He switched to GMC when Ford exited the mid size truck market. I was always Ford but liked the Colorado he had. So I switched to GM and have a Silverado and GMC Canyon now. Like their trucks.

IMO Ford has a cultural problem of profits above all else which caused these problems.

All companies exist to make a profit and that is their top priority. If they are announcing customer sarisfaction, world-saving agendas, or some other virtuous cause, it is just advertising for more profits. Profits being number 1 priority shouldn’t treated as bad. Let the best quality companies thrive financially and the poorly run ones fail. But don’t think that companies exist for anything beyond making a profit. Anything else is charity or government.

If subpar quality is Ford’s problem, let declining profits motivate them to fix it. Profit motivates all.

1) Definitely read "The Reckoning" by David Halberstam. The history bits along the way are what many of us here can remember.

2) Yeah, yeah...three cheers for profits but going about things stupidly or carelessly is not how to do it. See #1 above.

3) Ridiculously overpaid execs who can't effect correction are just riding the wave. They're not doing anything good, people. They're too insulated.

I have a couple of friends who have purchased a few higher end F-150's in the past few years. One ended up with a basically non-fixable & dangerous adaptive cruise control issue that caused the vehicle to speed up when it should have slowed. The dealer gave close to a 100% refund on a several year vehicle (and probably sold it to some unsuspecting buyer). The new truck purchased then had quite a few issues resulting in a shop stay of about a month (and counting). Another friend had far too many issues on a nearly new truck. This could be an isolated problem based on my observations of an extremely small & tiny sample size. Or maybe not.

As a point A to B buyer of basic Japanese manufactured vehicles, I am amazed as I am used to running long and hard with mostly only oil changes, brakes and tire work needed to keep those vehicles going for quite a few years and miles.

I have a couple of friends who have purchased a few higher end F-150's in the past few years. One ended up with a basically non-fixable & dangerous adaptive cruise control issue that caused the vehicle to speed up when it should have slowed. The dealer gave close to a 100% refund on a several year vehicle (and probably sold it to some unsuspecting buyer). The new truck purchased then had quite a few issues resulting in a shop stay of about a month (and counting). Another friend had far too many issues on a nearly new truck. This could be an isolated problem based on my observations of an extremely small & tiny sample size. Or maybe not.

As a point A to B buyer of basic Japanese manufactured vehicles, I am amazed as I am used to running long and hard with mostly only oil changes, brakes and tire work needed to keep those vehicles going for quite a few years and miles.
Ford totally can do A to B vehicles that need nothing but basic maintenance despite being run hard. Like my 2010 Escape.

It’s a bummer the new stuff isn’t like that.

Back